Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Values. Can't be bought.
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading my March American Rifleman, saw an ad for Novx ammo. Some of the copy jumped out at me, claiming it was among other things, "the most deadly ammunition in history" and "ARX fluted design inflicts lethal performance". This reminds me of the demise of Black Talon ammo. Would anyone have reservations about carrying a round that is touted by the maker to be the most deadly ever? Here is a screen shot from their video on YT.
Bullet Ammunition Font Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Banned
4,989 Posts
I have some of that in my Glock Mags now. It was made by Ruger and he told me there is no more to be found. I found it to be VERY accurate out of my (in this case) G19. I am not a bullet snob and will usually fire anything but corrosive and steel cased ammo out of my handguns, but this stuff, to reiterate, was dang accurate!

Reactions: motorcycleman

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
There are a fair number of choices that in addition to some decent engineering also have a track record of having millions of rounds fired through thousands of different guns in both range and actual use.

Reactions: Fred Hansen

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
I have some of that in my Glock Mags now.
Is that the ammo with a stainless steel case? I thought I remember seeing this stuff in a magazine. I also thought I remember seeing it has SS casings for reloading and something else I can't remember. I know I saw a SS round, just might not be this one.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How is their claim of "most lethal 9mm round on earth" even quantifiable?

I don't know for sure, but my educated guess would be that 9mm FMJ rounds have caused more deaths than all other hollowpoint/fluted rounds combined. So wouldn't that make the FMJ the "deadliest 9mm round on earth"?

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Bonjour.

Reactions: Fred Hansen

·
Values. Can't be bought.
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that the ammo with a stainless steel case? I thought I remember seeing this stuff in a magazine. I also thought I remember seeing it has SS casings for reloading and something else I can't remember. I know I saw a SS round, just might not be this one.
Yes, SS, whatever NAS3 is.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
It's sort of like I never wanted to buy a box of Hornady's Zombie Max ammo for fear that it could end up being trotted out in front of a jury were I ever involved in a shooting.

·
20,725 Posts
That ammo which is basically FMJ ammo with "Magic Flutes" was specifically designed to be "Devastating" in ballistic gel.

And trading mass for velocity can produce more foot pounds of energy on paper such as with a 55 grain bullet fired out of a 22-250 which develops more foot pounds of energy than your average 45/70 load. But which is more effective in the real world against large angry bears?

There have also been reports of that ARX composite bullet ammo having the bullets breaking apart in the gun.

Ir's best to ignore unproven magic "Gimmick" ammo and stick to what has been proven to work by Law enforcement. 124 and 147 grain Gold dot, HST, and Ranger T ammo in 9mm, 40, 357 Sig and 45 ACP.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
if indeed it were the most deadly ammo then I would get that in my gun asap. When defending your family and your life, you have the RIGHT to use whatever means you have to stop a deadly threat. If we are worried about lawyers then we had better not carry guns and carry daisies instead. As for me, I want to win a deadly fight, not hold back to be "fair"

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
What I want to know is have any of you actually seen these bullets chip or crumble in the gun, or did you hear it from a friend of a neighbors second cousin? Normally I carry 200gr +P Gold Dots in my .45, but currently have the ARX 118gr in my Shield. I clear my gun almost daily, and not one of these bullets even show a scratch, let alone chipping or crumbling. Very accurate, soft shooting, and to see it perform, simply shoot a milk jug full of water. It doesn't poke holes, it obliterates things. I'm generally not a gimmick guy either, but I do understand fluid dynamics, and these make tremendous use of rotational energy. A grazing shot with one of these would probably stop a fight, two, center of mass, will no doubt end the threat permanently. They've also been shown to penetrate barriers and still do the job, not shown to over penetrate, and into metal plate, become frangible. I'm not going to try and sell everyone on these, use what you're comfortable with. Yes they're new, and yes they're different, but all the research I did leads me to believe this will be the new defense ammo of the future. If at some point and time they show to be less than what I want in defensive ammo, the Gold Dots are in the drawer waiting.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
If it had proven street cred across multiple LEA's, was readily available, affordably priced, and ran reliably and accurately for me in my guns, I would

Reactions: refugeepj

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
I keep a mag in my .458 Socom by the bed. 140gr. @ 3000 fps. It certainly is as explosive as they claim.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts