close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Working Graveyard

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by C.Smith, Jan 11, 2010.

1. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

Well I'm working graveyard for the first time in my 8 year carreer other than my one month in FTO. I just started last week. I'm wondering if any of you guys/gals that have been at it a while are taking any suppliments that help the body with working graveyard? I have not really had too many issues sleeping yet.

Corey

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I wouldn't take anything unless you had to. One thing that really helps is to eat right and keep exercising. One the late night hours hit, it is hard to find places to eat that are somewhat healthy. Sure, you have Denny's, IHOP, etc., but eating right will pay off.

I also installed room darkening curtains in my bedroom to help me sleep.

3. C.Smith

Great advise thanks. There is surely nothing good to eat while out. I'm really trying to pack lunch and snacks to eat.

Corey

4. blueiron

blueiron

Make your bedroom as dark as possible and use earplugs if it is noisy in your neighborhood. Shut off the telephone during your 'night'.

Get into a routine and follow it, even when off duty. I did my homework in the middle of the night when I was working on my undergrad.

Try to schedule court appearances for first thing in the morning or late in the day to minimize sleep disruption.

5. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I don't drink coffee, but Mountain Dew helps.
    Then I have dinner at 1730 or 1800 and sleep with the kids by 1900.
    I get up by 2215 and start at 2300 to 0700. Home at 0730 I sleep until noon or even 1300.
    I am lucky that I live remote and there is no noise beside weekends sucks: No school for the kids ......

6. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

I've never worked anything but that shift since I started. I find it OK to deal with health wise if you keep you body on the same clock all week and don't try to do to much in the traditional hours.

7. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Don't take any scripts or supplements unless it becomes medically necessary. Just get good blackout blinds and try to treat your sleep hours just like you used to. Don't try to wake up to early to "get things done during normal hours" and nap later. Obviously kids complicate that often times and it may not be possible.

8. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

Black-out curtains are a must. I found a "sunrise" alarm clock helped a lot. Finally, melatonin supplment for a day or two if the sleep schedule got so totally out of whack and I couldn't get good rest.

9. C.Smith

You get to do that? Wow, that would be great. Most of the court I will have will be between 0900 and 1100 hours in the morning. Got to love our court stystem.

This is all great advised thank you.

Corey

10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Take your time adjusting, black out curtains or blinds. White noise helps me out quite a bit, and air circulation in the room. Don't drink anything with alcohol right before bed, as it can disrupt sleep, watch your caffeine and salt intake, and use meditation techniques. Exercise during the more wakeful hours for you to help you sleep during your off duty hours.

11. HuntingGuy

HuntingGuy Show me 10-8.

I'm in the same boat. It will take some getting used to.

12. Morris

Morris CLM

Try mandatory rotating between days to nights and back every four months . . . plays hell on the sleep cycle. Sad part is that I always see weight gain issues working nights so I have to work harder to keep it shaved off.

13. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview

Besides the stuff mentioned I take a multivitamin everyday and take vitamin D when I get up and before bed. The lack of sunlight causes the body to produce less of it.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Our union went to the dept and the city court and worked it out. Day shift goes to court at any time, the night crew gets first shot in the mornings and the afternoon folks can appear after 1000. It helps out with the shift work, family, schooling, etc.

It doesn't always work out, but it minimizes the headaches.

15. C.Smith

Wow, thats nice. I wish our union had more back bone. Oh well.

Corey

16. blueiron

blueiron

Go to them and use it as a non-monetary incentive. Sell it to the dep't. as a way to minimize court no shows, improve morale, and as a benefit that costs the government and the taxpayers nothing. Sell it to the court as a way to expedite hearings, to minimize conflicts, and hold down officer no shows. The prosecutor should be happy about it as well.

17. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

I worked midnights for about 7 years. Try to stay on your schedule even on your days off. Switching back and forth will mess you up the most. Really watch what you eat.

18. B Coyote

B Coyote

This. I put aluminum foil over my windows, and run a fan to create white noise.

bc

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I did a long stint on graves... 6 day 10 hours because of manpower shortages... and pulled 13 days in a row once on graves, 10 hours... almost died because my body was nearing collapse.

I tried to cut down on fatty foods, just made me too sleepy and felt heavy, which interfered with my readiness for action. I snacked on energy bars, snackwells, you know, little things, to keep my metabolism going but without the heavy, greasy feel of fast food or Denny's.

Now home life is the tough part... make sure your family and friends are onboard. Tell them to not disturb you during your "night" unless absolutely necessary. I got a few calls from mom just seeing what's up... and I tell her... stop... you're killing me.

Unfortunately, I can't turn off my phone because I have side businesses so it's a necessary evil but my people handle 95% of the stuff so I hardly get disturbed, it's the family and friends that'll get you.

Go home straight, no errands, no more time in the sun than you have to, no eating, no smoking, nothing that may interfere with your fatigue which drives your sleep urge and fight the instinct to be awake during the day.

Court is a necessary evil. There's no helping that. Our graves end at 0900. Court starts at 0830. There's also usually no afternoon calendar except for cases that dragged on. At least that helped on that end.

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I put aluminum foil on my head and sleep in a lead vault to stop the noises in my head.:whistling: