close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Workout Routine Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Remind me again of what you would suggest for a basic home gym too.

Kettlebells? What weights?

Bench? Dumbbells? Bar?

The gym we go to is small, and most days, the few benches are full, as are the squat racks. This relegates us to the cardio stuff of the machines. That's frustrating.

2. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

If you can get a pull-up bar at home then all you need is some space and a few kettlebells.

For an adult man, the usual recommended starting KB is the 35lb/16kg. This is heavy enough to give proper resistance for swings, clean and presses, KB squats, and turkish get-ups. I use "Enter the Kettlebell" and found it to be an excellent resource, though it is a bit poorly layed out with a lot of self-inflating hyperbole you have to wade through. KB swings are a GREAT exercise that can sorta duplicate the effects of the squat and deadlift. KB presses can replace the bench and dumbbell work. All you need is a pull-up bar and you are GTG.

For your son, a lighter KB in the 20-25 pound range might be better, depending on how big he actually is. If he is man sized, start with the 35 pounder. DO NOT try to snatch (look it up, it is the main KB exercise), that is an advanced exercise for when you are comfortable with handling the KB. Don't go cheap on the KB either. You need one that has a smooth handle that won't rip your hands (much) but is large enough for two hands. You don't have to drop hundreds on one, but some rusty garage sale find might not work either.

Anyway, eventually you will outgrow the 35 pounder. I think a good KB "stable" for a man is 35, 45, 53 pounds. With possibly a second 35 pounder for double swings. All in all, they are very economical and space efficient for the workouts they enable.

3. silentpoet

silentpoet

Get a good quality olympic bar and plates. I have a hampton at home and it is reasonably stout with good knurling, but any quality bar will be good. I also have a iron mind buffalo bar, but not used as much so it is a much later purchase if at all. A quality power rack. An adjustable bench. Dumbbell handles for standard plates and some plates for them. A cable/lat pull down set up and some variety of handles. Also a chin up/dip bar set up. I also have some grip stuff, you can start with spring clamps from a hardware store.

4. Restless28

Restless28

Kept it simple tonight.

3 sets each:

10 minutes treadmill
    Machine incline press (my heaviest weight yet)
    Machine row (also heavy)
    Leg press (heavy)
    Machine overhead press (heavy)
    Crunch machine
    Pull-ups

My son is also noticeably stronger. I'm for cutting out small movements. I also met an old friend tonight and had a good talk on food and the roid junkies that frequent the place.

I'm still thinking home gym in the future.

5. fusegsp

fusegsp

I must've gotten very lucky then. I lost fifty pounds in 12 weeks doing nothing but running / walking. I'm no sprinter either. It took me 52-60 minutes to do six miles. I'd run for a minute and then walk for a minute.

6. Restless28

Restless28

As of today, my son has lost 11 pounds. I can see the difference and he is getting stronger. I think his confidence is increasing now too.

I'm holding steady at 155, but I'm close to benching my body weight now on the incline. My frame likes 155, I suppose. I'm pretty lean, but I can do better.

So, we are going to increase cardio time and events, and do simple movements. I think if he builds muscle while losing weight, that he will look better.

7. ninjarobotpirate

ninjarobotpirate

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

8. muscogee

muscogee

This would be good for shaping up, but if weight loss is your goal, I would do 1.5 hours of cardio three times per week and the workout you described two days per week. I developed heart trouble 4 years ago and the doctor said I had to lose weight or I would need bypass surgery. I started riding a bicycle outdoors three days per week and lifting weights two days. I lost 55 pounds and kept it off. I ride outdoors because stationary bicycles hurt my back after twenty minutes. On stationary bicycles you stay in the same position. Riding outside, you're constantly shifting positions so it puts less strain on the back and gives a better whole body workout. Bicycle riding doesn't do much for your core, chest, back, or biceps. That's why I lift weights.

As for the routine, If you choose to ride a bicycle for the cardio, you can drop the leg exercises because the legs will get all the workout they can take. If you choose not to ride, 1.5 hours on the rowing machine would work. Of course, you won't be able to do that initially. It may take a year to get there. My problem with indoor cardio is that it's monotonous and I easily lose interest.

