Glock Talk banner

Worst MRE ever?

12442 Views 90 Replies 50 Participants Last post by  Deltic
I only ate the 90 to 05 MRE's and chicken ala thing was my least favorite. In many ways I preferred the C Rations I ate from 78-82. It seemed to me that the fancier they made the food the less I liked it. My favorite was a ham slice MRE on crackers with cheese and hot sauce.
C ration canned apricots were great on a hot day. The potatoes and beef chunks C rat was nasty when cold ( this was before we were issued any way to heat food). I remember that the first C rat I ever ate was cold canned spaghetti.
Automotive lighting Flash photography Tints and shades Wood Font

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ciBudwIV0
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Registered
3,935 Posts
Ever stomp on it to put it out?
Does tend to eat the bottom off your boot and jam your knee into your chin.

As to MRE's, anything dehydrated and Chicken Ala King. The Chicken Ala King wasn't too bad, but it seemed we had spells where that was all we got. It got old really fast. If you want really bad, try LRP's. The "fruit" bar they put in those was like eating sawdust laced with orange peel and metal shavings.
I agree, though, C rations were the best. Although I don't smoke anymore, back in the day I could go to the field with 2 packs of cigarettes to last 2 weeks, and come home with more than I left with. The brothers wanted Kool's and Salem's, everybody else wanted the Marlboro's, but usually got stuck with Pall Mall's, Camel's, or Kent's. With Kent's, you're better off smoking the filter. For me, the jack pot was getting a pound cake and saving it until I got a can of peaches. Fruit cocktail and apricots were winners, as were Ham slices.

· Registered
35,064 Posts

· Texas Born & Bred
3,711 Posts
Always carried a bottle of half Tabasco and half Lea & Perrins. That would make just about anything edible. Except the dehydrated “meat” or the obvious ham and lima beans. My favorite thing from MRE’s was take the cocoa powder, sugar, creamer and coffee, mix it together in a half canteen cup of water and stir it all together. Not only tasted wonderful, but would keep you awake all night.

· I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
3,451 Posts
I can only speak to the early-1990s MREs, but the omelet was pretty bad, followed by ham slice.

I liked everything else fine, even the chicken ala king. Chicken with rice was probably my favorite.

· Registered
21,903 Posts
I can only speak to the early-1990s MREs, but the omelet was pretty bad, followed by ham slice.

I liked everything else fine, even the chicken ala king. Chicken with rice was probably my favorite.
I had several of the ham slice MREs and I thought they were good, the chicken ala king was dog puke as far as I was concerned.

Good thing peoples tastes vary.

Reactions: Deltic

· Banned
2,810 Posts
I got onto the MRE bandwagon for a bit, right after I discovered Steve1989's YT channel.

Most of what I ate that was fresh was good. I had a 12YO ravioli that didn't pass the test of time, everything in it was just 'off'. I also had a pork sausage patty w/syrup that was gross even though it was fresh - as many have said, that entire meal was a sugar bomb, although if they'd put the maple muffin top in other things, it would be great. I remember the "beef stew" & "chicken with noodles & vegetables in sauce" tasting pretty much like Dinty Moore's stuff. Spaghetti was Chef Boy Am I Hungree quality. The sides/snacks were always decent, and the drinks... were drinks.

I do, to this day, have a cup of either chocolate milk (summer) or hot cocoa (winter) with instant coffee in it for breakfast, a take on Steve's "Army mochaccino".

· Registered
15,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

We are just going to disagree on that. The ham slice was my favorite and melted cheese made the omelet ok. I never liked chicken ala thing.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Yup the chicken and turkey ala death were horrible! And so were the freeze dried mystery meat patties (beef or pork). Beanies and weenies and the spaghetti meals were some of my favorites. You just did NOT want to eat the beanies and weenies right before flying. I did not get sick but had bad gas for days afterwards.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
My Grandaughter just went to Ordnance school at Ft Lee after basic. She hasn't seen a mess hall yet. she says they're confined to barracks because of Covid and only gets out to stand in line for MREs. Can't cook in their rooms and can't go to PX.
Question, what happened to field jackets we used to wear? The fleece things they have are a poor excuse and shouldn't be used for sub freezing temps. I'm heading to the Post Office with some large packages of jerky and hand warmers.

· Registered
516 Posts
I actually bought one of the new fleece jackets at clothing sales on Ft Lewis, it's very warm and in the rain, dried quickly.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Pretty much all of the first MRE's that everything was freeze dried was not very good. I think some of teh freezes dried pork and beef patty MRE's I ate were left over LRRP rations from Vietnam.

· Registered
640 Posts
Ham and Lima beans. There have been fights over the rations, so to avoid conflicts with the surly lowlifes I served with I would put one of the more desirable rations like beans an wieners or spaghetti in the ham and muther box and it was certain to be the last one left and I would thus avoid conflict, I would then hear someone scream out muther f.......................

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.