Workout Routine These Days

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by ateamer, Apr 14, 2016.

1. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Haven't been here in a long time...so here is what I have been doing for a while now:

Train Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I alternate workouts - chest/shoulders/tris/abs/grip and legs/back/bis/neck. If I do chest on Monday, then Wednesday is back, Friday is chest again, etc. Within that schedule, the workouts on the bodyparts are alternated as well. On the above week, Monday would be a workout with weights, most sets done for eight reps and pushing it pretty hard. The next chest workout, Friday, is mostly bodyweight exercises done for much higher reps to give the joints a break.

Typical workouts are:

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Abs/Grip
    Heavy:
    Incline (30-degree) dumbbell press - warmup as needed followed by two work sets
    Flat dumbbell bench - 2x8
    Incline Fly - 2x8
    Front DB raise - 2x8
    DB lateral - 2x8
    Close-grip bench, top half of rep only - 2x8
    Cable pushdown - 2x8
    Band pushdown - 2x8
    Crunches - 1x30-40
    Situp - 1x20-30
    Flutter kicks - 1x20-30
    Grip (Ironmind Captains of Crush gripper) - 3x5-6 (currently on the #2 - can get the 2.5 1/3" from closed)

Light:
    Pushups w/feet on tall box or bench - as many sets as it takes to reach 100 reps
    Ring pushups - 2-3x20
    Bench dips - 2-3x15-20
    Band pushdown - 2x10-12
    Abs - same as on heavy day
    Grip - One lever lower than heavy day, 3x8-10

TurboRocket likes this.
  2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Legs/Back/Bis/Neck
    Heavy:
    Some type of squat, usually barbell or kettlebell - warmup followed by 2x8
    Glute-ham raise - 2-3x8
    Pullup - 2x8
    Close parallel grip pullup - 2x8
    Barbell row - 2x8
    Barbell shrug - 2-3x6
    Barbell curl - 2x8
    Preacher curl - 2x8
    Incline DB curl - 2x8
    Neck harness - 2x8
    Front neck - plate on forehead, lying supine on bench - 2x8
    Side neck - band attached to rack, looped around head - 2x8

Light:
    Light KB or free squats - 3x10-20
    GHR - 2x8
    Pullup - as many sets as it takes to reach 30-40 reps
    KB or DB shrug - 2-3x8-10
    E-Z bar curl - 2-3x8
    Incline DB curl, arms out to side - 2-3x8
    Neck - same as heavy day

Cardio:
    Warmup on heavy bag for a couple of 1 or 2 minute rounds.
    Stationary bike or elliptical after most workouts or on days off, 10-20 minutes.

TurboRocket likes this.

3. yam

yam

Correct me if I am wrong, but a few years ago when I first started working out, you had a minimalist approach. There was even an Ateamer workout posted. What has changed with your approach?

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

This was a basic routine I posted a few years ago:

Workout 1:
    Bench
    Close Grip Bench
    Military Press
    Situps

Workout 2:
    Squat
    Deadlift (every other workout)
    Pullups or Rows
    Hanging Leg Raises

Work out on Monday-Wednesday-Friday with alternating workouts. The first workout, such as Workout 1 on Monday, do three sets of three to five reps on each exercise; ab work can be done for higher reps, but try doing situps with enough weight so you can only do no more than eight reps. The second workout, such as Workout 1 done on Friday of that same week, do three sets of six to eight on each exercise. In each workout, use enough weight so that you can only get the prescribed reps. It is a good idea to not work to failure, but leave one rep in the rack. (The rep you fail on will be the one with bad form and get you hurt.)

Deadlifts are only done every other time you do workout 2, on the low-rep day.

Begin the workout with warmups (and they are just that - warmups, not work sets). Don't do any more warmups than are necessary to get ready for the work sets. Once you have done the work sets on the first exercise, no warmups are necessary with the other exercises. Go right to the work weight. Rest as short a time as possible between sets. Each workout should take no longer than 30-35 minutes.

Every six or eight weeks, on the heavy day, work up to a heavy single. If you have competent spotters, don't be afraid to max out and test your strength, as long as you can do it with proper form.
    --------------------------------------------------
    At the time, I had stopped powerlifting due to a serious injury plus burnout. I used several different routines after quitting PL, and this one was a good all-around basic workout system.

My current routine was arrived at over time, due to a combination of aging and slower recovery time, beat-up joints that should no longer be subjected to low-rep heavy weights, the need to have more endurance and overall fitness and changing interests. I honestly do not care how much I can max out, at least for a max single. It is fun every now and then to max out on pushups or pullups (64 and 12, respectively, a few months ago - currently a bit less).

My right knee is too wrecked to do barbell squats anymore. Due to seven (and hopefully not counting) injuries to that knee while on duty, there is no cartilage left - it's bone on bone with Grade 3 to 4 arthritis, meaning big, painful bone spurs. I can do free squats, kettlebell or similar front squats with light weights and leg press with no issues, but any type of back squat changes the angles to where it is anywhere from uncomfortable to painful.

The doctors said I will need a full knee replacement in the future, and it's looking like another cleanup surgery is going to be needed pretty soon, as the knee often locks up on flexion.

I have bumped up the free squats from 3x10-20 to 3-4x30+, and with shorter rest periods.

In 10 years, who knows what the workouts will look like? I suspect it'll be even more bodyweight exercises, more bike riding and swimming and little or no benching or overhead pressing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. Detectorist

Detectorist

That's a lot of sets.

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

It's only six sets per bodypart, done with moderate weights. On light days, it's mostly bodyweight.

Did something a bit different yesterday...quick warmup then did singles on the bench up to an easy pause single with 305. Most weight I have benched in several years, and with one exception, the first time I've benched with more than 245 and fewer than six reps in the last year. Muscle memory, I guess.

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

I am older than most in the forum. My daily workout - a series of what can be described as physical therapy/yoga/Pilates. Takes over an hour. Most of the time I do part, rest and then more. Here are the important things - 1. I do it every day; 2. I have been doing it for years; 3. I have no pain. I finish up with timed flying supermen sets. This is when you lay down on your belly with feet and arms outstretched in a line (like Superman) off the ground and hold the position. It took over 6 months of daily effort years ago to being able to do the Superman part. Other exercise? Like Saturday afternoon - one paid Argentine tango class and two free classes where I work with new dancers.

Yes, I used to do daily weight lifting in the gym. It is tough to discipline one's self to do exercise every day, so regardless of what you choose, my hat is off to you. The toughness is in your mind, no matter what exercise you do.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Thanks! I've been training with weights since 1980. It's as much a natural occurrence as is breathing. I don't think I could stop exercising even if I wanted to.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Aaaand it's been changed up a bit. Inspired by the Olympics, lack of time and boredom, I have been doing just about only bodyweight exercises for the last month. Lots of pushups using gymnastic rings, ring dips, pullups, inverted shrugs on the rings (found out my abs and glutes weren't as strong as I thought), L-sits on parralets (tripled my performance - went from almost one second to three seconds). I have started pistol squats and can only go six to eight inches down and get wobbly. My quads are weak as a kitten. A handstand hasn't happened yet, but will.

Cardio continues, but a lot more intervals instead of steady speed.

It's not only a lot of fun and I'm learning movements I have never done before, but I am also getting into better overall shape and for once am not feeling beaten up, even a day or two after a strenuous workout.

TurboRocket likes this.
  10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Oooohhhhh, gonna be sore. I just did pushups - real ones, nose, chest, abs touch the floor and arms fully locked out on every rep - to failure on every set until I failed on the first rep of the set. Thirty to 45 seconds between sets. It took 46 minutes. No idea how many total reps but it had to be 200 or so. I finiahed 2-1/2 hours ago and am already tightening up across the chest.

Not bad for 49 years old.

robbcayman likes this.
  11. robbcayman

robbcayman

I have a split routine that has worked well for me:

Monday: Chest and Tri's
    Tuesday: Cardio (HITT) and Abs
    Wednesday: Back, Bi's & Forearms
    Thursday: Shoulder and Legs
    Saturday or Sunday depending on schedule: Cardio and light abs

Normally take off Friday and one of the weekend days for family time. It allows for good rest and relaxation too.

ateamer likes this.
  12. hooligan74

hooligan74

Just starting a "Boring But Big" cycle from Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

Monday:
    5/3/1 Prescribed sets/reps/weights back squat
    5x10 Deadlifts at 50%
    5x10 Ab wheel rollouts

Tuesday:
    5/3/1 Prescribed sets/reps/weights bench press
    5x10 Strict press at 50%
    5x10 Pull-ups

Thursday:
    5/3/1 Prescribed sets/reps/weights deadlift
    5x10 Back squats at 50%
    5x10 Hanging leg raises

Friday:
    5/3/1 Prescribed sets/reps/weights strict press
    5x10 Bench press at 50%
    5x10 Pull-ups

Next month the 5x10 sets go up to 60% and the month after that they (hopefully) go up to 70%.

ateamer likes this.