World War 1: The Great War

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Hey folks, I just started watching episode 1 of this 3-part series about World War 1. I find war and history to be quite fascinating, and I thought I would share it with all of you.

The links are on PBS, and are available for the next 6 days, before they expire. All three episodes are free. They first aired last year in April, so it's a relatively new documentary.

Here are the direct links in order:

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/american-experience/american-experience-great-war-part-1/

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/american-experience/american-experience-great-war-part-2/

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/american-experience/american-experience-great-war-part-3/

Each episode is just short of 2 hours long. No commercials or advertisements either.

Enjoy everyone! And remember: only 6 days left before they are taken out of circulation, then you have to pay to see them.

What the hell was Europe thinking? That was the question asked in the beginning of the first episode. They had such a good thing going. :frown:

TBO, DocCasualty, mj9mm and 8 others like this.
  2. Dave514

Dave514

It was a great series and I'll second your nomination.

It's amazing how 1 event in a tinderbox touched off a century, so far, of world conflicts.

As for WWI, itself, I think it had to be the worst to find yourself in the middle of.

3. 50 Cent

50 Cent

More like "What was Germany Thinking?" They basically threw the war away. They had beaten Russia and had access to tons of grain circumventing the Allied blockade...along likely with oil and crushing the Bolsheviks released 1 -2 million fresh experienced troops that could have manned the defences.

On top of which their U-Boats made forays to the American Eastern seaboard as early as 1915, sailing all the way from Kiel / Wilhelmshaven with no milch cows/supply ships/intermediate ports. If Drumbeat was bad imagine if it had been done in 1917.

I remember emailing the late John Keegan, the noted British historian similiar questions (in one of his books he had actually had his Sandhurst email address)
    and he actually nicely responded -- basically giving me an electronic shrug.

Glad I wasn't the only one with questions.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Westexas, Dr. Bill and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Westexas

Westexas

There’s also good reason to believe that H1N1 “Spanish Flu” would not have been as big a pandemic as it was. WW1
    created extreme crowding in many areas and exacerbated its spread. A perfect storm.

janice6, OGW, Dr. Bill and 1 other person like this.
  5. flyover

flyover

Ah, yes. The war to end all wars, it didn't quite work out that way did it? Combine military strategy left over from the Napoleonic era and, for then, modern fire power. What could possibly go wrong?

6. 50 Cent

50 Cent

My late Grandfather lived thru that -- I remember asking him about it. It was the only time I ever saw a look of sheer terror cross his face and he wouldn't talk about it. He just walked away shaking his head.

janice6, Rotn1, Westexas and 2 others like this.
  7. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

I disagree. The blockades were working, the German people were starving and the Kaiser’s generals knew this by the end of 1918. The entrance of the US did bring money to the Allies and now no end in site for Germany.

The Russians quit and had their own issues to deal with and Germany was simply happy to then only have one front to contend with.

No, an armistice is what they had to press for at that point.

Deltic, Westexas and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Our grandfathers were certainly better men from a tougher generation. My grandfather on my mother's side enlisted in the Civilian Conservation Corp as a young man until it was disbanded in 1942. He did many things in life; everything from road building to carpentry, and eventually boat building. And his hands shriveled up into claws from all of his years of hard work, to the point where he had to have surgery on them just to move his fingers. But even after the surgery, they were never the same.

He contracted lung cancer from all those years of working unprotected on fiberglass boat hulls, and he died in late 1982, just before I was born the following May.

Sorry for the derail. Your comment made my mind wander. Carry on.

9. WT

WT Millennium Member

Thanks for the links.

I have had the good fortune to walk the battlefields in France that my grandfather fought on. Those American soldiers back then were true heroes going thru what they did.

10. Anomander

Anomander

J. Gambolputty and Jade Falcon like this.
  11. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

My Grandfather was there too, on the east side of the line in the German army.

mj9mm likes this.
  12. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Thanks for posting this, somehow I’ve missed it. Nice to see a treatment from the American perspective. My favorite treatment to date is this one. I pull it out and watch again from time to time.

C3C2358C-1C06-45EC-91FC-3B3AE8F1F98E.jpeg

mj9mm and Jade Falcon like this.
  13. Westexas

Westexas

No doubt. The pandemic killed between 50 to 100 million worldwide. At one point, 7 thousand people a week were dying in Philadelphia. A significant civilization “disruptor.”

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

One of my favorite songs, two versions for your listening pleasure. Very sad.

The first is by Celtic Thunder, with the late George Donaldson (center, laying down) opening the song with his amazing voice. He died at his home in Glasgow, Scotland, of a massive heart attack in March of 2014 at the age of 46.

The second version is by the great Tommy Fleming. This guy's voice brings me to tears.

15. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Jade Falcon and DocCasualty like this.
  16. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Anyone else been to the Verdun Memorial ... and seen what lies under it through the plexiglass?

17. TeaDub

TeaDub

Thanks for posting @Jade Falcon . I just watched the first installment to it's end. A bit less on the actual war and a bit more on politics here than I would've preferred. A little bit of an agenda mixed in as well. That's OK. A fine bit of information!

As a side note, I am totally loving Wilson's glasses. Two lenses with nothing over the ears. Very cool!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez

janice6, TeaDub and Jade Falcon like this.
  19. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

I saw this when it came out and watched it again recently, was really good. Wish Ken Burns would do a documentary on it, his documentaries are always awesome.
    That looks awesome, hopefully it's shown around me, of course I know my wife wont want to go so would probably have to go by myself haha

mj9mm and Jade Falcon like this.