Would a targeted trucker strike

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by ARP, Jan 25, 2020.

1. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

They probably hope to replace all of the truckers with electric, self-driving trucks in the near future anyway.

larry_minn likes this.
  2. ARP

ARP

Isn't that kinda what we have now?

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Not to mention the damage to my 401(k). Regardless of what California does, and I live there, the DOW is up over 10,000 points (42+%) since the inauguration. Do not mess with my money!

And who cares what a bunch of truck drivers think anyway. They can be replaced with just a wee bit of effort and a little flexibility in licensing. It might not be pretty but it would work!

You would have thought firing all the air traffic controllers (Reagan) would have brought the country to a halt. Didn't happen! Seems the military had some of those folks too! It took a few days to settle down but the planes kept flying.

There are probably thousands of retired military truck drivers. They may not be driving now (they're retired) but they can still drive.

Speleothem likes this.
  4. Tvov

Tvov

What are you thinking would be accomplished?

If you are talking about abiding by Federal law, all that has to be done is withhold Federal money to the state or cities.

No need to restrict food supply to people.

5. nerr

nerr

CA may be doing this to themselves. At least since September, 2019, they are going after companies that use independent contractors versus employees. Idea is to ensure companies pay employees' wages and benefits (and by extension more CA government taxes). The truly independent (as CA chooses to define it) are exempt.

Companies like FedEx use a lot of independent drivers and I believe Amazon and Uber. So these companies will have to either make them employees or stop operating in CA or get robot-driven vehicles approved.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_IndependentContractor.htm

6. NMG26

NMG26

What are we trying to make California do?

Tvov likes this.
  7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Sounds like a union power grab to fund the democrats.

:drowning:

8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have heard many OTR independents say they avoid any loads to CA. It’s just not worth it.

9. Tvov

Tvov

Why is it "not worth it"? Not getting paid? Crime?

I am really just not understanding this thread. Did something recently happen in California that I missed?

10. ARP

ARP

There is a lot of so called un American events that continually take place in CA that puts the entire populace at risk, yet the .GOV there encourages it to continue. Something needs to be done that is going to get the .GOV and the populace attention post haste. The onerous regulations alone is more than enough reason why an independent trucker should refuse to go to CA. Fuel prices alone almost make it a revenue negative run to go into CA.

The fact that you ask if something recently happened in CA tells most of us you have a case of HUA.

11. Tvov

Tvov

LOL! Yep, and it is warm and moist up there....

Really? you make an obscure post about "bad California" and you wonder why people ask what is going on?

California has been an liberal enclave for DECADES. Did you just figure that out?

That is why I asked if anything new has happened. All you had to say was "just an idea to try to fix the problems of the last bunch of decades", and I would have said "OK".

Sorry to bother you in your thread.

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Independent Owner/Operators have every right to skip loads heading to California - the 5th largest economy in the WORLD! Go for it! Of course, they may not get calls offering other routes but that's the chance they take.

Company drivers probably have to go where they are told or find another way to make a living. Being barred from one company may have serious effects on employment at another company but it's the principle of the thing. California, the 5th largest economy in the world, needs to be taught a lesson by truck drivers.

Good luck with that!

13. BBMW

BBMW

Would the change you get be the change you want. The type organization most likely to organize something like this would be a union. They're political agenda likely doesn't match yours.

Also maintaining this would really difficult. A lot of truckers would see the opportunity to make a lot of money breaking the strike, and would do so in the blink of an eye.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There are pacific restrictions in CA. We have a member here proud he got personally owned cars, trucks impounded because they were not up to CA standards.
    While my OTR info is dated. I knew a number of O/O that ran less then 10 trucks who avoided CA. IF they got a load going in they operated under a larger firms authority.
    A semi truck may seem to cross state borders as easily as your car does. But it’s not the same thing.
    I never had to figure out all that. Just provide info, wife of owner crunched numbers, sent checks, paperwork. They had zero issue NYC, New Jersey. ButCA was not encouraged.

Tvov likes this.