Worst case of New England printing ever...

Discussion in 'New England Colonial Club' started by Floodster, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Floodster

Floodster

I posted this in Carry Issues, but I'd like to see some home grown CT responses... :)

In Connecticut at a Big Y grocery store...

Of all places, I saw an old guy (think Willie N.) with a grayed out pony tail, beard, bandanna, tattoos, etc.

No kidding... This guy was wearing a sleeveless/wife beater faded "Larry the Cable Guy" shirt that said, "The Right to Keep and BARE Arms". Not BEAR arms, but sleeveless "bared" arms. Talk about advertising.

I looked at the typical 3-4 o'clock carry position and saw an OWB large pistol printing "plain as day". I discreetly carry, so I had to look. This guy bent down to grab something out of a floor freezer and the bottom half of the holster was exposed and when he stood up, his shirt hooked over the grip. I pointed out to my "clueless" wife and even she saw it and admitted it was pretty obvious.

Anyway, that's the most blatant "I don't give a crap" printing I've ever seen in a state that is not conducive to open carry.

I don't mind, personally, but I hadn't seen a "redneck carry" like that since my years in Florida/Alabama! :rofl:

2. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Whats amazing is that most people wouldnt even notice, unless they are 'gun' people themselves.

3. Floodster

Floodster

Will this guy was pretty blatant. What would happen if a LEO saw someone print in CT? I realize it probably depends on the area/town, but, what would happen in general? Would that be grounds for permit revocation? The BPFE FAQs say that a permit is in jeopardy if someone open carries and it causes some sheep to get "scared" or something... :upeyes:

4. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Too hypothetical to answer. As you said, it depends on town, area, and officers attitude and knowledge of the statutes. In CT, the permit is a permit to carry... it does not require concealment, but no one wants to be a test case on this. If I saw a guy printing, I might pull him aside when safe to do so, and do a NCIC check... and then give him some 'friendly' advice.

5. Floodster

Floodster

So, advocate inconveniencing someone and detaining them during legal carry? That's what's so jacked up about this state. The permit says NEITHER open NOR concealed carry. Couldn't someone be technically busted doing either one?

6. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

I agree.... spoke to the CSP firearms unit about the permit. They readily admitted that there is no provision for mandatory concealed carry, but stated that doing so would most likely result in a Breach of Peace arrest when someone complained that 'they got scared'. My answer to that is, "Its a shame that a person exercising their 2nd amendment rights scares you." I think the arrest could be successfully fought, but again... who wants to be the test case. I know, if I had someone carrying openly, and someone complained, as long as the person wasnt being irresponsible, he'd get no problems from me.

7. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

It says somewhere in there that every effort has to be made to keep it concealed, but it doesn't say anything about it being illegal.

I'll see if I can find that.

edit, it's the same statement you make.

...mature judgment dictates that every effort should be made to make sure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it. When your gun becomes visible so as to cause alarm, the police are called, and your permit to carry is placed in jeopardy of revocation.

8. Floodster

Floodster

And that right there is a major reason NOT to open carry, although I hear it's done in the northern more farmland/rural areas.

I have too many hand guns that I'd hate to have to give up if I lost my permit... That's why I'm so paranoid about printing up here. The guy in my original post sure didn't seem to be, but maybe he's a cop or something. I highly doubt it, however...

9. Maine1

Maine1

not to sound like too much of a county bunpkin here..

I recently started checking the NECC threads..an the mood seems to be one of fear...and i understand this. i felt the same way when living in California..thats why I LEFT.

So this guy exposed his weapon..and if someone *****es he loses his guns? is this correct?
    that means that an alleged exposure, from someone who dislikes you, will get you weapons yanked?

10. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Maine1 - no guarantees on anything. BTW, in case you don't already know, don't try open carry in Portland.

11. Maine1

Maine1

yes I know. Portland is not really Maine...