Would You Carry A 43 Or A 19?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Tuco 44, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I try to always carry the most gun that I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocPoison and PeterG like this.
  2. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

3. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

First of all, I do not do the rotation thing. I prefer to carry the same thing all the time. I’m not a big fan of pocket carry either. But, and a big but, since moving to Texas I’ve started pocket carrying a G43 in the hot summer months and a G19 IWB in the winter months. I carry the 19 most of the time but during the really hot, cargo shorts and t-shirt weather I carry the 43.

teeceetx and fredj338 like this.
  4. Big1

Big1

I have been carrying my G19 now for the pass one or two months but on Sunday when I wear a suit I carry my P365, Shield 9mm, .40 S&W or my Shield .45 acp.

5. BBMW

BBMW

The reason to carry a 43 is that you can't carry a 19. If you can, and will, carry a 19, you should.

DocPoison likes this.
  6. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I bought a blue label Glock 26 Gen 5 during the last Salute to Veteran's promotion. I had a choice between it and a Glock 43. The 26 felt better in my hand. No regrets.

G19 fan and DocPoison like this.
  7. DocPoison

DocPoison

I carry a G19 right but am seriously considering a 43X with RMR.

D1C0A509-E1AC-4F0D-BC48-1CD8A624DD45.jpeg

Big1 likes this.
  8. DSinOR

DSinOR

My G19 is Gen 2. Don't know if they all are, but mine is absurdly accurate. So that's my choice.

GlockyQ and DocPoison like this.
  9. fredj338

fredj338

I love the g19/23/32, just curious what your benchmark is for "absurdly accurate". I any service pistol/caliber accurate enough for SD work. I love the g19 be ause I find it very shootable, regardless of how long I have not shot it.:cheers:

10. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

My main carry is a G19 year all around but I’ve recently gone to a G29 and G30. Same size approximately but bigger rounds. 11 rounds of 45 acp or 10mm with 2 mag reloads is enough

Carried a Shield for years prior but had a incident last year that came close to me drawing and I suddenly felt very underarmed with a subcompact 9mm (guy went back to his van across the street and was rummaging around, thought he was going to come out with a weapon ). The G30 or my G29 with a red dot makes me FEEL better and the psychological comfort is something I need to factor in.

Big1 likes this.
  11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I CCWed a Kahr K9 for about 6 years (from 1999 to mid-2006) and looking back, still fondly remember how much more easier the single stack K9 was to CCW when compared to the G19/G26. But after taking at least half a dozen pistol classes using the thin K9, the G19 and the G26, there was no question I presented and shot the G19 best. And I figured the one time I'm going to need a gun, like 2.3 seconds ago, I want to have on me the gun I present and shoot best, which is the G19.

Big1, Will Beararms and G19 fan like this.
  12. DSinOR

DSinOR

Hi Fred.
    First a correction: both my Glocks have finger slots and rails, so I guess they are gen 3. :rolleyes:

I bought them in 2006, installed aftermarket connectors & slide stops & slide springs, and polished all the normal parts/surfaces for good trigger.
    According to my notes, the slide springs were too light, so I went back to stock.

About 10 years ago, my son and I shot a year of USPSA and then a couple years of local 3-gun.

We loaded a lot of ammo.
    For pistol, we tried different bullets, 3 bullet weights, different OAL's, powders, etc.

We chrono'd many 8-shot groups from benchrest at 25yd targets. The goal was minimum 127PF and as accurate as possible from multiple different guns. The latter goal never worked out. I had 9mm autos in Glock, Taurus, Bersa, Sig, and a Beretta 92, and they all liked different loads for tightest group.

Discoveries:
    9mm is very sensitive to COAL, longer is better.
    The G17 was almost always the most accurate of my bunch, with the G19 almost always coming in 2nd.
    Both my Glocks liked Remington factory 115gr HP ammo, very accurate, but the supply ran out and I never bought any more 9mm ammunition.
    With plated or coated 124's shot from a rest at 25yds, the G17 can make 2" groups and the G19 can hold well under 3".
    Both guns shoot 147's well enough for uspsa, but they shoot 124's into smaller groups.

That's not crazy accurate for a target pistol, but for a mostly stock 4" 9mm auto, I'm still astounded by it.
    My 3-gun matches featured 80-yd steel (bonus target), and the G19 was good for that target all day long.

HTH!

Dave

13. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Carry the pistol that you shoot best with the caveat that there are times when a Glock 43-size pistol is a necessity.

Tuco 44 likes this.
  14. jetflier1989

jetflier1989

I vote G19.

After carrying a 19 IWB on the LE job during my last 10 years, then EDC another six years retired. I gave serious thought to a 43. I actually went to my LGS with cash in pocket and after fondling the 43 would you believe I walked out with another 19! I guess I prefer “cop guns” as that is what I’ve been told the 19 with all the smaller, thinner options available today has evolved into.

So the smaller gun urge has pass and I’ve been rotating between my two 19’s, which are a Gen3 w/Trijicon’s and the new gun a Gen4 summer special front serrations w/Glock night sights. I live in South Florida but never wear cargos as my legs would surely be sued for lack of support! My IWB holster is a horse hide tail gunner by High Noon and I buy my shirts appropriately to avoid printing.

We all have to find and use what we think is best for us.

Patchman and G19 fan like this.
  15. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

If the choice is between a G19 or a G43, I’d recommend a G43X. IMHO, it’s a great balance between both.

Big1 likes this.
  16. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Glad I'm not alone! G19 in IWB and OWB since 1999 and because i'm planning to retire at the end of this year, I've been looking hard at a smaller gun. Gathered plenty of recommendations and opinions, etc... Evaluated the threat level I might face in retirement (no more daily commuting (at late hours), less chance of facing road rage, much less hanging out late at night, etc...). Even played with some of the smaller guns.

My final decision is I'm staying with the G19 and G26. As I see it, the older I get (and less agility inclined), I'm going to stay with the G19/G26 I'm already familiar with (muscle memory etc.) and that I present and shoot best with, not small guns that I'll be fumbling with.

Everyones' MMV.

17. Tino_Bustamante

Tino_Bustamante

I mostly carry my g43 than g27

18. G19 fan

G19 fan

The single stack guns just feel too small to me personally. My primary EDC is my 19 & my 26 gets to come out of the safe & play on occasion.

19. powernoodle

powernoodle

This is a sound approach. I have been carrying for 20+ years, and have deployed my gun zero times. So the data tells me to bias my calculus toward comfort, as long as adequate utility is maintained. There is a 100% chance I will be carrying, and a statistically zero percent chance that I will ever shoot someone. One can either embrace that reality, or not. Most people fall into the "not" category.

Maxx702, Grabbrass and SilentRecon like this.
  20. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

Preach!! Agree

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk