Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jr Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found an Abu Garcia Ambassador 5000 reel attached to an AG rod down by the lake behind my house (the water level has dropped quite a bit). It seems to reel ok concidering its been submerged for who knows how long. Is this worth tinkering with to try to rebuild it? I don't have any baitcasters and have heard that its best to go ahead and spend the money on a good one, and this seems to get ok reviews. If nothing else, I'll learn a bit more about them.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
good, durable reels. Take it apart, clean it out, oil it. It will probably perform just like a new one.

·
Jr Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any parts that commonly wear out on these? Its a pretty good sized reel, and I'm wondering if it may be too big for my purposes. Haven't looked up the line rating yet. It is my favorate price though

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Odds are it was used for Cat fishing and drug into the water when someone forgot te release the spool when leaving it sit. Alot of guys use those larger Garcia's for catfish. I have 2 in the shed attached to 9ft rods. I would imagine there isnt anything worn out on it.

Do some research on it before you use it. Ambassadeur 5000 reels have been around since the 50's and some people collect them. Figure out what year it is and you may be able to sell it on ebay and buy a smaller Ambassadeur for bass fishing.

There are some youtube vids on cleaning and rebuilding garcia reels..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9Hb75gXJg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts