close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Working OUt & Sleep

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P15T, Jan 4, 2013.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Looking for some good information from the work-out folks of GT.

Every time I get serious about my exercise, which usually consists of about 45-50 minutes of cardio and 25-30 minutes of lifting, I start sleeping less and less.

I normally sleep a healthy 8+ hours a night of blissful and peaceful sleep. But when I start hitting the gym hard, my sleep starts getting harder and harder to come by.

Last night I hit the sack at 9PM, and woke at 3:30 AM, follwing a night of some serious nightmares. This is after about 5 days of working out.

WTH? How do I stop this? How do I get to both work out, and get good, restful sleep?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Viper16

Viper16

weird...its like the opposite effect on me.

What time do you go working out usually?
    When do you last eat something before bed?
    Do you eat after working out?
    Are you well hydrated before bed?

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Which is what I would expect. It only makes sense.

And it's very consistent. Every damn time I really get on it, lack of sleep just kills the momentum I'm building with my over-all health.

4. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

When do you normally exercise, at night or in the morning? If at night, either try it in the morning or earlier than normal.

5. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I have a tough time getting to sleep if I work out in the evening or late afternoon. No problems if I work out in the morning, so I work out in th morning.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Morning. I work out in the morning. There's this one particular girl half my age that is such a vision, she makes me more motivated, and I work harder.:rofl::rofl:

This morning I did two loads of laundry, hit the gym like a whirl-wind of Arnold proportions, ate twice, cleaned my apartment a bit, and still got to work at 9AM.

But I'm tired and pissed-off, for absolutely no reason...except my lack of sleep.

Maybe my bed sucks? And it makes the muscle soreness wake me up earlier?

And when I wake up, I mean I really wake up. Energy that is just epic. I try to fall back to sleep, but it just won't happen.

7. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

....the story of my life. I've worked out religiously since I was 19, I'm 24 now and it still has not gone away. I just learned to deal with it. I know this post won't help you remedy the issue, just letting you know you're not the only one.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Right, but I'm 20 years older than you. I need my friggin' sleep to perform well at work.

I feel the additional energy, more drive to perform better in all things in my life, but I need my damn sleep!!!!!!

I'm having some beers right now, in hopes I will sleep in a bit longer tomorrow morning. I doubt it will help.

9. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Could be the bed, but maybe try exercising later in the day and/or do less than you normally do (like half your normal workout).

Just spit-balling though.

Could just be your body thinks you're meant to be a couch spud.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

sorry..

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Living healthy is a marathon, not a sprint

If you're working out so hard it is having an effect on your attitude, your sleep, etc.. you are not treating your body right and you need to pace yourself.

This is a pretty common thing w/ the "resolutionists" that I see at the gym every year this time. They decide they want to get in shape on 1/1, then they go to the gym, and after not working out all year, they try to do 20 miles on a treadmill.

Then they're gone by the beginning of end of Feb/Beginning of March

IGF

12. CAcop

CAcop

If you are doing it in the morning it shouldn't be a problem. Supposedly if you work out w/i 3 hours of bed time it can cause problems. Maybe you need to try doing your work outs at night.

13. Ian Moone

Ian Moone

I think it is the young lady keeping you awake and not the workout.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

When I was young, I played tennis from 3-8 hours a day, plus loads of biking. I had a major growth spurt at 18, when I finally backed-off playing tennis so much. I grew several inches in less than a year. I used to be able to run a 5 minute mile.

Then the injuries piled-up, knee injury after knee-injury, so I'm focusing on re-building my health towards being able to play tennis to lose weight. I weigh 240 lbs right now, but when I graduated H.S., I weighed 125 lbs. I'm so far over my natural, normal weight, it's sad.

No way I can be a couch-spud. It's just not my normal state. I'm a severe Type A personality, and I think it causes me to push too hard. I really enjoy the gym, I could work-out for hours if I didn't watch the clock to stop myself from doing too much. This morning I set a hard 60 minute limit, and only went a bit over that.

Is that it? Am I pushing too hard?

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Good lord I'm making a lot of mistakes today..lol.

Wrong thread, sorry.

16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

She is so smoking hot, it is the best motivation.:supergrin::supergrin:

Oh, to be in my 20s again.

17. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It generally has the exact opposite effect on people. Of course the first question is "when" and you might want to change the time.

I would offer this. When people start to excesice they also tend to make some other lifestyle changes. I would take inventory of those as well. That includes other schedule changes, diet changes and supplement changes. It could very well be what you are eating now or supplementing with.

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm trying to limit myself to 60 minutes. I'm hoping that will help.

19. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

As far as suppliments go, I only use some vita-paks from GNC, and only every 3 days or so. I drink O.J. the other days to keep my immune system good.

My diet only changes in that I am no wheres near as hungry when I'm hitting the gym hard. If I could keep that up for a few moths, I'm sure the weight would just drop off like water, but the lack of sleep just kills me.

This isn't anything new, this happens every time I start getting serious about my health. Then I crash for a few days and lose my momentum. I really, really do not want to lose my momentum this time.

20. CAcop

CAcop

An alternative that might help is to do something like day hiking on the weekends. Before my wife and I had our kid we would go on long hikes with a hiking club. 6-9 miles in 3-6 hours depending on the terrain. Even though it was only once a week it helped during the week when I only had time for 30-60 minutes.