Home > The Main Room > Tech Talk > Word 2007

Word 2007

1. Who is using it?

I just installed it on my machine and it sure is strange! I almost have to learn it all over again.

2. Using it at home and work. Love the new interface.

3. you could always try OpenOffice. it is free and will see all the extensions of office and wp and more.

It is what I use on the mac because I dont want to purchase ms for mac office.

4. Any reasons to use it over an older version? Any neat new features? How long did it take you to get use to it?

5. I dont use word much but I like the whole office 07 package

6. None what so ever ... personally I hated the new interface so much I went back to 2003.

7. I'd say that's a matter of personal opinion. Given time, the new interface can make you a much more productive user.

Excel has some cool new features as far as spreadsheet size and conditional formatting...if that floats your boat.:) All applications can natively save PDF files, which is INCREDIBLY useful. Live formatting preview (ie., you drop down the font list, the entire document auto-reformats to give you a preview of how each font change will affect the document.)

Ya know how in Office 2003 you're given the option to share interface and application feedback with Microsoft? Well, they're using it, they analyzed 1.3 BILLION user sessions to design this new interface. They know what commands people use, they know how they use them, they know in which order they use them. All of this data was used to design the new interface, and for the vast majority of users, Office 2007 marks a turning point in productivity and ease of use.

8. I am starting to get the hang of this thing. It is really neat! I like how you can hover over an option and see what it will look like on your page before you click it. Anyone know how to set defaults on it? (if possible?)

I want to put it to Times and 12pt font.

9. How to change the style of the default font in Word 2007
    To change the style of the default font in Word 2007, follow these steps:
    1. If you do not have a document open, create a new document that is based on the Normal template.

To do this, click the Microsoft Office Button, click New in the New Document task pane, click Blank Document, and then click Create.
    2. In the Font group, click Fonts.
    3. Select the font, the point size, and any attributes that you want in the Fonts dialog box.
    4. Click Default.
    5. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Do you want to change the default font to font name?
    This change will affect all new documents based on the NORMAL template.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
    8. In the Customize tab, select Commands Not in the Ribbon in the list, and then select Save All.
    9. Click Add, click OK, and then click Save All in the customized Quick Access Toolbar.

Note If Word prompts you to save the new blank document, click Cancel. If you want Word to prompt you to save the changes to the Normal template, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
    2. In the Advanced tab, click to select the Prompt before saving Normal template check box in the Save group.