close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Work Clothes Issue

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, Apr 30, 2013.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So, I am having this almost unresolvable problem with work.

My employer expects me to dress in a certain manner that would be described as "professional". When I meet with surgeons and executives of large companies, they expect me to wear a suit and tie.

Well,he is my issue. They dont give me money to pay for the clothes that they expect me to wear at work. When a shirt is worn or stained, they expect that I get a new one and show up to work in looking "professional" but yet they wont pay for my work clothes. I mean, if I am wearing a worn our suit, why should they care if they arent paying for it? If I want to wear my acid washed jeans with some extra holes, again, they arent paying for me to have new jeans, so why should they care and get a say so?

Is it too much for me to demand that they pay for the clothes if they expect to have a certain type of clothing and to expect a certain level of maintenance on the clothes? I think, if they want me to wear a suit, they should pay for it and pay for the dry cleaning. I am not being unreasonable, I dont think.

2. mj9mm

mj9mm

can't you deduct the cost at tax time

3. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

But you are joking, I think.

:dunno:

4. harleystyles

harleystyles

Short answer is yes it is too much to demand that.

Long answer is, they are paying you to uphold their image, among other things. It is up to you to decide if you desire continued employment.

5. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

I wouldn't be happy with that scenario if the salary wasn't sufficient to support that type of dress, which can get expensive fast.

For years a friend of mine worked in the financial section of Boston and had a closet full of Italian suits that he had to wear every day, but the salary more or less accommodated that level of expense on his part.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

IRS rules

You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

You must wear them as a condition of your employment.

The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

In theory I agree with you. However my sense is, is that there is a certain income level at which one is expected to provide their own clothes. That is just a guess, as I do not travel in those circles. Perhaps they might meet you halfway and come up with, for instance, some oxford shirts embroidered with the company name and logo. I am led to believe that some marketing people like to see the company name and logo out and about.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am deep in philosophical thought thanks to the Badische Staatsbrauerei

9. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am somewhat partial to Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss logos (and a few others).

10. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Dana, were you ever under the impression when you started working there that they would pay for your clothing? Meaning, did they ever imply they would cover that cost?

11. 220-9er

220-9er

Did you discuss a dress code before you started your job? What is the "usual and customary" attire for your job?
    Normally if you are dealing with professional people you would be expected to dress appropriately in their environment. It would be helpful if you stated what job you are doing. Selling products to doctors would be different than if you are a janitor working around doctors.

12. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Your employer IS paying for your clothes by paying your wage. Yes, you are being unreasonable.

13. Neocon

Neocon

Sorry, you should have known what kind of cloths were required before you signed up. Zero professional people would consider asking for the boss to spring for a stained shirt. You may want to consider trying a less "professional" job. Wore my last tie when I quit sales and became a plumber.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I was going to ask the same thing. Why can't he write it off as tax deductable? I write all my work clothes and dry cleaning off.

15. Harper

Harper

Form a union.

16. 9jeeps

9jeeps

OP If you want to be a slob in a professional Gig become Pharmaceutical Warehouse order picker. Or buy three nice suits six nice shirts some nice ties and clean up your shoes and act and make some real money.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I tried tomwrite off my suits once. My CPA laughed at me. I told him I'd get a patch that said Dennis on my shirt pockets. He told me to get one saying Exit Only for my shorts for when I went to prison. Lol

18. RenoF250

RenoF250

Poop on company time to compensate yourself for it. More expensive clothes - longer poop sessions.

19. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I suspect your job pays enough not to worry about the cost of shirts. Unless the dress code makes you wear Armani.

20. Detectorist

Detectorist

The OP must be joking.