Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Employers inside of states that are "work for hire" have, among other things, a right to release any employee at any time for any reason (or even without a reason). Correct?

And it doesn't matter if you're a city/county/state employee. Correct?

Are there ever any grey areas, or exceptions? If you're under contract, I know that must be an exception, but is there anything else?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
If you're an "at will" state, you can let somebody go for no reason at all, but you can't let people go for certain specific reasons.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I thought state employees were untouchable everywhere.

I don't think a government-union-tenured teacher (social worker, postal employee, diversity manager, etc) could be fired even in the free states. Maybe paid leave after committing multiple felonies...

·
GoDirectly2Jail
1,909 Posts
Another exception is if the company has a policy that restricts employee terminations in some manner, they must abide by their policy.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Only exception in right to work states is protected status which is race, gender, the standard. Also, any employment contract supercedes the right to work status. Finally in Virginia, you can collect unemployment unless company can prove negligent behavior that went uncorrected despite attempts to do so by the company.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
New world record in confusing "at will" and "right to work" -- great job, GNG denizens!

At Will = employer may release for any legal reason with no notice; employee may leave without notice.

Right to Work = union membership may not be required in order to become employed or hold a position.

My work here is done...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts