Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a clean rust free jeep,1997 hard top with 250k miles. Probably can get it for $4500 to $5k. AC works ok but the heat is great. Anyway, never had a vehicle with that many miles. Should i give it a chance or walk away. Not sure how many more miles it would be good for. Straight six engine - manual transmission.

thanks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My 16 year old Wrangler with about 75,000 miles could have kept going... if I wanted to drive it like Fred Flintstone. The bottom rusted out and if I had gone over a large pot hole I would have been sitting on the pavement :(

I don't know about the 250K miles, but I would check it out thoroughly for rusting issues... good luck on your decision.

Reactions: FullClip and TBO

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Sounds like a liability to me. You could always have your mechanic check it out, and give you the straight scoop. It might be worth a hundred bucks. Cars with that many miles, are at the end of their life, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A $100 bucks? You obviously haven't priced Jeeps.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not a chance. I personally have not had the greatest experiences with Chrysler and believe their products to be less durable that many others.

I guess I don’t know wrangler prices as my first thought was if I had a 97 with 250k I would be calling mother waddles just to get it off my property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Can you buy it cheap enough that you can justify dropping in a rebuilt motor?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The engines can last 250,000 but what else. The axles, transmission ? Whatever else? But frame rust? Body rust? Seems a bit high in price to me. If you like it? I agree with the other poster. Do a 100.00 used car inspection. Any one of the above that goes bad is 1,000.00 repair. The good thing about these is they are old school simple mechanical.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts