close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Work at home vs. commercial space?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Mar 19, 2010.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Has anyone who has worked at home moved to a commercial space for the sole purpose of fighting workaholism? I love what I do but I'm beginning to think that a commute a little longer than sixty feet across the yard would do wonders for my psyche. The downside is that the added expense and overhead would do nothing in adding to my bottom line. I'm really torn over this one. Thanks. HH

2. gh0st614

gh0st614

Its nice having the office to come to, but I find myself spending alot of hours here still that I could have been at home around my family at least.

3. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I wouldn't do anything that has a negative impact on your bottom line. There are plenty things you could do to give you a little more separation and space between work/home.

4. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Can you be more specific in regards to workaholism...is it you find yourself watching tv too much? Goofing around on the internet? Waking up later than usual?

I ask this because some things could be remedied by moving to an office, others, not so much. Which means you are spending x amount of dollars just to waste time doing an activity you were doing for free at home.

If it's something easy to fix, maybe try that. For instance, if you find yourself checking Glocktalk too much during "working" hours...maybe block the URL on your router or get a program that will prevent you from getting to it during certain hours. Or just unplug your computer from the internet if it's something you don't use (or use much) for work related stuff.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

None of the above. The proximity of the shop to the house makes it all too easy to go back to work after dinner, on weekends/holidays, etc. My wife jokingly suggested a time-lock for the door! HH

6. community

community Member

I have no problem. my 1500 sf studio is an addition to our house. close two doors and I am at home and out od the studio. works for me.

7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

ha, well I can see that being an issue. Maybe rent out a friends garage? heh

In all honesty, if you had a shop that you went to daily instead of working from home I can invision you staying at work later than you usually do instead of going to dinner then back to work. Time lock is an idea, but beyond that, maybe just pretend the floor of your workshop is flooded with lava after hours.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Sounds like boundary issues. You need to set boundaries for when you will work at home and post visual reminders to that effect. When it's time to quit, go for a walk around the neighborhood or a bike ride or head off to run some other errand.

When you return home you should be in a state of relaxation.

9. shavedape

shavedape

So if you got a commercial space somewhere what would stop you from bringing work home? I'm sure you would still delve into work after dinner in some aspect. It's a mental thing requiring discipline. Set limits and keep to them.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Honestly, it's a mindset thing more than it is a proximity thing. I'll work seven days a week if I have it to do and I let myself.

Even if you have office space across town from the house, if you don't program yourself to relax and be in non-work mode, you'll still go to the office to get stuff done.

11. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

shavedape and Eyescream on the mark. As well, you could end up just working through dinner and coming home late, and that'd be even worse.

The cost of rent, utilities, commute, etc, is huge. It isn't worth spending to avoid exercising the self-control, which you'll almost certainly have to do anyway.

Decide that THESE hours are for working, and THESE hours are for not working. Make some of them flexible. Make some rituals or habits to force yourself/give yourself an excuse. "I can't go back to work tonight because it's Thursday, and that means it's movie/game/whatever night." Etc, so forth.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

This is spot on.

The problem is not your proximity to your work. The problem is your work's proximity to the top of your list of priorities.

There's nothing shameful about being driven. There's a whole lot of shame in robbing your family of time with you.

When the bell rings at the end of your day, put it down, walk away and go take some time off. Like, about 16 hours. Come back the next day refreshed.

You don't need to move your work space's location, physically. You need to move it down the list of things you care about when you're off the clock.