Would you fly now? I will on Friday.

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by pittpa, Apr 7, 2020.

1. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Heading home. Can't wait. Yeah, I know the weather is better here. But all my toys are at home. If I don't go now, not sure when it will be any safer or how many flights will be available.

I've been in Scottsdale since 3/10, almost a month. I have a 3.5-4 hour non-stop on Southwest scheduled on Friday morning. I have an N-95 mask, am over 60 by a little and am otherwise healthy. I've heard flights are typically less than 10% occupied. My friend flew back via American 10 days ago with 7 other passengers. Southwest recently flew 56 flights in one day that had no passengers. I figure with low passenger loads, now is as good a time as ever.

I have a family member taking me to the Airport here. I reserved a one-way rental in Pittsburgh so I don't have to ride in a cab/Uber in traffic to get home. The $33 charge for the SUV rental is less than a cab or Uber/Lyft. I can drop it off near my home.

spork likes this.
  2. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

Have a safe trip. Stay well.

Batesmotel and pjanthony like this.

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Yes, safe trip home! Might want to ensure that you have TSA-permitted sizes of hand sanitizer, etc., for your carry-on (extra N95s, gloves, all that happy stuff, plus something for sanitizing 'wipes' to do your tray table, seat arm rests and hardware, all that stuff.)

Just thought: what about (in gloves & mask before settling in) ditching any magazines or other written materials left in the seat pouch just ahead of yours?

Given the current travel restrictions, I would anticipate precious few other passengers.

In answer, there are only a couple of reasons I would fly commercial currently: adult son's health (ATL area) being the primary.

pittpa likes this.
  4. rock_castle

rock_castle Stay home if you're afraid of the flu

I would if I had somewhere to go.

pittpa likes this.
  5. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

N95 mask, hand sanitizer and maybe, some gloves...and you're good to go.

6. mj9mm

mj9mm

My sister works the gates for an airline. yes, she says you will have most of the plane to yourself, but be warned, passengers are the dirtiest people on earth. even though you have space, it seems some turd will get close enough to hack all over you... it's what they do...

pittpa likes this.
  7. pittpa

Egg zactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. pittpa

And that’s how a Detroit bus driver just died. No kidding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny...oronavirus-detroit-jason-hargrove-us/6081504/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj9mm likes this.
  9. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I have said a prayer for your safety

pittpa likes this.
  10. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I wouldn’t want to but I’m guessing the plane will be pretty empty so that would be fine.

if it’s crowded and you are sitting next to a Mr. Chang who is coughing up a lung, I would be nervous

faceplant likes this.
  11. nerr

nerr

In your case, going home, yes. As said above, social distancing should not be a problem due to way fewer passengers. Airlines are sounding really serious about disinfecting, though what counts is what happened on last flight at your seat and what airline did to fix it. Airline cabin air HEPA filters are supposedly pretty good, but I'd still mask, glove, and have max 3oz of sanitizer on board (and maybe some more packed in checked luggage in case you get stuck somewhere).

Having gotten home I don't think I'd fly anywhere else unless I had to for a while. I'd not worry that the airlines or actual trip would overly endanger me much more than other things, but that weirdness going on outside the terminal might strand me somewhere (that was why we did not take a road trip mid-March).

Good luck.

12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Be mindful, wash your hands, etc and you’ll likely be just fine.

13. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I'm anxious to get back to SW Florida, but I don't have to go...so I won't.

I'm an older gent with a few ailments, so I just can't afford to get this killer virus. It only takes a single exposure to begin the path to hospitalization and a fight for life.

The risk of going through the airport routine at both ends of the journey, boarding/exiting the plane, occupying a public passenger seat and public restroom use somewhere along the way is more risk than I want at this point.

I'm taking this virus very seriously for myself and family members I come into contact with. That's how I'm looking at air travel today. If it ain't necessary, why chance it?

14. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

A dumb-sounding, but not an intentionally dumb question, of sorts:

How is the TSA going to feel airline passengers up and all that, from 6ft. away from said passenger(s) ?

faceplant likes this.