Would this be a good first bike??

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by hotrodtba, Jul 6, 2005.

1. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Local ad paper has a 1998 Suzuki GS 500E, 3,000 miles, all stock, orange and black, great shape, for $2500 OBO. I have read good things about these bikes. I have dirtbike and ATV experience, but this would be my first street bike. Is the price good? I have been thinking about getting rid of my 2000 Honda 400EX ATV, so I might see if he would be interested in a trade.

I am 6'2", 225 lbs, so anything smaller would be a little cramped. I sat on a Honda Rebel 400, and I was pretty cramped. My knees were in the handle bars when I turned them. Thanks for your insights.

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I'd say it's ideal.

3. Rosey

Rosey

I'd go for it.

I'm a strong believer in a first street bike being small, light, good handling, and not terribly powerful. Inexpesive is good too.

That way a rider is forced to learn HOW TO RIDE WELL instead of relying on the performance abilities of the bike. With a GS500 it will be FAR easier to get everything out of the bike that it has to offer (handling, braking, acceleration, etc.).

It is immensily satisfying to be able to get ~98% or ~99% out of a bike. Squeezing every last bit out of a bike makes you feel like a HERO. Really.

In my experience, those that start out with smaller, underpowered bikes become BETTER riders MORE QUICKLY than those that start out on newer, bigger, faster bikes.

The above mostly comes form a performance riding perspective. But all the skills that allow a rider to go fast are largely the same skills that allow a rider to be safe. It's just a matter of applying the skills a little differently.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't know about the price, but the bike is a good beginner bike. Anything that's not too awkward to get into riding position on and not too crazily powerful is a good starter bike.

5. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

The ad does say "OBO" (Or Best Offer), so maybe I can pick it up around $2000 or so.