workout problem.....becoming too disproportionate

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flakxd, Oct 29, 2010.

1. flakxd

flakxd

I recently began working out, but I'm finding that my arms are getting bigger than the rest of my body. I'm mainly concerned about getting my chest, stomach, and core up to par with my arms and legs. I find that all the chest exercises I do, work my arms too much (push-ups, bench, butterfly, etc). Does anyone have a suggestion to get my chest more developed without my arms getting much bigger. thanks

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

No there not.

I am not calling you a liar, I am telling you it isnt a problem. Under natural conditions, no ones arms are "too big"

Seriously, unless you have 17 inch arms or better and a 36 inch chest or less, you dont have a problem. It is next to impossible that you "just began" and have arms that size at a reasonable body fat %.

BTW, if your chest is lagging....squat.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Rabbi's probably right.

Also, as a corollary, the answer to any question that involves any lagging body parts should be "squat".

And stop doing stupid isolation exercises unless you're rehabbing something.

4. flakxd

flakxd

OK I'm sorry, but both of your posts confuse me. If you could clarify that would be great.

I'm not saying I have huge Hulk Hogan arms by any means. I've always had pretty good sized arms, even though I've never really worked out in the past. Now that I have been working out, I'm noticing them get bigger, and I'm becoming disproportionate. I look in the mirror and my arms and legs look solid and muscular, but then I have a bird-chest, lol. The only chest exercises I know (previously mentioned) also workout my arms a great deal. What exactly are the "stupid isolation workouts" you are referring to eyescream? how can I workout my chest without doing stupid isolation workouts? and I didn't say that i 'just began', i said "recently". and it is a problem as I am disproportionate with my bird chest. Also, how will squatting help my chest? remember, I'm still a noob when it comes to workouts, machines, and terms......please use basic terms. Thanks

5. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

This. And I would train more with incline than flat when you do chest exercises. Flat is hell on your shoulders. Also, if youre "working your arms too much" on chest exercises, youre doing them wrong

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Concentrate on the compound lifts. Bench, squat, deadlift, press, and power clean. You're getting a "disproportionate physique" because you're exercising body parts instead of training movements that incorporate groups of body parts working together.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. flakxd

flakxd

ok, thanks. I'm scared to do things like deadlift and power clean because I don't want to hurt my back, and I have bad knees and shoulders. what do you mean by press? and as far as benchpress goes, is a straight bar horizontal bench the best? I usually do the dumbell bench.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It depends. Some people use both. Deadlifting and power cleans are only as dangerous an exercise as you make them by not having good form.

When we say "press" we are talking about a standing overhead press. Some people call it a "military press". DO NOT press behind your head, especially since you already have bad shoulders.

Buy this book. There is a DVD that you can also buy that helps explain the exercises if you still have questions after reading the book.

This'll help you more than anything anybody on this messageboard can tell you.

9. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

Can I ask how old you are that you have bad knees and shoulders? By press he means military/shoulder presses. If you have bad shoulders stay away from flat/horizontal bench press, do incline movements.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

One extra thing: My left knee is garbage, and the best it feels all week are the night of and the days following my squat/bench press day.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Clear your mind, lift big. Eat Big. Sleep big.

Squat
    Deadlift
    Military press
    Bench
    Chins/pull ups.

Do that and eat clean and right and you will grow in the manner your body will allow. Everyone has their strong and weak body parts.

12. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

Another thing is your diet and nutrition. All that time you spend training is worthless if your not feeding your body what it needs to recover and grow

13. flakxd

flakxd

I'm 23. My shoulders are hereditarily bad (father and grandfather have horrible shoulders, it runs in the family). I didn't mean to say bad knee(s), but bad knee. I've had multiple surgeries on one of my knees, had several freak accidents.

and not knowing the proper form is part of my problem. Since I'm new to working out, I don't know the proper techniques to much of what I'm doing, so I stick to the simple things and try to use common sense. Maintain good posture, don't sway or rock, go slowly, no jerky movements, etc.

VA, the incline stuff (along with dips) are what kill my shoulders. even when I do light weight, anything incline or over the head is extremely difficult for me. I don't have much problem with the flat bench stuff.

14. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

The red is good. Slow and controlled is the best way to train IMO. The book linked earlier is good to read and use. What type of shoulder issues are they? I would avoid dips too, regardless if you had bad shoulders or not.

15. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Stop going to the gym and doing all of those worthless moves that really do nothing for you. Working out is great but if you have no knowlwdge or goals then you are wasting your time. Find a Crossfit gym and check it out. You will have to swallow your pride when girls are doing workouts with the same amount of weight as you and beating you. But stick with it and it may be what you need.

TONS of Crossfit videos here
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Crossfit Fran workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ27XzR3HJc&feature=related

MF

16. Conan1

Conan1

I have the same problems at age 53. Having had 2 discs removed, a bad left knee, and carpal tunnel in my right wrist, its hard to use free weights. I recently joined a Total Fitness Gym and work out on the isolation machines. The lower back and ab machine are awesome. I started with 60# 2 months ago and am now at 125# and 50+ reps each. I can tell a big difference all over. Keep it up.

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i have the same problem between 12 ounce curls and wind sprints to the fridge ive gotten a grotesquely over developed abdominal regeon.

18. Just1More

Just1More

All that bulk will be fat someday. Aim to be lean.

19. BradD

BradD

Amen brothers. People who do Starting Strength and similar programs don't have problems such as this.

20. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Crossfit's a good idea, too; and P90X. There are a whole bunch of ways to skin this cat.

Machines are excellent for rehabbing injuries like this. Good for you to get it done.

:highfive: