close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Working With Lots of Files

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JJohnson, Feb 5, 2006.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I have been going through my music collection which tops out at over 10,000+ mp3's mp4's AAC's etc.

Whenever I try and do sorts through Windows explorer by artist, title, etc, there willbe a pause upwards of 20-45 seconds at times.

I am running a P3 1ghz Intel with 512mb RAM. Short of a major hardware upgrade, can anyone suggest a utility or something to help with the manipulation of these files that wont lock up my machie? Specifically, I am working on updating Artist/Title/Album data on each MP3.

Thanks

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Try MediaMonkey.

This is the most powerful, yet most robust music manager that I have found. You'll need the Winamp plugins to allow MediaMonkey to manage AAC and MP4 files. Do some searches on MediaMonkey here to read my posts extolling its benefits.

They also have a very active forum where support and enhancement requests are handled very quickly.

Joey

3. astrolux

astrolux

are you trying to change the actual file name or just what shows up in your playlist?

if it's just the playlist, try itunes. if you prefer to stay away from mac products, try musicmatch.

if you're trying to change the actual file name, i'm not sure what to recommend. keep in mind, 10000 mp3's is roughly 40GB. if that is most of your hard drive space, you are going to see slow speeds especially if you have a bunch of other stuff on your computer and your hard drive is relatively small.

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

help, general maintenance suggestions that may well apply..

but as a person who managed to accumulate much music, yes, you need a hardware upgrade.

tisn't the processor, ram isn't bad but might be tweaked a bit higher..

but the issue is more FSB and ram SPEED.. and dedicated access to ONE hard drive that does nothing else, ..

in other words, you can have a very efficient system, by doing it with better machinery and better organization..

or you can tweak this one slightly with code & maintenance. but essentially you're close to the load limit for convenience.

now, all sorts of ways to cheap on hardware, and using old equipment isn't wrong, and upgrade is cheaper'n replace, blah blah blah.

but: with a 1 gig at the core? get a computer.. and you are VERY SMART if you build it yourself. and don't, fahgawdsakes, build cutting edge.

what you want is HEAVY DUTY..6 months old tech.. industrial strength never break good stuff, on sale for half price. the big ugly strong good rep good warranty thang, but last seasons model.

you get extreme quality, overbuilt, and cheap too. do that.

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

iTunes and MusicMatch can both handle that many files, but not quickly nor efficiently. It is painful to try to do anything on my collection in iTunes or MusicMatch. Not to beat a dead horse, but MediaMonkey handles the 7700 MP3s and OGGs without a hiccup. The initial scan of your hard drive will take a while, but once the database is created, searching, renaming, tagging, re-organizing (moving to folders according to genre, artist, album, etc.) is as fast as could be expected.

6. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I love media monkey! Thanks to all!

7. Blue59

Blue59

The problem is that every time you make a change, Windows (and the software you may be using) tries to re-detect the file info on all the files in that directory, and that takes a while. This will happen when you have lots and lots of any type of file in one directory in Windows (and probably other OS's as well).

The only real solution is to not put that many files into one directory--organize your files. Such as--one for each letter of the alphabet, and another for numeric artist names. Most decent media-player programs can index the parent directory, which still allows you to do searches and compose playlists across all files in any sub-directiry in the specfied directory.

The other problem is that some media-buying programs don't give you an option for saving files into sorted folders; they just dump all the stuff into one directory.
    ~