Would You Carry A 43 Or A 19?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Tuco 44, Jan 25, 2020.

1. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Comfort counts for a lot. The 43 is plenty of gun for CC. It's a one in a billion chance you'll ever need anything with more rounds.
    I'll take the comfort and play the odds.

GlockyQ, fg17 and SilentRecon like this.
  2. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I’ve found I like lite guns. 6+1 of 9mm is plenty. I do carry a 19 when I’m selling insurance in the hood with the single stack in the dash for quick grab. And I have grabbed it before passing hang bangers. I’d actually like to go bigger to an AR pistol because it’s while driving I feel most vulnerable. I think most hood rats would run at the sight of AR pistol or shock wave.

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Why choose? Carry both?

I carry a Sig Sauer P365, Glock 19 and S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

azbuckeye likes this.
  4. GWG19

GWG19

5. Teecher45

Teecher45

You’re right about this, IMO.
    We focus so much to prepare for the worst, which isn’t a bad thing, and shooting/training is fun.
    But the chances of me shooting anything but paper is really low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredj338 likes this.
  6. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I'm not gonna carry any semi with a short 5# trigger pull that doesn't have a safety. My current carry is a 642 revolver.

7. fredj338

fredj338

There are probably more ND with guns having safeties. A safety just isnt required unless you are toting a 1911 or simethng else that is a SA.

Tuco 44 likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

Yes but I still assume my fight will require more than a casual carry of a mousegun. Also why even pushing up on 64, I still practice & train to a high kevel. Jmo.

uofaengr likes this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

You know, after a while I realized that it really wasn't a concern over whatever duty or off-duty weapon (caliber, capacity, ammunition, etc) that I might've had with me that gave me pause for occasional concern.

It was wondering whether or not I'd even have the awareness, opportunity and time necessary to access it, and then try to use it in time to protect myself, that sometimes nagged at me.

Still that way. I sometimes ponder regarding anything that might result in potential loss of the time, and any vagaries of circumstance, that may prevent me from effectively using it, no matter what 'it' may be.

Glolt20-91, K. Foster and fredj338 like this.
  10. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

Carry a G-26 for the smaller size and a spare G-17 mag for the extra rounds.
    tbc.

DocPoison and gp23 like this.
  11. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I was at a basketball game last night at a local high school. I noticed the school resource officer carrying a 43 instead of his normal 19. I have known him for years and he is a retired state law enforcement officer so I asked why the change. Looked at me and laughed "my back has been killing me this week so I moved the 43 from my ankle to my hip". I guess that made as much sense as anything.

DocPoison likes this.
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1

Tuco44 I guess by now you have picked what to carry . But come on . You need other to tell YOU what YOU should carry and then add a motorcycle and what do we think !

You have to know both glucks are liked and carried by many and going down on a motorbike will have its own share of concerns . Do you wear full face helmet leathers or at least a touring suit or run around in a beanie jeans and a t-shirt with vest !! A carry gun has little to add to the problem if you go down .. Figure out whats best for you and carry enough insurance HA . I road for 25 years and carried for 33 .

13. NJ1911

NJ1911

I enjoy comfort as well. I got a 43 right before we went on vacation to NC last year. I wore it around the house, to see how it carried, but never got to the range with it, so I brought my 33 on the trip. I wore shorts/t-shirts every day, and memories of the 43 made even the 33 just seem so bulky while carrying. I got home and added a +1 baseplate to one 43 mag and a +3 to the other and got to the range. With 17 rounds total I don't feel under gunned and the 43 is my main carry now. It practically disappears when compared to even a 26, 33 or 36 that I rotate once in a while.

DocPoison likes this.
  14. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

43 with a spare mag every day for concealed. If I am open carrying, 19 with a spare mag.

DocPoison and Tuco 44 like this.
  15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Perhaps you should try a 43x or 48? this might be the compromise you're looking for.

and if the shield arms mags prove to be reliable, you will have 15+1 in a slimmer package.

DocPoison likes this.
  16. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Glock 19 Gen 3 EDC.

DocPoison likes this.
  17. wayne

wayne Millennium Member

I have both and conceal carry the 43, 98% of the time. It's just more comfortable and conceals a little better.

Before the 43 came out, I carried the 19 exclusively and had no problems doing so.

DocPoison and GlockyQ like this.
  18. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Never handled a G43 but I would choose my G19 gen 3 any day.

Glolt20-91 and G19 fan like this.
  19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Carry whatever you want.

They are both great guns.

20. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I've been shooting for a very loooooooooooooong time, my carries (most of the time) have been S&W 7 shot .357mag and Colt 1911s in the 3 major calibers. I haven't shown interest in sub compacts because my preference is for full size grips.

Last year I handled and shot some sub-compacts and J-frames. I'm retired and live near wilderness areas, spend time outdoors and have my own pistol and rifle shooting ranges.

My biggest surprise has been the Sig 365XL, small, light and it's a pistol that can be shot a couple hundred rounds for practice/training. Perhaps the generation gap in CCW is getting a little narrower. :) At least once a year rattlesnakes or other vermin need to be dispatched, so ammunition selection is paramount. I don't have confidence in 38 Special, although I have a S&W 64/3" that shoots very well and is very accurate.

One major aspect that hasn't been discussed in this thread is bullet performance. With .357mag, old tech design is as deadly as with new designs...and perhaps even better. From compact barrels lengths in 9mm, not all modern design JHPs will expand at slower velocities. As an example, 147gr HSTs and 147gr Winchester bonded JHPs expand quite well, 150% plus of .355" caliber (~.600-625"): however, Winchester 124gr bonded JHPs only have petal tip expansion. basically a TMJ. The Winchester 124gr bonded JHP didn't expand well through a G17 either.

Water isn't 10% ordnance gelatin, but then clear ballistic gel isn't either. If a JHP doesn't expand in water, neither will it expand in soft tissue.

In a choice for compact and sub-compact sidearms, good performing ammunition is also a necessity choice. :)

:cowboy: