Worth buying a .38 super during ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Cambo, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Also remember the advertised 38 Super velocities are set out of 5 inch barrels 9mm velocities are established out of 4 inch barrels.

This ammo shortage makes the wisdom of having a gun with the .40 357 Sig barrel swap ability very clear. On most web sites I can still buy one or the other of these calibers which I can use in the same gun and both are better SD calibers than the 38 super for a variety of reasons.

Cambo likes this.
  2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

YES. Even in the absence of a shortage. It’s a favorite cartridge of mine but I’d you’re going to venture into one I strongly recommend reloading.

Cambo likes this.

3. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime

I don't need anything. I could not, in good conscious sell anything at todays prices. With ammo shortages, I am not shooting. My brother sold a suped up ruger 1022 for 900. I could not do that to anyone. When ammo surpluses exist after election and possibly after new year, then I will buy more when prices comeback down. They are pumping that crap out and selling once they do. It will come back folks.

Scott1970 likes this.
  4. railfancwb

railfancwb

Wasn’t it popular in Mexico when their citizens could have guns but not in
    Military calibers?

5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

It still is popular in Mexico and also popular with the Mexicans living in Texas.

6. Namvet146

Namvet146

Although I currently have only one handgun chambered in 38 Super (I foolishly sold a Browning BDA in that caliber), but it is one of my favorite calibers for many of the reasons already stated. One of my local gun stores has it in stock, and another can order it with no problem, but most shops do not stock it. 38 Super has always been more expensive that 9mm, until now, but it may not be the best alternative to 9mm as a hedge against the current inventory situation. I have around 800 rounds and do shoot my pistol often. I save the brass and reload it, of course. I have also used 9mm Largo ammo in the pistol pictured with no problem. Bonus!
    CCO.jpg

Cambo and Scott1970 like this.
  7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I'm going to the range today and will shoot a 38Super Kimber Custom Target II. I will shoot 50 rounds of 22lr in a conversion unit and then shoot some 38Super just to keep accustom to the recoil and timing of my 9MM Commander. Not quiet the same. but closer to the recoil than 22lr. I got 500 rounds of 38Super PMC from Grab-A-Gun last week for around $20 a box which is easier to find and cheaper than what 9MM has been going for.

Colt38SuperDude and Cambo like this.
  8. Namvet146

Namvet146

Great score on the PMC ammo!