Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I mostly lurk on GlockTalk, but lately I have been getting into IDPA, and now I am thinking about GSSF.

I currently have a new G19 inbound, and before I do any modification to it I would like to consult you all and see what you think.

I'm not at all a fan of the factory Glock checkering. Usually what I do is melt/sand the checkering smooth and put 3M stair tread tape in its place. I do this because it is uncomfortable to carry the gun IWB with the entire grip covered in the tape, and if I just put a strip of tape over the checkering, then it usually slips off after a session or two. Melting the checkering down creates a slight depression that the tape sits in, and this keeps the tape from slipping around.

Here are some pics:

So, what do you think? Would this be permitted under GSSF guidelines?

thanks,
erik

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Interesting question...

The section on Allowable modifications (40.30) states that you can have: "Hogue Grip-type sleeves, 'A-Grip' panels, 'skateboard tape' or other grip-enhancing materials that do not materially alter the function of the stock firearm". It doesn't state anything about not being able to modify your frame for comfort - just that the gun itself can't have parts added that "result in a significant competitive advantage in the Stock divisions".

The section on Illegal modifications (40.40) only specifically mentions frames in regards to "Aftermarket metallic replacement frames", but also makes illegal "Any modification deemed by the Range Master to create an unfair competitive advantage".

Technically, there doesn't appear to be anything that REQUIRES that the frame be unmodified UNLESS it alters the "function of the stock firearm", but then you are open to the interpretation of "Any modification deemed by the Range Master to create an unfair competitive advantage" to determine what category you could shoot it in.

If I were a betting man, you would probably get pushed to the UNLIMITED division every time... :dunno: Of course, I am a newbie to this, so what do I know? Those are just my interpretations.

·
5,227 Posts
Your best bet would be to ask GSSF because you technically would be altering the grip. As a side note I don't understand why your skate board tape peels of after a couple sessions. I use it on all my Glocks and have not had a problem. My G17 and 37 for instance has had it on for over 2 years and I shoot 10 to 14 GSSF matches a year plus any practice or other shooting venues. I wipe down the surface good with rubbing alcohol to get any hand residue off , let it dry a few minutes and stick it on. Another side note is you may be destroying the resale value by sanding off the checkering. It may be covered with skate board tape now but not everyone likes using it. I know I would not even consider one that was sanded clean or had a grip reduction.

Just passing along my thoughts and perspective. After all its your Glock so it would be your decision, but you asked for our thoughts so there are mine.

Don

·
20,419 Posts
Your frame modification would probably cause you to compete in Unlimited/Masters Category. It is a frame modification.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
Interesting question...

It doesn't state anything about not being able to modify your frame for comfort
You summed it up right (being pushed to Unlimited), but I think you missed this about the rules:

Section 4.20 says (the paragraph right above 4.30)

If any component is not or has never been available from GLOCK, Inc. or if the firearm has been physically modified except as otherwise specifically noted below, it is not “stock” and is therefore restricted to use in the
Master-Unlimited division only

Doing what he does PHYSICALLY MODIFIES the firearm, and it doesn't fall under the "Allowable Modifcations" list. Ergo, it is NOT "stock".

The rules are pretty simple, and not hard to understand. They are here:
http://www.gssfonline.com/GLOCK_Report_Rules_2009.pdf

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
You summed it up right (being pushed to Unlimited), but I think you missed this about the rules:

Section 4.20 says (the paragraph right above 4.30)

If any component is not or has never been available from GLOCK, Inc. or if the firearm has been physically modified except as otherwise specifically noted below, it is not “stock” and is therefore restricted to use in the
Master-Unlimited division only

Doing what he does PHYSICALLY MODIFIES the firearm, and it doesn't fall under the "Allowable Modifcations" list. Ergo, it is NOT "stock".

The rules are pretty simple, and not hard to understand. They are here:
http://www.gssfonline.com/GLOCK_Report_Rules_2009.pdf
Well, dang!!! :faint: I was so concentrated on the approved modifications list that I missed that simple sentence. Do you know how much time that would have saved me (because I am a slow typer)? :embarassed:

Thanks for pointing that out, Ron59.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
i've seen a few shooters get the OK from the match director to shoot a stippled frame in the stock classes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
They Should not get a pass--It is a modification. I have a Burns re-grip on one 19, it is only avaliable in unlimited.
Scott would not let that pass--I would loan him a extra frame to let him compete at my match if I knew him or could shoot with him.

Mike

·
Registered
868 Posts
In addition to the above, if you melt/stipple/modify your frame, you can forget about Stock Service Pistol in IDPA...

Best, Jon

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I had my G26 "strippled" and I use it as one of my carry pieces. I won't use it in GSSF and would get another G26 if I wanted to compete with it in GSSF. With the night sights and the strippling, I wouldn't even try to use it in GSSF as I use it for other reasons. Yes, it's modified and I knew that from the start.

·
Crusty Member
10,824 Posts
Wrap that with an Agrip, and it becomes a non-issue. i.e. the Agrip probably more or less nullifies what you've done, and nobody will notice it. It's a much cheaper solution than buying a new gun/frame just to be GSSF AmCiv legal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts