worn 'slick' finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AgentAdam, Nov 5, 2010.

1. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

Does anyone have a well worn looking Glock with the slick, shinny finish? I see lots of holster wear on the dark matte grey park looking slides but never the slippery finish. I wouldn't mind the well worn look but this finish seems to always look brand new. When it rubs against metal it actually scratches the other object leaving a metal streak on top of the finish like a crayon that just rubs off.

2. AustinTx

AustinTx

I have a G31 with a DDC S/N prefix, bought before the slick finish came along and the only finish missing anywhere, is the paint, off the slide stop. I'm beginning to think Glock has several different companies doing the finish application, on their guns. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, as to what kind of finish, came on what Glock, or when.

3. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

Lone Wolf Dist. offers a black oxide finish, claiming this is what Glock used prior to 2003. I agree that glock has really jumped around on the finish of not only the slide but the barrel also. They even have different variations off the matte finish over the years.

I am referring to the legendary mid to late 2000's finish that was glossy,jet black,and very slick almost like teflon before they went back to a matte finish around 09'.

4. Nest

Nest

I've got a 21sf with the glossy black finish and no wear at all. Wear it every day at work on an armored truck for a year, and nothing. Customers and co-workers are always commenting on how my weapon always looks brand new, and everyone elses looks like crap. One customer is convinced I buy a new gun every month.

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I am happy that I bought my 19 (Oct 05), 2nd 26 (Nov 07) and 27 (Oct? 08) when Glock was using that slick finish.

6. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

I have a 21SF that has wear on the slide. I'm not sure which holster caused this, it's either my kydex one or leather Kirkpatrick Texas Strong Side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find this hard to believe after sitting in a Glock armorers class and rubbing the armorer's tool on the slides of the guns (as instructed) without causing any damage!

No, my slide was not dropped, drug behind a car or dropped from an airplane!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. AustinTx

AustinTx

Henny
    I think those scratch marks are probably from Kydex. My 31 has been carried exclusively in leather and doesn't show any slide wear. The paint is completely gone from my slide stop.

8. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

glock ? for such a smart comp.why they didnt keep this finish is beyond me, my lat 2009 19 with the teflon,shiny finish is bullitproof,why they didnt stay with this finish is just stupid on their part!!!:dunno:

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Beats me too. My June 2009 NGS prefix 17 is a good gun but has a rough matte finish similar to the earlier finish. It is not a make or break thing for me but the self lubing slick finish rocks.

10. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

i know i just bought my wife a 26 in august of this year and carried it a little so far and it is showing wear(not that it bothers me)but my 19 has been carried in the same mtac and shows nothing with the teflon finish,why didnt they just stay with it:dunno:

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

The problem here, is the fact that my slide, that is still black, is a Glock with the rough finish. It's dated around 1998. I can't remember when the slick finish came out, if I ever knew, but it's definitely more bullet-proof than the rough texture.

12. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

AustinTx, I imagine it's from the kydex (Raven Concealment) too, but it's hard to believe that plastic would wear the finish like it did! Especially after attempting to scratch a Glock slide in the armorer's class - as we were instructed to attempt. Granted, I shoot my 21SF a lot and in turn, holster and un-holster it a lot too. But plastic?

I really like this gun. It's probably my favorite Glock, but after owning it a little over a year I had to replace the striker due to the front of the pin wearing / becoming rounded off and now the finish isn't holding nearly as well as my other Glocks.

13. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

My gen 3 G19 has the slick jet black finish, ive owned it for 2 years and it has a tad bit of holster wear. My Gen 4 G23 that i just bought has the matte gray finish on the slide and barrel, i prefer it as it is more grippy than the slick one. Wear and tear i could care less about. I dont send my guns through a grinder but they are tools none the less so it matters not to me whether they look beat up.

14. ALLAN PENEYRA

ALLAN PENEYRA

holster wear gives the character of my Glocks.been carrying my 23 since 2005.now,it's my 33's turn.the 17 (converted to full auto)stays awake all night. :cool:

15. ALLAN PENEYRA

ALLAN PENEYRA

holster wear gives the character of my Glocks.been carrying my 23 since 2005.now,it's my 33's turn.the 17 (converted to full auto)stays awake all night. :cool:

16. vmann

vmann Controller

my 2010 27 that i just purchased a month ago has the shiny teflon looking finish...i looked at two different ones, one had the matte dull finish and the other had the shiny finish...

17. matt c

matt c

I got the shiny finish on my G30 when I got it last week....test shot late june 2110. Shop had it for a few months. I'm fine with it, I prefer this finish to the matte one that is out now. No wear marks...LOL. have it in an uncle mikes for about a week...hehe

18. English

English

The leather holster might be the culprit even though it seems softer. Leather will hold and embed small particles of grit which abrade the pistol. With kidex they will fall off.

English

19. 1Sg (Ret)

1Sg (Ret) Glock armorer

Its a combination of plastic with dust and sand particles.When you holster and un holster it rubs the slide in spots or it does on mine.I have some of both slick and matte finishes.They just wear different.

20. AustinTx

AustinTx

I totally agree with you, about that. I was just trying to say that the older, rough looking finish, or newer gray/rough finish, don't all seem to be able to take wear the same.

Like someone has said, sand can get embedded, in a leather holster. That's what keeps the sand from scratching the surface, it's down in the leather fluff. Sand, in a plastic holster, is forced up against the gun, like sandpaper and scratches it. That's nothing but my opinion.