Working on powerplants

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sinister Angel, May 3, 2005.

1. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

What all does it take to work on aircraft powerplants? I know that you have to get training from the company, but do you have to be certified by the FAA or any other organizations as well? Can you just work on the power plants with out having to know how to work on the airframe, electrical, etc?

Reason I ask is because I thought it would be kind of nice to get certified and work on the Centurion powerplants when they make their way to the North American market. I figure it's a diesel, and since I have some background with diesels, that this wouldn't be such a far step from what I've worked on in the past.

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

In order to work on them you'll need some wrenches and a socket set, plus some other tools.

If you want to sign off on the repairs you'll need an A&P.

3. crazydave

crazydave

You only need a 'P' to work on aircraft powerplants. You will need someone with a A&P to vouch that you have 18 month experience for one of the ratings or 30 months for the Airframe and Powerplant, take 3 written test, an oral test, then a practical. If you pass you get the ratings. If you want just a 'P' then it is just 2 of each test. You can also go to a recognised school and get them in about 18-24 months fulltime. Your past experience will only help you in knowledge. The FAA wants aviation history to count toward the ratings.

Dave

4. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Hmm. Thanks for the info. So I'm assuming they would be requiring knowledge of all powerplants then? Because what I would be interested in is just working on the Centurian, or any other diesel plants that come out in the future.

5. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

Affirmative. You would be required to have general knowledge of all aircraft powerplant types to acquire a powerplant mechanic certificate.

6. crazydave

crazydave

You also have to pass a 'General' test. It covers a lot of the basic aircraft knowledge, so you do have to the general workings of the airframe. Go and buy the ASA Books for the Genaeral and the Powerplant. It gives you all the info you need to pass the test.

Dave