close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would Firefighters be interested in these

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by jerman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jerman

jerman

Would Firefighters be interested in these. They are rugged earpieces for First Responder radios. I'm thinking of setting up a shop to sell these, and think it makes sense. I assume its pretty loud in a burning building, and you cant hear the radio coms to well. Especially something like " everyone pull back".
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    J
    [​IMG]

2. breech

breech

How will they react to high heat?

3. Tvov

Tvov

I'd have to try one on, see how they fit under air masks. You probably should find some firehouses that are willing to "test run" them to get better, "real world", feedback.

Also, with my gear, they seem like something that would get lost.

4. jerman

jerman

yeah they definately are small, but who wants something big and cumbersome. As for heat rating. I threw one in the oven at 400 degress for 10 min and it still worked.

Only downside thing I can think of is if the earpiece falls out (they stay in pretty good) you will lose radio coms until you put it back in your ear, or if in a panic just rip the wire off the radio so the sound comes out of the shoulder mic again.

Yeah looks like I'll have to invest in a few and drop them off at local FD, and wait for a working fire and some feedback.
    Thanks

5. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

Don't limit yourself to Fire/EMS.

Many Law enforcement agencies use ear pieces
    plugged into their shoulder microphones.

6. jerman

jerman

That what these were designed for, by the manufacturer that is. I'm looking for a new area/market for the radio accessories.

7. breech

breech

I just talked to some fireguys (I'm in EMS) and they are stating that they are in fires most of the time that exceed 600-700+ degree heat. That's pretty hot. You might have to send some test units out.

8. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

9. Joey

Joey Millennium Member

What kind of radios do they fit.

We use several styles of Motorola and Bendix King radios.

One guy on my VFD had a earpiece made for firefighters and marketed to firefighters and he wore it into a structure fire & it melted.

Yes it was under his gear, but it was not able to stand up to the heat & melted to the point it was unservicable.

10. jerman

jerman

It will fit all radios as long as they have a shoulder mic attachement.

11. SC25ENGINEER

SC25ENGINEER

If you will send me one I would like to demo it. We are currently undergoing some Survival training and I would try it out on that to see how well it would stay put. No high heat enviornment. If your interested let me know.

12. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I see two drawbacks to that unit. One is that your radio is outside your PPE and the wire would have to somehow be routed to get under the hood at least. Causing a gap in the PPE. The second is that the switch for talking looks so small it would be hard to find with gloves on. From the looks of it that switch would end up mixed in with your helmet chin strap and the straps from the scba mask, or bunched up in the hood. Just my thoughts looking at the picture. I'd have to try one.

13. jerman

jerman

namo2G, this is just the earpiece, It's close to actual size in the photo. You would still use your shoulder mic to talk/transmit. Do FF keep thier radios outside of thier gear. I would have thought the radio would be under the turnout gear to protect it from heat.

I'll see about getting samples, and I'll have to try a heat test at 500+ degrees, never thought with that much heat any one would be entering a fire.
    Thanks for the feedback guys

14. Joey

Joey Millennium Member

My radio sits in the radio pocket of my bunker gear (Morning Pride) It's on the outside of the bunker gear except in a thin pocket without the thermal protection.

I've melted pens and medical gloves in that radio pocket on structure fires.

15. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Concern #1 is still valid. Yes we carry the radio on the outside. If a fire incident is large enough there might be several tac channels in use and you have to be able to switch from one to another if needed. Or switch to the emergency channel if the SHTF. Plus not everyone uses the shoulder mic's. About half the radios in my department don't have them anymore.

16. Tvov

Tvov

I would think these ear pieces would be more for just listening to the radio. Helps keep people up to date on what is going on.

One thing about radio communications, the last thing you want is everyone talking. Even with tranceivers limited to officers and vehicles, people really need to have "radio discipline". Every so often, we have our "white hats" remind everyone to keep radio communication under control. Of course, it can be humorous when the white hats themselves have to be reminded of this....

17. SC25ENGINEER

SC25ENGINEER

Guys, Has anyone here done any Survival training? You really see the importance of the radio w/ the speaker mic. It needs to be worn w/ the radio in your radio pocket on your coat and the speaker mic chord wrapped behind your neck and clipped to the tab on the opposite shoulder where it can't be pulled off. This gives you 2 places to communicate should the worst happen and you are trapped on 1 side of your body. Plus you can hear better w/ the mic closer to your ear and not buried in your pocket. Plus it keeps your hands free from taking the radio out of your pocket to radio info to the IC. I would like to see the setup that was offered in this thread and see how it would perform. Be safe.

Prepare for the worst, then prepare some more.

18. Bravo6

Bravo6 Paramedic

I've never run into a burning building (yet) but this is almost exactly what I wear at work, which on friday and saturday nights, special events and the like is very loud. The earpiece shown sits inside your ear, but it dosent form a "seal" around your ear canal, so you can hear everything around you, plus your radio. I also have another attachment for it with an acoustic tube and a silicone plug that does form a seal, so that all you can really hear out of that ear is your radio. Its useful for when I work concerts. I was onstage once with Hootie and the Blowfish rocking at full volume and I could still hear the other members of my team. Transmitting was another story entirely though. :) Bottom line, I really like these!

19. Austin_glock

Austin_glock

It seems like a neat product...but maybe better suited for tactical use or EMS. Personally as a firefighter...I wouldn't want a hot melting piece of plastic in my ear. I've been burned twice on my ears before and that was with full PPE...something like that I think would act as a heat sink..slowly absorbing the heat but keeping it in next your skin..ouch!^5

20. TxFire

TxFire

Ditto to Austin-Glock.

Also I really do not want to hear all the Yahoos screaming on the radio right in my ear. I generally tune out the radio when inside the building on fire. That is good and bad, but generally too much useless chatter going on in my opinion.