GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
42,567 Posts
It's both, and more. Bt limits what they sell, creating an artificial shortage that drives the demand.
You are mistaken. They limit what they create. 6-8 thousand bottles/yr of Pappy is selling like wildfire right now and they are increasing to 15k bottles/year but don't want to overcommit to a market that is based on what's fashionable at the time. Same thing with Blanton's. You gotta remember that they are making decisions on what will happen a decade or more for now because of the aging process.

People want what they can't have. And alot of the blame is with the customers, who buy it, then resell it on the secondary market.
Not BT's fault and full of people who could do a little research and get the same mash bill from the same factory for much less if they really like the taste.

I'm not ok with the owners lying, so please don't think I am. But they get maybe six bottles of blantonstwo or three times a year. ( If that is true, can't say.)
And they are the one's holding it back. Not BT. BT puts out all that is ready for each year.

Do they sell it to the customer who buys thousands of dollars worth of booze from them, or the random shmuck who has never been in the store before? Especially considering that the new guy might just resell that bottle on a facebook group the same day, doubling his money. Also, the people asking for it are almost always new to bourbon, and just want bt. They usually leave without even considering other brands.
That's the same everywhere. And if I'm a store owner I would like to get it into the hands of good customers who want to drink it rather than facebook/craigsliste flippers. So you seem to see the point.

So my solution is to not play that game. I won't buy it, and I'll try to steer people into bourbons made by other companies.
Anyway, that's how the bt game is played, and not just in one store. It's like that everywhere. So instead of getting hung up on it, try something else. Tons of great bourbon out there, almost all good in their own way.
I don't buy it. I'm not a wheated bourbon guy so Pappy, Weller, etc.. aren't on my list anyway. I have a bottle of Blanton's and it will last a long time because I can just get a bottle of Ancient Age 10 star for $25 and enjoy the same mash bill from the same factory.

My point is that you are putting the blame and penalty on Buffalo Trace. It doesn't belong there and there are a couple dozen other Bourbons they make that people should continue to enjoy.

Saying to boycott all of Buffalo Trace products because your employer holds back bottles of something that Buffalo Trace can't/won't risk making fast enough to meet today's demand is not the right way to go.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
You are mistaken. They limit what they create. 6-8 thousand bottles/yr of Pappy is selling like wildfire right now and they are increasing to 15k bottles/year but don't want to overcommit to a market that is based on what's fashionable at the time. Same thing with Blanton's. You gotta remember that they are making decisions on what will happen a decade or more for now because of the aging process.

Not BT's fault and full of people who could do a little research and get the same mash bill from the same factory for much less if they really like the taste.

And they are the one's holding it back. Not BT. BT puts out all that is ready for each year.

That's the same everywhere. And if I'm a store owner I would like to get it into the hands of good customers who want to drink it rather than facebook/craigsliste flippers. So you seem to see the point.

I don't buy it. I'm not a wheated bourbon guy so Pappy, Weller, Eagle Rare, etc.. aren't on my list anyway. I have a bottle of Blanton's and it will last a long time because I can just get a bottle of Ancient Age 10 star for $25 and enjoy the same mash bill from the same factory.

My point is that you are putting the blame and penalty on Buffalo Trace. It doesn't belong there and there are a couple dozen other Bourbons they make that people should continue to enjoy.

Saying to boycott all of Buffalo Trace products because your employer holds back bottles of something that Buffalo Trace can't/won't risk making fast enough to meet today's demand is not the right way to go.
It's not a boycott. I just choose to not buy their products. And I try to help my customers get a bourbon they can buy and enjoy, and at a good price. The bt products just are not available here. I know that other states are different. The only bt products in Ohio that are available right now are Weller special reserve, and I'm not a fan. And benchmark, but that sells out fast.
The ancient age 10 used to be very good, but now it's aged less than three years and it shows.
You are right about the future being uncertain. The bourbon boom won't last forever.

·
Registered
42,567 Posts
It's not a boycott. I just choose to not buy their products.
o_O

And I try to help my customers get a bourbon they can buy and enjoy, and at a good price. The bt products just are not available here. I know that other states are different. The only bt products in Ohio that are available right now are Weller special reserve, and I'm not a fan. And benchmark, but that sells out fast.
The ancient age 10 used to be very good, but now it's aged less than three years and it shows.
You are right about the future being uncertain. The bourbon boom won't last forever.
I'd be shocked to find that things like Ancient Age(shelves are full of $11 bottles here) aren't available or the Benchmark 8 sells fast.
BT has a lot of offerings.
bb08b31cf2d6a814603423b6b8f46472 (1).jpg

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,251 Posts
Get some McAfee Benchmark Old No 8 and put it in a fancy bottle. The fancier the better and serve that at some sort of snooty bourbon party.
Take it to another level. Put in some scotch. :drink:
upload_2020-11-25_13-2-7.png

Reactions: ChiliRacer

·
Wolverine
9,063 Posts
A little OT but I was talking to a gal last week who works in a local small town general store that sells liquor. Their liquor sales have gone up 70% since the pandemic hit. Has the OP seen that too?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I didn't do this until recently, but the people who I work with say sales are crazy compared to normal. We are selling a ton of everything. Tito's vodka is our number 1 item. Then lots of vodka, and whiskey. Little bit of the others like gin tequila and run. Some beer, but mostly craft.

·
Registered
42,567 Posts
Reactions: Out West and 61176

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

·
Registered
42,567 Posts
Swill. I only drink double eagle very rare. ;)
I just keep good friends and provide good fellowship so I can try all their stuff.
IMG_20201121_170304.jpg

·
Come on man!!
14,699 Posts
I can't handle dark liquor anymore as it makes my jayjay queef. But back before dark liqour caused me massive heartburn I thought every bourbon out there tasted like what I suspect paint thinner would taste like. The only one I ever liked was Jack Daniels with some Coke, but even then, it wasn't something I would order.

I'm a vodka guy, but I still hate commies.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I can't handle dark liquor anymore as it makes my jayjay queef. But back before dark liqour caused me massive heartburn I thought every bourbon out there tasted like what I suspect paint thinner would taste like. The only one I ever liked was Jack Daniels with some Coke, but even then, it wasn't something I would order.

I'm a vodka guy, but I still hate commies.
Technically, jack isn't bourbon. It's Tennessee sippin whiskey. Really not much different. ;)
You can get made in usa vodka.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Always liked the drink kit Bertram Chandler equipped spaceship captain John Grimes with.
To save space and weight he had a little case containing a bottle of 190 alcohol and a row of little phials with whiskey, brandy, etc. flavors; adjust to suit with life support system recycled water.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,598 Posts
Mostly agree but I have to say, I have access to Pappy 23 all the time.

A shot of that mixed with diet sprite is a rare treat.

If I'm out of the Sprite, I'll throw some Fireball in the Pappy, it's a great sipper.
You are putting me on, right? Sprite/Fireball in the nearly unobtainable Pappy!!!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

·
Gringo Viejo
28,733 Posts
The one I want to try but can't find us vat 69. That's what Nixon drank in band of brothers.
Only the finest for Ma Nixon's baby boy.
You can't find Black and White Scotch anymore either. tom. :dunno:

·
Registered
42,567 Posts
Speaking of Bourbons coming and going....what was the Bourbon to have as far as mainstream popularity when you were 'of age' or near abouts. It seems like my late 80's into the early 90's was Wild Turkey for the party scene with Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's in there closely. I have no idea what the guys in the 70's were after.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Speaking of Bourbons coming and going....what was the Bourbon to have as far as mainstream popularity when you were 'of age' or near abouts. It seems like my late 80's into the early 90's was Wild Turkey for the party scene with Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's in there closely. I have no idea what the guys in the 70's were after.
Middle 1990’s for me and it was the same big three. I liked Jim Beam and didn’t like the other two. The local bootlegger that would sell to me at that age also kept Early Times for cheap. I drank a lot of that. I rarely drink now.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts