Glock Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Way too simple to answer right off the bat like that.

What kind of complex? Armory? Air Base? Port? Depot?

Also, what is the level of access there? One road? Open roads? Limited access roads?

Are you in the zone where someone who wants to hit the base would hit you as collateral damage? What if they quarantine you and you can't get in the base? You're SOL just like anyone else.

What if the military wanted to cordon off themselves and do a scorched earth around a perimeter so they can clear the path all around for their security? You might be collateral damage too.

Too many variables.
I'm going to let you do the research.

Thats the problem with my job, I work in an emergency department.

No matter what happens I'm gonna get screwed. This is why whomever I marry needs to be able to sustain herself and the children while I'm away fixing whatever the hell happened. At least up untill a point, then I'm leaving.

Family>pt's.

Out of country,while having family in country.'08.

Hole up in an abandoned prison. Befriend individuals with particular skill sets such as sword craft or marksmanship with a crossbow.
I'm pretty good with a bo staff. Got room for me?

As has been stated, there's no one surefire answer since the circumstances dictate whether a location is good or bad. For me, no power in the summer is bad. My three most likely shtf events here are an extended power outage in the summer, civil unrest (regardless of what starts it), or wild fires.

It's not going to be good at my house in about a week. After all this rain we're supposed to get this weekend, it's going to be weedpocalypse soon.

Hole up in an abandoned prison. Befriend individuals with particular skill sets such as sword craft or marksmanship with a crossbow.
I never understood, why they turned over Alcatraz to be a tourist spot. It seems like one hell of a spot to do something classified, or sit out a SHTF.

The problem with most prisons is the prisoners. Are you planning on releasing them or killing them?

"Fixed fortresses are a monument to the stupidity of man." - Gen GS Patton.

Nothing wrong with prepping, but there is a point where you WILL be forced by some circumstance to vacate your permanent dwelling. For the suburbanites that are stockpiling years of food, you better have a bug out plan! History does not support the bug in plan... refugees are the norm in any conflict.
I think Patton was referring to actual fortresses.

The problem with bugging out is that you're not going to be able to take all your preps with you (unless you're not all that prepared to begin with). And if you have a stocked bug out location, doesn't that then become your "fixed fortress"?

What you're saying is that you'll never be able to stay in one place indefinitely. This means you'll need several bug out locations as one by one each one is compromised and you're forced to bug out again.

And while refugees are the norm in most conflicts, they do not represent the majority of the population. Further, refugees normally flee to neighboring countries, not different locales within the country experiencing the conflict.

Of course, much depends on what the actual SHTF situation is and whether it is local, regional, national, or global.

Also, the fixed fortress comment was made in reference to war where you are facing hostiles intent on taking it and laying seige or doing whatever else to get in.

If you live well under the radar, don't advertise how great you are doing, and don't go attract trouble, do you think you will face war with overwhelming opposition laying seige to your fortress?

you can also bug in with a modified grey man strategy.... a largely burned out hulk ofa building or house that looks mostly destroyed and abandoned with burned out hulks of old cars out in front, etc...... i imagine even most looters and gangs would just keep driving on by......

I never understood, why they turned over Alcatraz to be a tourist spot. It seems like one hell of a spot to do something classified, or sit out a SHTF.
Aka Book of Eli

Worst places: A hospital.

inzone,
What's a grey man's strategy? I'm kinda new to all this prep stuff, so I'm learning.

IMO, one of the most KEY things to making it through any SHTF is going to be about:

a) Getting out of Dodge immediately before it happens, ASAP - meaning before the masses bolt.
B) Being able to chill in place for three to seven days and then getting out, if necessary

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.