Would a targeted trucker strike

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by ARP, Jan 25, 2020.

1. ARP

ARP

In California bring those targeted places to their knees and effect some useful change?

Not sure if anyone is aware but just starting with the gasoline supply at stations, they hold a 3 day supply, prettymuch the same story for grocery stores for staple items.

Suddenly, the trucks stopped doing delivery of these items, on purpose, embargo on until the laws and policies change. Shut down say, SF, LA, and a few other liberal enclaves.

Ross-in-Pa, Intolerant and nursetim like this.
  2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

In a perfect world..............

MinervaDoe, Intolerant and robhic like this.

3. Pluto57

Pluto57

I'm sure it would, but why would truckers participate in such a strike?

Wishoot and HarlDane like this.
  4. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

It's seems a winning strategy but since I'd guess a lot of the drivers work for companies they'd have to do what they are told or be let go.

Intolerant and flyover like this.
  5. flyover

flyover

That and they, meaning Cali .gov, would activate the Guard to replace the truckers that are on strike.

6. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

You think they could actually do that? I thought it would take higher authority (like Reagan and PATCO)?

7. ARP

ARP

With? I am talking about the independent operators. A vast majority are conservative talk radio listeners. I know it happened once before, and has been threatened multiple times, but I think the movement needs organization and leadership. The unionized truckers, they would need to dump their Dz leaning leadership. The big trucking companies are sort of like Independent voters and need persuasion too.

8. flyover

flyover

If the .gov declares an in state emergency they probably could. I think but don't know for sure that state governors can use the Guard for whatever they want. Think floods, fires, earthquakes, the Guard has been called out for service.

robhic and FullClip like this.
  9. flyover

flyover

I am guessing the "With?" is replace the truckers with what. The Guard has troops who are familiar with heavy trucks. Think Transportation Battalions, somebody knows how to operate them. As for appropriating a truck, you gonna argue with a clown armed with a M16?

10. First shot

First shot

I think that I get your drift OP...seems to me, it’d have to be well organized, publicized, implemented and with a specific cause or reason clearly attached...That’s if you’re thinking of a “Change what you’re doing or else” type scenario....interesting...

11. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Sure there are some guardsmen that have the knowledge and experience to jump in a cab and take off, but my experience in the army and guard causes me to envision a giant live action pin ball game.

larry_minn likes this.
  12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Well, I worked for the 28th Transportation Battalion in Germany and we moved just about everything that moved in Europe. We were a small trucking outfit - just 300 trucks and 1000 trailers. The big accomplishment was to get 100k accident free miles on Germany autobahns.

Yes, we kind of knew how to drive trucks!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    flyover likes this.
  13. flyover

flyover

That's precisely why I mentioned transportation battalions in my post. I am sure Cali has one or two in its state.

14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Oh, OK. Let's see that happen. :popcorn:

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Fewer and fewer can drive a 18 speed. If they start taking O/O trucks. A M16 might be a bit lite. I’m a easy going guy. There is some pushing it’s just not wise to do.
    If I decide I’m taking my equipment and going home. But some 19yr old is mistaken that he can steal my property to steal my livelihood. I might get upset.
    If the government wants trucks they can buy a thousand most anywhere. I doubt you can go 70 miles on most interstate without 2 truck sales places with +25 trucks for sale.

16. Intolerant

Intolerant

Can a state actually do that? I didnt think states were allowed that kind of power just to enact the NG whenever they want to. Dosent that have to go through congress first to be approved? I dont actually know, thats why i`m asking.

EDIT:
    oop`s sorry fly, i saw where you answered another post about it. I didnt see that one when i posted

17. Ghost doctor

Ghost doctor N.R.A life member. G.O.A member

Just shut down all of the fuel tankers, without them, aint' nothin' moving.

18. flyover

flyover

It looks like if the governor can get a state emergency declared he can call out the Guard.

From Wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Guard

State and territory duty[edit]
    When National Guard units are not under federal control, the governor is the commander-in-chief of the units of his or her respective state or territory (such as Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands). The President of the United States commands the District of Columbia National Guard, though this command is routinely delegated to the Commanding General of the DC National Guard.[33] States are free to employ their National Guard forces under state control for state purposes and at state expense as provided in the state's constitution and statutes. In doing so, governors, as commanders-in-chief, can directly access and utilize the Guard's federally assigned aircraft, vehicles and other equipment so long as the federal government is reimbursed for the use of fungible equipment and supplies such as fuel, food stocks, etc. This is the authority under which governors activate and deploy National Guard forces in response to natural disasters. It is also the authority under which governors deploy National Guard forces in response to man-made emergencies such as riots and civil unrest, or terrorist attacks.[34]

• The Governor can activate National Guard personnel to "State Active Duty" in response to natural or man-made disasters or Homeland Defense missions. State Active Duty is based on State statute and policy and on State funds. Soldiers and Airmen remain under the command and control of the Governor. The federal Posse Comitatus Act (PCA) does not apply under state active duty status or Title 32 status.
    • Title 32 Full-Time National Guard Duty. (Federally funded, but command and control remains with the State Governor through his Adjutant General.) Title 32 activation can only be done by the President or SECDEF with the approval and consent of the state Governor.

Intolerant likes this.
  19. Intolerant

Intolerant

Thanks Fly, good to know!

20. Speleothem

Speleothem

Do we really wanna bring American cities bring "to their knees?"
    That doesn't sound good for the country.