When lifting weights I avoid eccentric exercises like the rear overhead press. That's not the way your joints are designed to move and can cause damage. I don't do any overhead presses because I have impingement in both shoulders from lifting heavy things over my head too long. A gym owner's goal is to get you to come to the gym. Most of them are young men who haven't torn up their bodies by lifting too much for too long. The gyms I attended did more harm to my body than good.

9. muscogee

muscogee

Weight loss has to do with heart rate. Doing long slow exercises burns fat. Short burst of intense exercise burns all the sugar and you have to rest until the body can break down some fat into sugar before doing another exercise. That's why you do intervals.

Short intense bursts are good for bulking up, but maximum fat burn happens at 80% of your maximum heart rate. Keeping your heart rate at 80% for 1.5 hours will burn more fat than getting the heart rate to max then letting it drop back to normal until your body can convert some more fat to sugar.

I've seen many fat competitive weight lifters. I have never seen a fat competitive bicycle rider. Something like cardio kick boxing would work as well and increase flexibility.

10. muscogee

muscogee

Use free weights. Preferably dumbbells and a low bench so you will be able to lay the weights down rather than dropping them or hurting yourself by trying to lay them down gently by getting into an unnatural position when you're exhausted.

I avoid machines because they restrict your movement. The human body isn't designed to exercise on a machine. It's designed to run, use tools and weapons, carry food and essential supplies, and do other things necessary to survive in the wild. You're less likely to hurt yourself if you stick to moving the way your body is designed to move.

11. muscogee

muscogee

This.

12. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Were you running or jogging? Sounds like you were doing intervals.

13. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Weight loss has to do with burning more fuel (calories) than you consume.

Too many folks concentrate on weight loss rather than body composition.

They exercise to lose weight but incorporate weight lifting, which builds muscle, then wonder why they are not losing enough weight. Yet, their waist is smaller, chest is larger, they feel better and all. Still, they quit.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  14. ScottMn

ScottMn

I agree with the large muscle group exercises two days a week and cardio two days.

Something to remember that losing weight and getting in shape come with lifestyle choices as much as the workouts themselves. Diet is the obvious thing to change but there are other much more important changes that can be made. Be ACTIVE. Wash the car by hand rather than sit in it at the car wash. Push mow the yard. Start a garden and get out every day to tend it. Bike to the store if you can. Sports are great...try a local softball or baseball team...low impact and fun. Do things by hand whenever possible and don't sit in front of a computer or video game. In other words, make it a point to be moving as much as you can during the day.

You also need to stretch or flex out. This is as important as anything else that you do to prevent injury and "feel good" at the end of the day.

15. Restless28

Restless28

We've been at it for almost 8 weeks now. We are both stronger and, despite the scales not changing, I can see the physical changes and confidence in my son. He's now incline pressing 115 for reps. That's a huge improvement. He can machine row 110 for reps and pull down for 115. We began squats with the bar only this week, and we are going to attack our diet for next month. No more beer for me, and a lot less grains for us both.

I'm now incline pressing 155 (my weight) for reps, rowing 130, and pulling down 145.

We have stepped up the cardio to 10-15 minutes each time, too.

We have cut out the small movements. It's just incline press, row, pulldowns, machine crunch, overhead press and squats.

Wish us luck!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  16. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Great advise here.

17. Jakestir

Jakestir Rah

If I could suggest one thing it would be to go 4 days a week. That way you can do 2 days of upper body and two days of lower body. This helps shorten the lifts. Also don't forget a good core workout. If you really want to get crazy throw a 5th day in with agility and full body stuff. Ex.. pull ups, box jumps, kettle bells

As you and your son get stronger I would sugest basing your lifts around 2 majors lifts each day. For example on my upper body day my 2 big lifts are hang cleans and bench. On my lower body days they are squat and dead lift.

Wish you guys luck and feel free to PM if you want a workout plan.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013