close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

worst fear of owning a gun?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by wingz, Mar 24, 2006.

1. wingz

wingz speed not power

BOG brothers,

since the first time that i actually fired a gun, i've been hooked into it , basically not on shooting(initially), but the gun itself- it's power, beauty, and the way it reacts with the target that it hits. now that i finally own one, i find it quite annoying and disturbing when i think of a situation wherein i 'll be involved in an actual shooting without any proper training of shooting my own gun. kaya nga, after na narelease ang ptt ko, i hurriedly went to armscor and initiated myself and start practicing; of course with the help mostly from your precious tips and advice. What about you guys, your worst fear of owning a gun?

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Hi wingz :)

Worst fear?
    Fatal ND.
    After that, failing to shoot when I should.

Cheers,
    horge

3. toxic

toxic

worst fear hmm .. my worst fear is basically the same as your;s and this two:
    1. In my younger days,i often engaged in a fist fight, tube-pipe fight and stone throwing "'gang war type situations" (which is pretty normal back then. I grow up in the slums and back then you need to show you can depend yourselp or you will be at the bottom of the food chain under the mercy of the thugs extorting money )but what if in an actuall shooting situation, one cannot say what reaction will you do if a perp is in front of me, will i shoot or will i freeze and wet my pants..
    2. again in a shooting situation saying im all pump up, ready to shoot to kill mind set and all, then suddenly my weapon fail to shoot . thats a big bummer.

getting your ptt and practicing the skills of shooting is definitely the way go and that is the same reason why i compete (if time permits)or take my gear and go to the range as often as i can, I dont know if anyone will agree shooting is my way of releaving stress, releasing work related tension. working abroad and far away from my loveones can really make one crazy(trust me on this).
    The smell of gun powder is my YOGA.

Do you remember Sonny Parson's ordeal..the skills of shooting save his day.

4. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

madami! not in order . . .

1) agaw armas - you're minding your own business, perp sees bag/bulk on your shirt, hits you on the head very hard with a large hammer, runs with your firearm
    2) thief SOMEHOW gets your firearm, uses it on loved ones
    3) shoot perp, FMJ bullet goes through perp and hits bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time

5. romram

romram

worst fear of owning a gun? (lalo na mga LEGAL owners)

pag nagka MARTIAL LAW, ubos tayo!
    Like what happen last SOE (state of emergency)
    those legitimate owners fear na baka ma revoke mga gun license.
    No wonder, di apektado mga loose gun owners!

:frown:

6. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Worst fear? Having my guns stolen while I am away and learning later on that they were used to hurt innocent people.

All my other fears can be addressed by continuous training, mechanical maintenance, and an alert mindset. Actually, I've come to the conclusion that if a situation is so dire that I have to draw my gun, then I would have failed as a student of self-defense since I didn't detect the visual or environmental cues that are present before an attack, I didn't exert greater effort to de-escalate a tense situation, I didn't harden my home hard enough to make it a less enticing target, or I was so engrossed in doing something that I slipped from condition yellow to white.

7. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

To need my gun and not have it... .

8. RATRAT

RATRAT

Yung gastos that goes with owning a gun:) :)
    Addicting Bro!!the things to buy seems never ending..lagi kang me naiisip na gustong bilhin!!!:supergrin:

----------------------
    "Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.
    When trouble threatens, call on me,
    For I shall equalize”– Glock 17

9. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Worst fear. Siguro nga an ND resultng in personal injury or worse, the injury of a loved one. Next on my list would be a malfunction in the heat of a gunfight.

10. Allegra

Allegra

Had a beretta dati that I dyrfired everyday
    I usually carried it when transporting the daily sales ng field office namin
    It was a busy month and when I finally found the time to get myself to the range , the gun wouldnt fire
    Bali na pala firing pin , so basically I was carrying a paper weight for who knows how long
    That stuck w/ me , kaya everytime I pick up a gun , tingin agad ako sa breech kung may firing pin pa. automatic

11. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

worst fear of owning a gun: the responsibility that comes with it. although i am not quite comfortable with the word "fear". "burden" sounds more like it. :supergrin:

12. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

fear of malfuction, etc etc, thats why i carry a stock glock

13. MELBU

MELBU Ann2Tero

Accidental discharge hitting an innocent kid.

Using it on a person.

14. wingz

wingz speed not power

+ on sonny parsons story sir. saludo ako sa tao, the way he handled the situation, it's clearly an action of a properly trained shooter and a mindset person. these days you'll never know who will hit you, does'nt matter if you're in the street or in your bed. everything can happen with a blink of an eye. guess, overcoming such fear, requires total knowledge of your gun and a lot of practice, practice, and practice in the range.

15. wingz

wingz speed not power

a friend' s worst fear or----- ?

he acquired a used colt combat commander from a politician down south last year. the gun was issued through a mission order ; and his worst fear is that , he may not be able to get it a proper license under his name.:shakehead:

16. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Not much fear. I switched to a revolver some time ago. Easy to see if it's loaded or not (just swing out the cylinder - no "I forgot there was still a round inside the chamber" ), and just basically a simple mechanism, and it needs a deliberate relatively heavy pull on its DA trigger to fire. Reloading is generally somewhat slower than with a semi-auto but it's a simple gravity-feed speedloader, no magazine spring screwups to worry about.

17. wingz

wingz speed not power

Hi sir melbu,

the 1st also gives me the chill. :shakehead:

18. wingz

wingz speed not power

i just started to dryfire last week with my jeans' worn out leather patch; cut and punched with a hole in the middle to fit the area(don't know yet tha actual name)of the firing pin head to serve as a buffer to protect it from the hammer slam. Courtesy of SMbeerdealer. maybe i should do that too- always check for my firing pins' status. nice info sir A. thanks :outtahere:

19. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

The only fear I have is not knowing if I have the wisdom when to justifiably take a human life.

20. isuzu

isuzu

Having a gun and don't know how to use it. Just like having a car and not knowing how to operate one. That could get you or somebody else killed.