Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fayetteville police officers on May 3 were dispatched at 11:11 p.m. to a home on Habersham Drive, where several residents reported that an adult male was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood, said Fayetteville Police Department spokesperson Ann Marie Burdett. “At one point, the subject reportedly attempted to gain entry to a home on Habersham Drive, and he was shot by a resident of that home,” Burdett said. Burdett said when police arrived on the scene, the subject was found deceased on the back porch of the home. There was no further incident on the scene, she said. Burdett said no charges are anticipated in the case, which is still under investigation.
https://thecitizen.com/2020/05/06/police-investigating-shooting-death-at-fayetteville-residence/

·
Registered
672 Posts
Fayetteville police officers on May 3 were dispatched at 11:11 p.m. to a home on Habersham Drive, where several residents reported that an adult male was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood, said Fayetteville Police Department spokesperson Ann Marie Burdett. “At one point, the subject reportedly attempted to gain entry to a home on Habersham Drive, and he was shot by a resident of that home,” Burdett said. Burdett said when police arrived on the scene, the subject was found deceased on the back porch of the home. There was no further incident on the scene, she said. Burdett said no charges are anticipated in the case, which is still under investigation.
https://thecitizen.com/2020/05/06/police-investigating-shooting-death-at-fayetteville-residence/
well, each state is different in this law. my state, you had better NOT shoot someone ON your property, as that is not self defense. they MUST be INSIDE the home for you to level them. and no, you cannot shoot them outside, and drag them inside.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Body found on porch doesn't mean that is where the person was shot. There are several reports of a person trying to gain entree before the shooting. The dead person may have enter or about to gain entry when shot. Realizing his mistake was in the process of leaving but only made it to the porch.

Also many other factors not covered. Makes a big difference if shooter is current NFL lineman or little old lady.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Plenty of people outside other peoples homes every day, walking down the sidewalk, delivering mail, knocking at the wrong address...doesn't place the homeowners life is in immediate danger.

Even I've opened the outer screen doors to knock, if there's no doorbell. Doesn't mean I'm trying to break in. If I was in the home and this occurred, I would have yelled for him to leave and been on the phone with the cops, BUT with my gun ready, only IF he had actually entered the home. I don't see this as a good shoot...at what point was the homeowners life in jeopardy, if the 'bad guy' was still outside of the house?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Not enough info. As noted, he might have gained entry before being shot. You routinely see stories of home invaders getting shot inside and running out, making it 100 yards before they collapse and die.

Not sure what the law is but if he's "yelling aggressively" and trying to get into houses, I think him getting shot on someone's porch is much preferred to him gaining entry into a house where the occupants are not equipped to defend themselves.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,643 Posts
What makes you think he wasn't on the porch enjoying a smoke.
It doesn't matter what you think. It only matters what you say to responding Officers. A stranger on my back porch, smoking a cigarette, after 2300. At the very least, he'd be looking down the barrel of a shotgun until LEOs arrived.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Plenty of people outside other peoples homes every day, walking down the sidewalk, delivering mail, knocking at the wrong address...doesn't place the homeowners life is in immediate danger.

Even I've opened the outer screen doors to knock, if there's no doorbell. Doesn't mean I'm trying to break in. If I was in the home and this occurred, I would have yelled for him to leave and been on the phone with the cops, BUT with my gun ready, only IF he had actually entered the home. I don't see this as a good shoot...at what point was the homeowners life in jeopardy, if the 'bad guy' was still outside of the house?
It depends upon the details of the case and the testimony of the person who pulled the trigger. Without those it's hardly worth speculating over.

At any rate I'd avoid such a broad statement as if to imply someone directly outside your house trying to break in isn't a legitimate threat. If your wife is sitting next to you on the couch when you start hearing fierce pounding on the door, and not the sound of someone knocking to speak with you but a heavy pounding that sounds like the intention is to smash the door down, maybe you look through a window and see a possible weapon in the person's hand, are you gonna give the person the opportunity to actually get in and lunge at you? How far in the house should they be allowed? How many blows are you gonna let them have?

How about if they have a gun? Is their entry into the house still the threshold that you're waiting for? What if they give up on the door and shoot through a window?

well, each state is different in this law. my state, you had better NOT shoot someone ON your property, as that is not self defense. they MUST be INSIDE the home for you to level them. and no, you cannot shoot them outside, and drag them inside.
Is that written in the statute somewhere? Better hope they don't catch you walking back to the house after taking out the trash since you'd both be outside the house.

·
JAFO
4,644 Posts
So your state does not allow someone in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm to defend themselves?

·
19,040 Posts
What makes you think he wasn't on the porch enjoying a smoke. 1111 isn't that late.
"Fayetteville police officers on May 3 were dispatched at 11:11 p.m. to a home on Habersham Drive, where several residents reported that an adult male was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood...."

He wasn't enjoying a smoke. He was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood.

He was probably mentally disturbed. There was a time in this country when we used to institutionalize people like that for their own protection and for the protection of everyone else.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
He was probably mentally disturbed. There was a time in this country when we used to institutionalize people like that for their own protection and for the protection of everyone else.
So much more "humane" to let them "enjoy" being free among society and not "locked up" in some institution. Just manage it with some pills they'll either forget or refuse to take. Then this happens and everybody is shocked. In my area someone that is very clearly out of their ever loving mind will be let loose unless they clearly and unequivocally show or state that they're going to harm self or others. Its how I met the guy that ran out in front of my patrol car as I drove past the hospital. He was yelling for me to run him over and tried to jump off a railing to concrete about 12 feet below when I wouldnt. Released 15 minutes prior from the mental hall of the hospital.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wasn't there, so I don't have an opinion.

BUT, if........., then....................

Y'all fill in the blanks to your satisfaction.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,946 Posts
"Fayetteville police officers on May 3 were dispatched at 11:11 p.m. to a home on Habersham Drive, where several residents reported that an adult male was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood...."

He wasn't enjoying a smoke. He was yelling aggressively and banging on houses in the neighborhood.

Amen!...one of my personal "issues"...in the day, these folks were not free to roam about at will...this is a huge problem, especially in our larger cities....just another reason to EDC without fail

·
I feel pretty.
3,954 Posts
It doesn't matter what you think. It only matters what you say to responding Officers. A stranger on my back porch, smoking a cigarette, after 2300. At the very least, he'd be looking down the barrel of a shotgun until LEOs arrived.
I was talking about the homeowner, not the perp.

What makes you so sure he was in the home, not in his backyard when the deranged perp shows up. The report doesn't mention where he shot from.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts