Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
so many posts... good deal... but if u are serious in your ? there are a number of good posts.... they can really put a hurting on your dog, i've seen it done... and they have the capability of carrying disease. a pellet gun has killed many in my backyard, and i live in the city too, just make sure u bring your surefire, cause you cant see the sights! but a head shot, will kill them, and yes a bat will do the same thing...

· Registered
4,538 Posts
slingshot! But you wanna practise first

· Registered
1,022 Posts
A long time ago I hit a squirrel with a sling shot using lead fishing weights. I can still hear the sound of that projectile hitting that squirrel in the side of the head. He didn't even do a reaction quiver.

· General Glocker
422 Posts
A long time ago I hit a squirrel with a sling shot using lead fishing weights. I can still hear the sound of that projectile hitting that squirrel in the side of the head. He didn't even do a reaction quiver.
~1

If your pellet gun dont work, flip it around, grab the barrel, and give it a couple good ones

Last Resort . . .

· Registered
171 Posts
Long barrelled bolt action 22 w/ Aguila SubSonic Sniper rounds. 60 grains subsonic w/ almost no noise. (It's only illegal if you get caught. ;) ) Don't try the Colibri/Super Colibri. My experience w/ a Racoon was that they bounce off at point blank range.

G

·
to answer the original question
With a large possum and a rear shot, your chances of first shot success are limited.
Personally, and I have done this before, just walk up and stick it with a long knife. Possums arent known for being real quick. Just walk up, and insert it alongside his back bone, then twist the knife real fast, snapping the vertebrae. Its not hard to do at all.

G

·
You know, after going back and reading some of these replies, it makes me think of the time I shot an Armadillo with a 300 grain Hornady XTP .44 mag bullet at about 10 yards. There wasnt much left, thats for sure...

· Registered
3,588 Posts
A 2 liter soda bottle taped onto a 22 rifle gives you one fairly quiet shot which would work well for a possum.

I shot one with a co2 pellet rifle that had a 10 round, semi-auto magazine. Just blasted it a bunch and it died nice and fast. Also, if you want more penatration there are pointed pellets you can buy that will take care of that. The stupid things used to get into my trash cans and knock em over and go thru the trash.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
We had a possum digging up holes in our back yard so my dad had me shoot it from my bedroom window...after I gave him about 5 bbs in the face (was aiming for his eye and that didnt stop him) I grabbed the .22 and put him down. I had a animal graveyard when I was a kid. The Albino squirrel is the only one I cryed after.

· Registered
1 Posts
{ Since it caused me to loose sleep, I wanted to kill it, but can't discharge a 22 in city limits. Would a powerful pellet gun have done it? I was only a few feet away. Eventually it hid in a bush clump, withs just its rear and tail showing. Would a rear shot be fatal with a pellet gun?}

why would you kill a possum for being a possum? ;Q

That animals has just about much right for being their as your dog did.
Yes I would it’s been killing my kittens so I’m going to trap it and turn its head into fine mist the reason why is because it has been killing the kittens not out of hunger and it’s becoming a pest

· Registered
8,124 Posts
Old thread. But it depends what kind of air gun, some you can hunt deer with.

I have an Airforce Texan that propels a .457 projectile ( bullet or just a lead ball) at extremely fast velocity. It’s also extremely loud. They are often used to hunt wild pigs and deer, too.

Reactions: fg17

· Registered
6,563 Posts
Please don't kill opossum.

They eat mice nests and are harmless. If you're local to mid Ohio, I'd take him in. I've got room under my barn.
Agreed,i'd much rather have a possum which eats ticks, then these darn chipmunks i've got running all over our property this year. My pellet gun is getting quite a workout this summer.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
Wow the un informed and just plain stupid responses and in a gun forum. Literally unbelievable. Anyway yes from 5 feet away a decent pellet rifle will easily penetrate the skull of a possum. You did specify powerful. Heck at that range any multi pump in 177 would do that job. There are air rifles built that take down large game. A possum at 5 feet no problem. I would suggest that over the assanine suggestion of shooting the neighbors dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 81 Posts