close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would I have been out of line at the gunshop?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Price, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Price

Price

So here is the story, my good friend and current roomate finally decided to pull the trigger on what is one of his dream guns yesterday. So we went to the gunshop in the area that both of us prefer to use partly becuase of price, the guys are friendly and not the type to treat people like they are idiots like other shops in the area. So we go in and they know what he is comin in for he has been in a few times recently to fondle the Springfield M1a Socom 16 he is getting. He makes the purchase and whiel doing the paper work they ask if he needs extra mags or ammo. Immediately Im thinkin oh no dont do it. Every gun in the shop is cheaper by 30 to 40 at least compared to other local shops but the mags were 60 and 140 rds of 308 was 100. I knew this was very high but did not want to offend or upset the owner that was helping us out. I didnt say anything until after we left the store. My buddy got home and checked online when we got home to realize how high the prices were, he wasnt upset at me but learned his lesson. But would I have been out of line to say "hey you can get a better price on that stuff somewhere else"?
    Btw he paid 1580 for the rifle I think thats a pretty good price, am I about right on that?

2. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Best to take them aside and tell them if possible, so noone's feelings get hurt.

3. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I would have pulled him aside and told him not to buy the mags at that store. Are you HIS friend or the store clerks friend?

4. mixflip

mixflip

In the military I would have called you a "buddy ***ker" after I found out you didnt have my back.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. RichJ

RichJ

Tough call. I would have whispered to him when the guy turned around to get the stuff. I'd be pissed at my friend if he let me get taken.

6. krush777

krush777

+1 I would have taken him aside and told him also. The gunshop is in business to make money and it is the consumers right to get the best price. So I would have simply told him privately to wait and order the stuff at the better price. The shop had their chance and made a profit on the rifle.

7. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

You should be offended at the possibility of being overcharged.

8. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Either this or you could have said something like:

Could you doubble check that price because we seen them for $_______ at such and such place. Just seems a little steep. :dunno:

9. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

1580 sounds like a pretty good deal. I've been wanting a SOCOM 16 for awhile now.

10. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

I assume its the fiberglass stock one right? If so he didnt get drilled on the price of the gun.

11. Price

Price

To clarify I tried to mention it to him quietly, he didnt hear me and then loudly replied" whatd you say" for all to hear. Its a small shop we would have literally had to stop talking to the owner that was helpin us out and wlk to the other side of the shop and still whisper to be out of earshot. So I guess maybe I should have just come out and said it and took the chance on offending the owner. Didnt get called a blue falcon by my buddy he understood why i didnt say anything. I was just not sure if basically saying "your prices on ammo and mags are ridiculous" to the owner would offend him or if he would just think well yea, but plenty of people will pay it.

12. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Don't whisper in his ear like some school girl. Just tell him in front of the employee you have plenty of that already and he can use yours for now.

Once outside let him know.

Word to your buddy. Don't take Price whern shopping for your new truck. :tongueout:

13. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Why are you so worried about what the owner thinks? Do you want him to treat you as a well-informed consumer or do you want him to treat you like an ATM machine? Man up! :wavey:

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Theres other ways you could have said it without making yourself look like an *** if thats what your concerned about.

15. Price

Price

Well house and ol timer, now I wish I would have thought of that at the time, both great ideas. Guess I wasnt so sharp that day.

It is the fiberglass stock, but he just today ordered a new stock but not sure where from I just know its more of an ar style platform with recoil spring and extended cheekrest, he also ordered an extended rail set up and a very nice ACOG. He then ordered 1000 rds for a great price online. So I guess I dont feel so bad apparantly he was in the mood to spend a fortune these past couple days.
    Thanks for the replies fellas.

16. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

For someone who has DR. HOUSE as his username, you're remarkably compassionate about other people's feelings. :tongueout:

Anyway, I'd have waited until the clerk wasn't looking and tapped my buddy on the hand or shoulder, and when my buddy looked over I'd have shaken my head no. With my best shooting bud at least, he'd have understood, and known that if I was wrong the mags and ammo would still be sitting there later for the same price.

17. RustySocket

RustySocket

How about.... "Hey Bud.... wait on the clips(he he) Iv'e got a bunch of spares you can have"

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Are you loyal to your friend or the business?

19. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

I would have flat out told my friend and I wouldn't have cared who heard, who may have been offended or any other silliness...

20. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

wouldnt want to step on any toes now would we.