Glock Talk banner

Would you buy a long-slide .357SIG?

12694 Views 38 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  rockyscj
Hello Everyone,

I have always wondered why Glock does not produce a Practical/Tactical model chambered in .357SIG like they do for the 9 and the 40 with the Glock 34 and 35. I have a long-slide in 9mm and I love mine. Mine is a 17L. If I did not have it I would buy a model 34. I was just wondering if the fans of the .357 (I do not yet own a Glock in .357, but I sure am beginning to be interested in this caliber) would buy one if Glock made it? Thanks for your replies and comments.
Reactions: Poohgyrr
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Making lunch
1,004 Posts
As far as the .357SIG being counted as a "minor" caliber, that just doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like the governing body of that organization needs to be challenged on that. That's just backwards thinking.
My understanding is the people in charge of that sport back when, were very upset with new S&W's pistols being used by the old Team Smith & Wesson.

S&W had developed an accurate (20 round mag) double stack single action in their new 356TSW round. And it caused trouble for a favorite single stack pistol.

At that time, a fast enough velocity could qualify a 9mm for major and the 356TSW round did (between 357Sig & 9X23).

So a new rule was created, saying 9mm could no longer qualify as major, no matter what.....

Unfortunately, S&W dropped the chambering (3rd Gen & J frame). Then Federal quit making the ammo. The auction sites sometimes have guns and ammo for sale.

· Registered
126 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have always wondered why Glock does not produce a Practical/Tactical model chambered in .357SIG like they do for the 9 and the 40 with the Glock 34 and 35. I have a long-slide in 9mm and I love mine. Mine is a 17L. If I did not have it I would buy a model 34. I was just wondering if the fans of the .357 (I do not yet own a Glock in .357, but I sure am beginning to be interested in this caliber) would buy one if Glock made it? Thanks for your replies and comments.
Been a long time since I posted anything. My G31 was the first Glock I ever owned, just because of the 357 Sig round. Built a long slide from LWD slide and parts and a KKM 6" barrel. Works fantastic. I don't shoot it as much as I used to because I'm having a lot of fun with my G40 and 41. I have toyed around with the thought of buying a G24 or G35 and just doing a barrel swap, or just calling up KKM and seeing if they'll make one for my G40. It's a fantastic round that just doesn't get enough love, even though IMO, it's one the most accurate, controllable, and powerful semi auto rounds ever designed. If Glock ever went ahead and had a factory "G35.7" I'd be one of the first on the waiting list!

· Semper Paratus
31,451 Posts
I made one a barsto barrel in a 35 best shoot in handgun I had at 100yards and beyond

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Mr. Wasabi, do the .357 Sig cartridges feed and function well with the 10mm magazines? Thank you in advance and I hope that you enjoy your longslide .357 SIG.
I finally got to test out the long slide 357 sig with my 10mm OAL length rounds.

Gun setup (the one in my post above):
-Glock 21 sf frame
-Lone wolf 21l solid top slide
-My own custom hybrid recoil spring (a full ismi 24lb plus 1/3 of a stock spring since I run 45 supers through the gun as well)
-Stock 10mm Mag (which was 100% reliable with all loads)
-6" LW g20 357 sig barrel (full case support btw)
-Throat lengthened .220 and .359 diameter to fit the heavy bullets (357 mag bullets)

Now this was my preliminary function test, chronograph results will follow hopefully this weekend.

My loads were blue dot specific loads and were in speer brass and cci sp primers were used: (slowly work up should you choose to use my data)

-125gr zero brand jhp (.358 dia) loaded to 1.240 OAL: started at 9.0gr and went to 12.0grains
-147gr xtp loaded to 1.270 OAL: starting 9.0gr up to 11.0gr
-158gr barry's plated hp (.357 dia) loaded to 1.260 OAL: started at 8.0gr up to 10.0gr
-180gr MBC coated wfn (.359 dia) loaded to 1.255 OAL: started at 8.0gr and went to 9.0gr

Notes:

None were believed to be max loads, cases ejected at a max of 18" from me and all looked great, the 12.0 gr load over the 125s will attract crowds as the artillery style flash and boom were exciting. Recoil was less than a mid range 10mm load and were a true joy to shoot.

The long OAL places the even the big 180 grain bullets as far into the case as a standard length loaded 147 grain bullet would be so I believe these are 100% viable bullets to use.

Side note:

I made my dummy rounds from sig brand brass for when I throated the barrel, it turns out that speer brass is thicker in the neck so since I don't have a fcd for the sig I had to bump the loaded round with the sizing die on the neck to get the 180s to chamber. Not a huge deal but worth noting. I'm looking forward to the chrono workups.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
The only new Glock in which I'm interested would be a Gen4 G24-type (long slide and 6-inch barrel) in .357SIG. I'm not much interested in the shorter tac/prac 5.3-inch barrel.

And...it must all be Glock OEM.

· Registered
75 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Old thread but... Several years ago I bought a Glock 35 and put a Storm Lake 357 Sig barrel in it. Works great and is accurate out a long ways.

· Making lunch
1,004 Posts
I'd like to buy one from Mr Glock, to alternate carry with my other Glock 357's.

I still believe Glock makes the best 357Auto.

Reactions: LarryNC

· Registered
9,533 Posts
My 9" Lone Wolf 357sig barrel works well, but I would be waiting in line the day before release day for a Gen 4 357sig long slide, and maybe even for a practical/tactical length.

View attachment 297544
Nice rig and it still looks balanced even with a 9 inch barrel. But a 6 inch barrel in my G31 is my limit, this 6 inch barrel plus Underwood ammo gives a 125gr Gold Dot a velocity of 1600+ fps and 700+ ft/lbs of energy. Practical tactical takes on real meaning when it is recognized that this 16 round capacity handgun/ammo combination offers a velocity that is 150 fps faster than a 357 magnum. Another reason why the 357 Sig is the most versatile handgun for SD.

· Registered
9,533 Posts
Been a long time since I posted anything. My G31 was the first Glock I ever owned, just because of the 357 Sig round. Built a long slide from LWD slide and parts and a KKM 6" barrel. Works fantastic. I don't shoot it as much as I used to because I'm having a lot of fun with my G40 and 41. I have toyed around with the thought of buying a G24 or G35 and just doing a barrel swap, or just calling up KKM and seeing if they'll make one for my G40. It's a fantastic round that just doesn't get enough love, even though IMO, it's one the most accurate, controllable, and powerful semi auto rounds ever designed. If Glock ever went ahead and had a factory "G35.7" I'd be one of the first on the waiting list!
I must agree, the words "the most" often appear in descriptions of the 357 Sig. The most powerful and most practical round I can think of.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I've wanted that as well. Walking around hiking A Smith .44 even the model 629 is just too big and bulky. I would buy in a minute a long slide 357 Magnum by glock. Put a bear load in there and you've got just as much inot stopping power than the 44 Magnum. I would add a lone wolf barrel whatever heavy spring Glock would recommend with a two and a half pound trigger pull. What say U everybody.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.