Would you buy a used ATV?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boo Berry, Aug 9, 2019.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

My neighbor bought two used yamaha's they looked really clean. They needed axles and water pumps and drive parts , all of them. The guys he bought them from ( 2 different places) had repainted the frames and axle and front ends and replaced the tires and foot pegs etc and ran with brand new stuff a couple months. So the machines were junk, but looked new.

Boo Berry likes this.
  2. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

If the prices were good, and even though they faked out and just LOOKED new-ish, thinking that the repairs are still less than a down payment or a few months finance charges - etc.

Just sayin'.............

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Just to be fair, neither should be a slight on Yamaha and certainly proves your neighbor is not to bright. :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  4. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Thinking of buying used

Bought new

Great thread

Boo Berry likes this.
  5. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

He always bottom fishes price and often gets horrible stuff. I think yamaha makes good stuff, but these 4 wheelers were both badly abused.

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry

It’s the progression of the research and buying process. :honkie:

7. bubbatime

bubbatime

If you are only going to use it 6 times a year, than your carburetor WILL be gunked up and needing cleaning/replaced. At the very minimum, try to find a fuel injected quad as they will run perfect with 2 year old gas and not get gunked up like a carburetor would.

Boo Berry likes this.
  8. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Polaris Sportsman.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam

Can’t remember the last time I saw a bad water pump on a wheeler.

Did your friend not check the odometer?

10. glock collector

glock collector

A guy around here fakes the actual mileage...state shut him down for fraud. I always ask the good dealer in town, when i am getting service work done to turn the speedo back....I get a firm...WE don't do that!!

11. BC42

BC42

FI can get gunked up too. If you're using it infrequently, add Sta-Bil to the gas. Gas can go bad after a month or two. Sta-Bil will make gas last for over a year and also not gunk up when in small motors.

pgg00 likes this.
  12. Mtbkn

Mtbkn

I had something similar happen... I got turned back for trying to wear a speedo at da public pool.

:outtahere:

glock collector and pgg00 like this.
  13. northslope66

northslope66

whether you get new or used , dont overlook CanAm quads or side by sides. imo they are flat out better than any of the jap models in fit and finish , reliability and power .

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam

Power, yes.

Reliability? I’ve had one, buying a 6x6 2 up, hunting partner 2. Between us every Honda made from the 250R on.
    We average about 600 miles a year per bike.

I would not rate their reliability as better than Honda on the ATV’s.

Major work wise, they’re good. But there are lots of annoying things on the Canned Yams. 12 grease zerks per bike and grease filled bushings that are prone to wear, brake pads wear faster than anything I’ve ever ridden, nagging heat issues with the exhaust even with the factory heat kits I still melted my plastics.

Had to ceramic coat my exhaust, and apply multiple layers of heat guard to keep from melting my side plastics on the 1000. Melted my battery and seat before they put the exhaust heat kit out initially.

Rinspeed likes this.
  15. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Sta-bil is OK - but if you read the name: "Sta-bil" it tells you that if you move the fuel that's been treated, then the stability factor is ruined.

Ya see - it generates a paraffin surface on top of the fuel and keeps it from vaporizing or absorbing water, etc.

Once you break that thin wax film, it's lost and you have no protection at all. It will not reform.

In MY shop, I dope a tank with Seafoam, and it's good for maybe 3 or 4 months only. That's the best you can do under the current fuel chemistry.

Don't store fuel in poly-cans though - I have not confirmed this, but too many people I respect say that a lot of the good volatility stuff and speed bugs exude out the pores of the polyethylene plastic.

One last point - only store high octane (that's an oxymoron!) fuel since it has no methanol in it - unless you're in California and there you're screwed so many other ways - it really doesn't matter.

Our Hi-Test fuel has no methanol ---> 'cause we have trees.

16. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

If you can't find ethanol free fuel at a nearby pump, go check out a marina. Gasoline sold for marine use should not have any ethanol, so it will last longer to begin with.

If you do get fuel going bad in the tank, try some Star-Tron. It's an enzyme that will recover fuel quality to the point that it's perfectly usable again. I've never let fuel go that bad, but I've used it in a few where it's starting to go bad and never had any issues with the machine afterwards. Only hard part is getting it into the carburetor if it's gummed up, but once star-tron treated fuel is in a gummed up carb it's supposed to actually clean it up. Customers I've recommended it to for fuel problems have never complained to me that it didn't work, but I've never actually heard from any of them after using it on their machine, so either they hate it so bad they won't speak to me, or it did it's job and they don't need me anymore.