close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Worst hotel you've stayed in?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Jan 13, 2010.

1. vart

vart

The thread about the saleman in Tennessee go me to think about bad hotels I've been in.

The worst was the Motel 6 near the Des Moines Airport.

Horrible stains on the carpet that I'm sure were biological, fraying wallpaper, carved up furniture, etc.

I got about 3 hours sleep that night due to the hookers that were entertaining a steady clientele of meth heads below me and a couple of rooms over.

Their "pimp" was apparently the shirtless, skinny tweaker driving a beater Chevy pickup with the front seat full of laundry that would come and go every hour.

Probably the most entertaining $29.95 I've spent.

What are your hotel horror stories?

2. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

I work in the oilfield and sometimes I have to travel throughout MS, AL, FL, AR, and TX. I can't even begin to name some of the dumps I have had to stay in. Luckily, those places have been a last resort as all companies I have worked for didn't mind getting a decent room.

3. trifecta

trifecta

Before Gore invented the internet, I booked a place in a smaller town on the TX coast. There were no big names available so I picked one of the 2 or 3 that had an 800 number. Figured that might weed out the bad ones. When we got there, my wife disagreed. Not clean and it had those giant roaches that fly sometimes. We found somewhere else to stay.

4. 540mope

540mope

some cheap Motel in Columbus Ohio....hair (not mine) on the sheets, bad mildew odor, and stains on the shower curtain, cheap thin towels. i sprayed an entire can of Lysol in the bathroom and the bed before using any of it. thank God i always pack a sheet, pillowcase, blanket, and towels when travel plans mean an overnight stay.

but it was the only room to be found, and a small price to pay to be at the MOPAR NATIONALS....yeah baby!!

5. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

My wife and I stayed at a hotel in Orlando recently, well for about an hour. We booked through hotels.com and the placed looked great. We get there and it was an absolute dump to say the least but hotels.com did do us right and are refunding our money as well as sending us a $50 coupon toward our next booking.

6. wallytoo

wallytoo FA4AA

Dew Drop Inn, Somewhere in South Dakota.
    Nice people, but the building had seen it's prime, shall we say.

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

No contest.

Motel 6, ANYWHERE!!!

The last time I stayed at one, it had filthy carpet, a foul smell coming out of the AC unit, a bed spread that smelled like dozens of dogs (that all needed a bath) had been allowed to sleep on it, a TV that barely created a picture you could almost see in dim light, and a worn out mattress that had a hollow in the middle of it that was probably deeper than the crater from the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs.

And that was one of the better ones that I've stayed at.

8. 2bgop

2bgop

About 8 years ago I stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania in downtown Manhattan. It was the worst by far. I saw a razor blade on the hallway floor.

9. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Miami Sun hotel in, well, Miami. I checked in just to crash on a bed for a couple hours and use the shower, and both of those amenities were too filthy for me to even consider.

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Comfort Suites down around Ft. Myers had a cat roaming the halls.

I inquired and they said his name was Charlie or something.

And ants in the bathroom.

11. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I stayed at a hotel with a check-out time of 11:00. The hotel clerk telephoned me at 10:52. I answered and the first thing she said was, "You have eight minutes to check out."

I stayed at another hotel with the same 11:00 check-out time. I was getting ready to go when the TV just cut off at about 10:45. I told the owner that there might be something wrong with the TV. He told me, "No, I can cut it off from the office. It gets people to check out on time."

I stayed at a foreign hotel way out in the sticks. I had an okay conversation with the owner the night I checked in. I found out months later that he murdered someone several years before.

12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Pretty much a tie between a motel whose name I can't remember in Fresno and a Howard Johnson (I think) in Flagstaff.

Fresno: Stains, two patched-over bullet holes and it was Fresno. I slept with the mattress from the second bed blocking the window and the dresser blocking the door, and my gun on the nightstand within reach.

Flagstaff: The room itself wasn't too bad (except for the loosely-fitting door that let in some light around the edges at a couple spots). The location was the worst. Right across the street from the train tracks, and the trains went through every 30 minutes, all night long. Not only did they rumble through, but they laid on the horn constantly. Even though there were gates. It was worse than the motel that My Cousin Vinnie stayed at, because it just went on all night long. Even earplugs hardly helped. It was horrible.

13. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

The woman would have definitely gotten an ear full. I can't stand the way most (not all) hotel staff treat people. They will gladly take your hard earned money to sleep in a room for a few hours though.:steamed:

14. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

The Rex Motel, somewhere around Tampa.. was passing through one night on the way to a gig in Key West.. horrible room.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Many, many years ago. The Redford Motel on Telegraph Road.

That's right, pay-by-the-hour rooms. What an absolute dump that place was.
    The bed was basically in the shape of a 'V' in the middle from all the use.

16. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I've found that the worst hotel chain to honor discounts is Microtel. They advertise a lot in the coupon books you find at rest areas. You present the coupon and they always tell you that the discount is for a limited number of rooms. They tell you, of course, that the "limited" number of rooms are gone. It took me a few trips to figure out that scam.

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I stayed at a smaller motel in Carson City last year. The manager was clearly an ex-con who quickly made me for an off-duty. He put me in a freshly-remodeled room and said that it was because I wasn't going to be the type to "party" in it and trash the place. Chatted with him some more in the morning and he was a pretty nice guy.

I never did confirm for him that I was a cop, by the way. It was just at check-in, the guy in front of me said that I looked like an off-duty officer. I told him "Officer? I was never in the military at all, let alone an officer." They both laughed and said "oh yeah, right, military.":dunno:

18. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Let us know how that works out for you. I have a hotels.com horror story and they've never done anything promised. Have heard the same from several others upon swapping stories.

I truely hope they deliver for you.

19. USMC G23

USMC G23

I don't recall the name but me and my wife were driving from central NC to central Tx.... on the trip down with our daughter (less than a yr old) we drove until we were stopping every 30 min. and found a place got all our crap in got the baby settled in her playpen got showers and pulled the covers back and the bed was full of any bug you would ever find in a hotel.... lady at front desk told us they exterminated and that room was occupied so it didn't get sprayed.... she then offered us our $ back but no other rooms open.... I drove for another 3-4 hrs. untill we found a nice place.... baby was wide *** awake then :crying: I think we got 2hrs. of sleep ....

20. NorthCarolinaLiberty

If you're talking Telegraph Road Michigan, then that entire stretch is a horror story unto itself.