GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
I've long wanted to see a blind taste-test of people who like Scotch, but aren't true connoisseurs- people who don't get too deep in the weeds about flavor notes, and "hints of this and that" and maturation times, etc.

I'd be very interested to see, for instance, how Macallan 12 yr, 15, 18, 25, all the way up to 30 yr rate. See if Joe Average really can tell THAT much of a difference between a $50 bottle and a $4,000 bottle. :wow:

Someone once told me anything past 18 yr is mostly bragging rights. Be interesting to see it put to the test...
There is a HUGE difference n Scotch. Back when blends were the thing, not so much. But with the single malt stuff, double barrel, Highland, lowland, Isle.... I have never gotten to the point of 30-50 years old, vs. younger, but I think it is a matter of making it MORE of what it is.

Or to put it a different way....
I found a scotch which was low/no smoke, bourbon like but 1000% more complex. Try as might, I can't remember what it is and have not been able to rediscover. Maybe I had something that was 25 years old and ....

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,699 Posts
Save that empty bottle....refill it with an affordable bourbon. Try not to laugh out loud when your visiting friends rave about your good taste in bourbon.

While still in the Army, I had a Chivas Regal scotch bottle that I refilled with the "Military Special" scotch from the class 6 store for years. It never failed to draw compliments from my house guests.
That's Hard Core...

·
Huge Member
11,067 Posts
It's been said that after one or two drinks it all tastes the same.

Having said that...I am not a whiskey snob but I can't drink Evan Williams. I tried it based on recommendations here and other places. Sorry, just not very good bourbon.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Good morning GT. It's your old pal, Upgrayedd, checking in. I only have three more weeks of working at the liquor store. I'm only in it til Christmas Eve, and after machining all day I'm pretty tired of working the second gig at night. Anyway, I wanted to correct a mistake I made. In my original post, I said nothing was hiding in the back. Turns out that that is not true. I found a half dozen Blantons and eagle rares hidden in an Evan Williams box! I talked to the owners. They say they get a few every few months, but only the top dollar customers get a crack at it. I get it, but I don't like it. So I'm firmly against Buffalo Trace bourbons. It's a dirty game and their marketing is better than their bourbon.
So instead of buying buffalo trace, but wild turkey 101. It's better and cheaper anyway. Instead of buying eagle rare, buy Russel's 10 year. It's better and cheaper anyway. Instead of buying Weller special reserve, buy makers mark or larceny. It's better and only two bucks more. Instead of buying Blantons, buy four roses small batch select. It's better and cheaper anyway. And you can get these bourbons anywhere. I think buffalo trace products are over hyped and over priced. It's a shame that people are willing to lie and fight over bt products. It's like their marketing has brainwashed people.
Besides that, it's been great, having a chance to talk bourbon with the customers and distributors.

·
****** Viejo
28,804 Posts
Save that empty bottle....refill it with an affordable bourbon. Try not to laugh out loud when your visiting friends rave about your good taste in bourbon.

While still in the Army, I had a Chivas Regal scotch bottle that I refilled with the "Military Special" scotch from the class 6 store for years. It never failed to draw compliments from my house guests.
I really like Military Special Scotch. A buddy would pick me up a bottle every month or so when he went to the PX. He passed away a few years ago. I sure do miss him. As far as Bourbon goes, Evan Williams is good enough for me. Bulleit Frontier Rye however tastes great. tom.

·
****** Viejo
28,804 Posts
Just got back from the State Store. I had to wait outside due to limits on people inside. The guard told me the panic buying has started. I think it's just the normal pre-Holiday rush. tom. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I never could get on with bourbon. Except the two summers we drank mint juleps until the hostess moved away from her backyard mint patch. Grocery store mint just didn't cut it.

I rang the changes on Scotch for several years until I concluded that I liked Irish just as well for lower cost and it has been Jamesons ever since. I even put Irish in eggnog instead of bourbon.

There have been some interesting stories about where Costco wine and liquor come from. Much of it pretty good stuff from name brands under a Kirkland label.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I never could get on with bourbon. Except the two summers we drank mint juleps until the hostess moved away from her backyard mint patch. Grocery store mint just didn't cut it.

I rang the changes on Scotch for several years until I concluded that I liked Irish just as well for lower cost and it has been Jamesons ever since. I even put Irish in eggnog instead of bourbon.

There have been some interesting stories about where Costco wine and liquor come from. Much of it pretty good stuff from name brands under a Kirkland label.
Certainly don't buy this every day, but you should try it at least once. It's $55.
red_12_720x.jpg

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Just got back from the State Store. I had to wait outside due to limits on people inside. The guard told me the panic buying has started. I think it's just the normal pre-Holiday rush. tom. :dunno:
It's because the bars in pa have been ordered closed for the day by the governor, plus holiday shopping.

·
Registered
42,613 Posts
.... I found a half dozen Blantons and eagle rares hidden in an Evan Williams box! I talked to the owners. They say they get a few every few months, but only the top dollar customers get a crack at it. I get it, but I don't like it. So I'm firmly against Buffalo Trace bourbons. It's a dirty game and their marketing is better than their bourbon...
If you're against the people doing others dirty then you should be against the owners and not BT.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If you're against the people doing others dirty then you should be against the owners and not BT.
It's both, and more. Bt limits what they sell, creating an artificial shortage that drives the demand. People want what they can't have. And alot of the blame is with the customers, who buy it, then resell it on the secondary market.
I'm not ok with the owners lying, so please don't think I am. But they get maybe six bottles of blantonstwo or three times a year. ( If that is true, can't say.)
Do they sell it to the customer who buys thousands of dollars worth of booze from them, or the random shmuck who has never been in the store before? Especially considering that the new guy might just resell that bottle on a facebook group the same day, doubling his money. Also, the people asking for it are almost always new to bourbon, and just want bt. They usually leave without even considering other brands.
So my solution is to not play that game. I won't buy it, and I'll try to steer people into bourbons made by other companies.
Anyway, that's how the bt game is played, and not just in one store. It's like that everywhere. So instead of getting hung up on it, try something else. Tons of great bourbon out there, almost all good in their own way.

·
Banned
263 Posts
I know Sean Connery use to drink a scotch that was $6,000.00 a bottle. Now if you have the money go for it. But I'm not paying Hugh amounts for a bottle of anything. Segrams VO works just fine, on special occasions Jamisons will work.
$6000 for a bottle of scotch, No wonder he was a very good actor. He was probably drunk on camera all the time. lols
I am hook and Jameson for now. If i am celebrating then maybe a $1000 bottle of champagne or scotch but $6000 for a bottle of drunk is a no no.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
And I'm just talking about the cheapest bt products. Do you have any idea how hard it is not to laugh at someone buying a three dollar pint of clearance vodka, while pretending they want a bottle of pappy 23 or something like that?

·
****** Viejo
28,804 Posts
It's because the bars in pa have been ordered closed for the day by the governor, plus holiday shopping.
Wolfie made 5pm today last call for alcohol. Ruined all the college kids Thanksgiving Eve plans. tom. :fist:

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
Registered
423 Posts
Worked as a bartender and re-bottled many a low cost into high cost bottles. NO ONE knew the difference after the second drink!

·
Pinky Out
59,178 Posts
Worked as a bartender and re-bottled many a low cost into high cost bottles. NO ONE knew the difference after the second drink!
So they knew on the first one but forgot after the second?

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
I have noticed watered down or mismatched whiskey before. I won't make a scene, I just leave and go somewhere else. If it's mixed in a drink, I can see not noticing. But if you sip it neat, how can you not tell the difference?

Edit:. If the bartender is friendly, and showing cleavage, I might not notice or care about a bad drink. ;)

61 - 80 of 129 Posts