GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Not sure I understand the system, but is there a way you can dump the ordered information from their system into a CSV or other text form? You could then at least read it manually or import both csv's into a spreadsheet to compare.

Is there a way on their system to expand to more detail?

In a former life as a computer systems guy, I used to write computer scripts to compare various variables and file contents to ensure it was all there and changes were made correctly. Saved me a lot of error-prone eyeball checking and expensive re-dos of system rollouts.

Back then I dreaded changes because I had to both deal with them and take the complaints from my users. Now I only have to deal with my wife's rants when her computer stuff gets changed. I don't have to fix that because I made sure she got a MAC and I refuse to work on them (she has kids for that).

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not sure I understand the system, but is there a way you can dump the ordered information from their system into a CSV or other text form? You could then at least read it manually or import both csv's into a spreadsheet to compare.

Is there a way on their system to expand to more detail?

In a former life as a computer systems guy, I used to write computer scripts to compare various variables and file contents to ensure it was all there and changes were made correctly. Saved me a lot of error-prone eyeball checking and expensive re-dos of system rollouts.

Back then I dreaded changes because I had to both deal with them and take the complaints from my users. Now I only have to deal with my wife's rants when her computer stuff gets changed. I don't have to fix that because I made sure she got a MAC and I refuse to work on them (she has kids for that).
I have no control or input into their system, but they are aware that it drops modification lines.

Anyways, my new plan going forward will be to use the original .CSV file for my checking of the confirmation they send back to me. It's 100% correct, created by my design software, so I know I can rely on it's accuracy.

Back in the days of simple kitchens, without much, if any, modifications, you just checked the confirmation against the floor plan. But with kitchen design evolving, and working in an area where the ceilings tend to be 108" or 120", I'm doing a lot more cabinet modifications.

So I'll be saving the original .CSV file I send over, and then checking the order confirmation against that, rather than the floor plan.

Really, I should have thought of that before.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
MP - what do the cabinets look like... and are you offering free shipping?
Does the manufacturer happen to be Dura ? My wife want to know (cabinet dept manager)
She deals with it daily
Not Dura. Dura Supreme is a nice line, looks fantastic.

The cabinets are nothing anyone could make use of. Heavily modified, very specific.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Working for a large national corporation, it's been my experience that major software changes, being approved so high up the food chain, immediately turn ALL subordinate end users into morons immediately upon deployment.

It couldn't possibly be that the IT Director stepped on his crank by believing the salesman, or that adequate testing wasn't performed. Or that the product is producing unintended consequences because the end users weren't even consulted during design.

Nope, it's because YOU'RE at fault.

·
USN Retired
7,652 Posts
Don't get me started!
Our primary mission is now to be IA compliant. Nevermind that the STANDALONE systems, designed to run on Win XP, now using the mandated WINDOWS TEN, no longer function properly! They are IA compliant and that's OBVIUSLY ALL THAT MATTERS!
THE IA CLOWNS RULE THE WORLD AND SUPERCEDE ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT!
With the death of my wife, in January, shortly followed by all the covid / gubmint overreach BS and election shenanigans, I am nearly alwas on a rant.
My rant fuse is down to about a quarter amp.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,266 Posts
My guess is the data has characters not being correctly delimited, such as commas or apostrophes.

Their system is likely not realizing the true format when they read it in.
A CSV file is defined as using commas as column delimiters. But if they are using an import function they might also consider other characters as column delimiters.

Seems like the system is very open to typo errors.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My wife's company carries 9 different cabinet lines, only Dura uses that system.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts