World War II History Buffs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Keith, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I stumbled across a slew of post WW2 films that were produced in the early 1950's that are similar to the old series Victory At Sea. There are also military training films circa 1940's and later that I haven't watched. All this is on You Tube in a channel called Periscope Film. Not sure if any of Glock Talk guys are into this history but thought I'd pass on the info.

2. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Thanks. WW2 history buff here!:flag:

3. Sniff

Sniff

I'll have a look.

4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I can always look at more WWII stuff

5. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

My favorite YT guy is Montemayor he’s done videos about a few battles of WWII, in the Pacific. They’re amazing! Many of you have already seen them he’s got a great one on Pearl and and absolute masterpiece on Midway.

In November I’m going to Belgium to tour WWI and WWII battlefields, including Bastogne and a stop at Dunkirk on the way back here to the UK.

6. Deltic

Deltic

7. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

TimeGhost History has several interesting Youtube channels.

WW2 Week By Week and Between 2 Wars. He is dressed like a '30s reporter and he has a very engaging manner. I love the bit with the phone during each episodes opening. I thought I was very well educated about WW2, but I have been learning a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLfMmOriSyPbd5JhHpnj4Ng

8. Haldor

Bill Keith likes this.
  9. Deltic

Deltic

10. WT

WT Millennium Member

This week marks the 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Paris by AMERICAN troops.

Some French pretended they had something to do with it.

11. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

Thanks to everyone in this thread who gave me some great suggestions. I love WWII history.

12. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Being young during WW2, I don't remember much of the time.
    My Father (who I didn't know) was a Soldier in WWII.

At age 17 (1955) I joined the USMC, so WW2, and especially the Marine's part is of interest.

Last week I was watching a show of the Marines on Iwo Jima.
    Amazing.

Iwo Jima lflagi.jpg

It makes me wonder if I would be tough enough to to stand up to what the military and civilians went through during those WWII years.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    pgg00, Caver 60, ruffhunter and 4 others like this.
  14. Haldor

If you made it through the crucible then you would do fine.

15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

pgg00, Blanton, ruffhunter and 2 others like this.
  16. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

Real History has fleshed out a lot of unknowns and even outright Lies about the war. Lately Ive been trying to study how the other countries thought and what they experienced. Most of all the Japanese because History has been content to forget about them. The Germans, even tho we incinerated the place, were organized enough to leave a complete written record of everything for Historians. They were real sticklers for documentation.

The Japs, meanwhile, left comparatively nothing. Even pictures. Their reasoning was that our bombs destroyed all the evidence of the war and their atrocities. And they said it with a straight face. MacArthur needed to get the place up and running cause the new war with communism was already starting so he gave The Royal Family a pass from prosecution even tho they were all guilty as hell. Unit 731 got a pass in exchange for their information accrued from years of chem/bio attacks on the Chinese and Korean's.

I'm not judging. The Red's would have done worse and the world was far different but its made me weary of period propo pieces as serious Historical material. Its all worth a look see however and I thank you for providing it.

One interesting Doc on you tube is "The rise and fall of the Japanese Empire", or, "Seisen" "Japan's Holy War". On Amazon a propo piece "Our enemy Japan". Also "Kanji Ishiwara the man who triggered the War".

Yes WW2 was actually started by a small group of rouge officers of the IJA. Ishiwara and another Colonel of the IJA, on their own, came up with a phony rail road bomb masquerade and pinning the blame on the Chinese. Using it as an excuse to invade Manchuria in 1931. Hitler later used the same nonsense scheme to invade Poland in 1939.

But it was these Colonel's whom on their own started a chain of events that led to American military aid being sent to China, and then later sanctions, and the Jap army becoming tied down in China unable to retreat due to loss of face, the agreements with Germany...ect...ect

On Netflix I recommend "The Savage Peace" which is a Doc on what happened after the war in former occupied Lands, especially Czechoslovakia, where the ethnic Germans were given payback for the atrocities of the Nazi's.

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

18. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

You guys will love this YouTube channel I've recently discovered:

Memoirs of WWII

19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Netflix has a slew of WWII documentary starting with....

Five Came Back...about the Hollywood directors who went to war and produced many of the Why We Fight/Know Your Enemy films. William Wyler, John Huston, John Ford, Frank Capra and George Stevens.

They also have...which were made by the above

Why We Fight: The Battle of Russia
    Undercover, working behind enemy lines
    Tunisian Victory
    Thunderbolt
    Know your Enemy-Japan
    San Pietro
    Prelude to War
    Memphis Belle-The Story of a Flying Fortress

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

Guess who flew in the very first B17 raid in Europe to the rail yards at Rouen France?

Yep Paul Tibbets. And 3 years Later he was on the stick of the Enola Gay over Hiroshima.

Kokura Japan had to be the Luckiest city in the History of the world. It was #2 if Hiroshima was clouded over because it was a major arms manufacturing city and so far hadn't been touched. Then a few days later it was target #1 and Bock's Car flew over it 3 times bomb bays open and "Fat Man" ready to go but they couldn't find a hole in the clouds and didn't want to use radar targeting for the atomic bombs. So they turned and headed to Nagasaki. Another major arms city and naval port.

Like Hiroshima, which housed an entire army.

In History 2019 they like to blubber how the war was over and how we used the bombs for show and they weren't needed. Well in reality 1945 of course Japan wanted to end the war but they wanted to do it on their terms. They didn't want war prosecution or even enemy occupation tho they were willing to extricate their army from China and who can blame them? They knew Stalin was about to invade and they had no chance.

But like Germany did in WW1 they wanted the same type deal, and you saw how good that worked out in 1918. The Japs wanted the 3 pillars of their power left intact, that of royalty, Industry, and Military and were willing to die as a nation to keep them.

They had 10,000 airplanes left on the homeland to launch Kamakazi's. Millions of soldiers, their best tanks saved, Loons with pitch forks. There were 150,000 casualties at Okinawa alone and who knows how many civilians? And Okinawa would have been a square dance compared to taking all the Islands of Japan.

The only help the Soviets could give would be to attack in Manchuria and Stalin was only interested in grabbing territory on the mainland anyway. He wasn't about to attack the Jap main Islands nor did he have the amphibious capability.

This nonsense about the bomb still upsets me when I hear it. We went as far as we could to avoid civilian casualties in both Asia and Europe. But both Japan and Germany dispersed production to smaller centers and home Industry's in densely packed urban area's so thats on them not us.

It was the Brits who carpet bombed German city's at night and after what the krauts did to them who can blame them? And Dresden was a major rail hub as well as had over 100 arms factories including a major one for Zeiss optics which made all the sights for German heavy guns.

This Kurt Vonnegut nonsense of it not being a Legit target and 100,000 civilians killed is horse manure. It was a major military target and we bombed only Industrial targets during the day, the RAF fire bombed it at night.

Even the fire bombing of Tokyo had to be done because the Japs had so much small Industry located in the ****amachi district. Like the Germans they were pre-fabbing aircraft parts, and other weapons, in the light Industry factories and then shipping the parts to assembly hubs, trying to hide the entire operation near civilian area's. Of course the Jap's built most of their buildings out of wood and paper which isn't such a good idea in a war.

So maybe neither country should have started one.