Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now throughout this country we either have no capital punishment or capital punishment that takes decades before it is carried out. Clearly the current system is not a deterrent to violent crime. It would likely take a Constitutional amendment since the SCOTUS has ruled that execution can only be imposed for murder and even then allows endless appeals for the criminal. An amendment that allowed States to determine what crimes would be punished by death, that allowed States to limit appeals to a single appeal which would have to be filed with 30 days of conviction, AND would specifically allow States to choose public executions would solve the problem. The Amendment would exclude execution as a sentence from the prohibitions on "cruel and inhumane punishment". Those states that did not want to expand capital punishment would be allowed to continue current systems, but those states that wanted to rid our society of the worst of the miscreants and provide a deterrent to future criminals could also set their laws to do just that. Personally I think public hangings would be effective, and not the "modern" hangings where the floor opens and the neck is snapped, but hanging and dangling until the criminal was dead should be sufficiently gruesome to scare others into not taking the risk. Some may think that this would not work, but I tend to think its well worth a try. Comments?

·
NRA Life Member
5,794 Posts
As long as the courts are sure they have the right man I’m good with it.

On the other hand, incorrectly executing an innocent man even if it happens 1 time out of 10,000, that’s unacceptable.

There is a reason our justice wheels turn slowly, we aren’t China or North Korea.

·
Use it up, throw it away
9,149 Posts
I’ve never viewed the death penalty as a deterrent. If someone is going to commit such an extreme act, I can’t think of anything that that will deter it.

I believe the death penalty is like some certain forms of cancer treatment. Take a knife and remove it from the body. Remove the offenders from society. Don’t worry about wood chippers or deterring behavior. When they’re found guilty, make them disappear.

·
Registered
9,820 Posts

On the other hand, incorrectly executing an innocent man even if it happens 1 time out of 10,000, that’s unacceptable.

There is a reason our justice wheels turn slowly, we aren’t China or North Korea.
and that’s the problem today in our corrupt society…there recently was an issue where a convict had long since been executed. They ran his case through modern forensic abilities and it wasn’t him…oopsies…except when you kill someone that’s a bit more than an “oops”.

I’m general I’m not the biggest fan off the death penalty as we know it. I’d like to really start with applying it to treason. Cuz guess what folks: it doesn’t matter if we have violent predators running around on our streets when the powers that be are systematically destroying our country as it is.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,627 Posts
I have to say the thought of it stopped me from making a horrible mistake several years ago. So for those that say Capitol Punishment doesn't deter anything I will say I know of at least one a$$hole still walking because of it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Probably not to a meaningful degree.

I have no problem with properly administered capital punishment.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

Our system is based on the idea that "it is better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man suffer" (or 100 guilty men depending which version you go with). Not 1,000 guilty men, not 10,000 guilty men, not all the guilty men. At some point you have to be realistic and accept that mistakes will happen. Likely far fewer mistakes these days than when the system was established. Is sending an innocent person to prison for most of their life then releasing them after most of their life has passed them by really that much better than executing them?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts