Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s face it, part 1. Ruger owns the market.

Let’s face it, part 2. There is an obvious void in the marketplace.

It all started years ago, when Ithaca bailed. Then, slowly, Winchester faded away. Browning went packing to Japan years ago.

That left Mossberg and Remington. Bye bye, Remington. Hello Mossberg. Hello, $1000 dollar Mossberg shotguns.

I’m a little surprised Ruger hasn’t dropped in for a visit.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,911 Posts
I think, more than anything, they simply don't want to spread themselves too thin; they already have to work hard to keep up with demand on the products they offer, and don't want to deal with all the varibles involved with expanding into a completely different product line.....
Ruger Red Labels were at the top of the food chain for the working man for years. Already been there done that. They just acquired Marlin, so not that.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Ruger Red Labels were at the top of the food chain for the working man for years. Already been there done that. They just acquired Marlin, so not that.
Yep, they just expanded their market, just not into shotguns. The Ruglins are supposed to hit the market at the end of the year and I'm curious to see what Ruger does with them.

Reactions: Dynactus and MarkCO

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Ruger owns the market is subjective. I do not own a single firearm from Ruger (including 10/22). However, I do own several Glocks and Mossbergs.

IMO, Ruger does not have a blueprint for a good shotgun platform because if they did, we would have seen it on the market.

Ruger excels with blowback firearms.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Manufacturing capacity would be my guess followed by no design to make. next guess would be share of market they'd have and profit margin.

Reactions: AK_Stick

·
NRA Life Member
66,447 Posts
Owns what market? I don't recall Ruger ever owning the market for anything other than single-action revolvers and budget .22 pistols.

It all started years ago, when Ithaca bailed. Then, slowly, Winchester faded away. Browning went packing to Japan years ago.

That left Mossberg and Remington. Bye bye, Remington. Hello Mossberg. Hello, $1000 dollar Mossberg shotguns.

Anyone?
Remington is in business and doing fine, as is Mossberg. During the shortage, cheap import pump and semi-auto shotguns have flooded the market. There isn't a void, or even an opportunity. Winchester is still in the semi-auto market and Browning is still in both. Then there's Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, etc.

Jumping into a flooded market with a type of gun they have never built would be a huge business mistake. You don't spend money unless there is an opportunity and, contrary to your post, there isn't one.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Could be that old Bill was a traditionalist and concentrated more on classic elegant designs. A pump shotgun ain’t it, and his legacy lives on.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Anyone?
Owns which market, specifically? Surely not the semiautomatic pistol market. I’ve owned three SR9s and an SR40; not one was capable of performing without failing. After my first SR9 was replaced by Ruger and STILL failed, I quit and unloaded all of them. Haven’t bought a Ruger product since, and never will.

Reactions: Cambo

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Once upon a time, Ruger offered top quality products for substantially less than the competition. It was nice while it lasted.

·
AAAMAD
32,202 Posts

Anyone?
Ruger makes budget wheel guns. They’re a long way from owning any market except entry level stuff.

The shotgun market is full of low price guns that have been around for years. Like the 870 and 500, how is Ruger going to break into that market?

Why would they spend the capital to design a mew shotgun, and construct a line to produce them, when that market is so filled with competition?

·
Semper Paratus
28,480 Posts
Red label is an amazing hunting arm why would you want to mix in a lowly pump action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Semper Paratus
28,480 Posts
Ruger owns the market is subjective. I do not own a single firearm from Ruger (including 10/22). However, I do own several Glocks and Mossbergs.

IMO, Ruger does not have a blueprint for a good shotgun platform because if they did, we would have seen it on the market.

Ruger excels with blowback firearms.
Lol never heard of a Red Label

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Lol never heard of a Red Label

I believe Ruger stop making that shotgun at the end of 2014 or early 2015. Plus, that long barrel design was not designed for home defense and was more suited for trap shooting or duck hunting.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Owns what market? I don't recall Ruger ever owning the market for anything other than single-action revolvers and budget .22 pistols.

Remington is in business and doing fine, as is Mossberg. During the shortage, cheap import pump and semi-auto shotguns have flooded the market. There isn't a void, or even an opportunity. Winchester is still in the semi-auto market and Browning is still in both. Then there's Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, etc.

Jumping into a flooded market with a type of gun they have never built would be a huge business mistake. You don't spend money unless there is an opportunity and, contrary to your post, there isn't one.
Yeah, Ruger owns the market.

What many seem to miss is that they manufacture handguns, and rifles in an exceptionally competitive market, as well as doing investment casting for the golf industry and the medical industry.

They are the only gunmaker that has managed to be continuously transformative. Compared to, say, Glock, that only makes Glock pistols. Henry makes rifles. And Mossberg, arguably, makes shotguns.

Ruger is the only one that has managed to compete on every level, and I would expect them to innovate again in the very near future.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts