close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WORCS race... story & pics

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DaisyCutter, Oct 2, 2006.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

My first WORCS race. (Story & Pics)

I've raced the local AMRA series for a couple years. As the series grows we pick up bigger and better races. Earlier this year, we hosted the AMA National Harescrambles season opener. Yesterday, we co-hosted a WORCS (World Off-Road Championship Series) race. It's a much bigger and more established series, with primo riders driving halfway across the country to compete.

Yesterday, was my first WORCS race. Yes... I survived.

Here's the view from the driver's seat as I approached the event (held at at Canyon Off-Road Park).

[​IMG]

It was a madhouse. There was no parking within 1/4 mile of the registration booth. BTW, I don't have a lot of pics, sorry. I was here for business, not spectatiing.

The next two images capture the metamorphisis of my bike from a AMRA race machine to a WORCS machine.

Gone was the yellow plated "20X" I'd grown used to...

[​IMG]

And in it's place...

Number 2788.... Damn, I immediately felt a lot slower..

[​IMG]

Sheesh, at least it's yellow "B" plate...

Here's a few pics of the factory race teams... they bring the money and the pro riders. That's what the crowd is paying for, not me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, how did my race go, you ask??

I raced in the 250B class. My bike is a KX250 and the "B" denotes skill level. "Pros" get paid, "As" are experts, "Bs" are amateurs, etc. There's also a "C" class and a "sportsman" class... for the more sane riders. Don't fool yourself, anyone who races an event like this, in any class, is usually a very competent rider. A lot of racers "sandbag" in the lower classes to place higher.

The WORCS races consist of a motocross track portion and an outdoor/desert section. The course length is about 4-5 miles, and the race is 70 minutes.

When the gate dropped for my race, I got a real good start. I was near the front of the pack. Then after the second turn some idiot lost momentum right in front of me. When he accelerated I instinctively ducked my head, but it was too late and I got absolutely pasted with fresh mud. *NICE*

I had a good first lap. I did swap-out a couple times landing some of the jumps in the bad ruts. But I never wrecked. Even though I started out strong, the WORCS riders are very competitive. Several times I was riding another guys rear fender looking for a place to pass, and I'd get passed on both sides. Three-wide down a rocky creek bed can be intense.

After a couple laps, the 102°F heat got the better of me and I started getting nausea and really bad muscle fatigue, indicative of overheating.. I hadn't trained enough for this race, and it had caught up with me. I had to slow down a lot just to have any hope of finishing the race without getting busted up.

As for how I placed... it was a non-stellar 21st of 27. I was hoping for around 15th... but the competition didn't drive hundreds of miles to let me win. I just didn't do enough work to be in shape.

Few people realize the amount of stamina required to compete in this sport. I drank two 32oz gatorades and 3 liters of water following the race. I saw one of my buddies chug 3 large containers of Pedialite (the little known secret weapon). Last night, I split the evening hours between being cramped up and having weird muscle spasms. Today, I was pretty much crippled by sore muscles. This is when you really know you're alive, LOL.

Here's a pic (of me) a friend of mine captured:

[​IMG]

This was part of the desert section. In this area the rocks were relatively small... about the size of a persons head. In other sections, the rocks were basketball sized.... which are lovely to land on after a nice jump. I know I look fat in this photo. Please realize that I'm wearing A LOT of body armor. Rocks hurt when you hit 'em.

I'll post more pics once the professional photographers start peddling their work.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It sounded like you had a blast.

3. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Cool pic :thumbsup: Sounds like it was a tough race, heat exhaustion sucks bigtime. Did you at least have some fun before that? :)

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I did have some fun. There were some back to back "suicide double" jumps that I'd practiced a couple weeks ago. A lot of "B" racers are afraid to pull the trigger on the 40+ foot leaps, since they look scary. Plus once you clear the first set, it's too late to slow down for the second set. You're committed.

I flew over a couple guys in that section. It was a thrill for a guy who does off-road racing, not motocross... to out jump other riders.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If there are some good pics of you getting some air, don't forget to post.:banana:

6. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

GET YOUR ELBOWS UP!
    Dropping your elbows like you are throws off your body position and doesn't allow your arms to act as additional suspension.
    I spent 3 years racing pro-mx and had a riding coach/instructor that worked with me to instill the elbows up riding position (and guess what.... he was right). In most of the pics you've posted here on GT, I've noticed you were dropping your elbows.
    Check out these Google pics of James Stewart, pay attention to how high his elbows are especially in whoop sections and jumps. Rarely do the elbows drop below bar level.
    http://images.google.com/images?sou...A:2006-05,DELA:en&q=bubba stewart&sa=N&tab=wi

Just trying to give you some pointers!
    Good racing!
    :thumbsup:

7. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

That's really good advice. I'll admit that my form ain't near perfect. It may be a result of being 6'2" tall, and being more cramped on the bike.

Remember also that my form degrades as the race wears on. I was duck-walking the bike through the rocks by the last lap. :supergrin:

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

High speed bar-to-bar baby...

[​IMG]

This pic was taken a moment before I got roosted, right off the start. Homeboy on the Yamaha lost momentum (due to the downed rider?) and pasted my with roost. DUCK THE HEAD!

209... I got your number.

[​IMG]

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

another:

[​IMG]

Still gotta work on that elbow thing... ;)

At least I wasn't sitting though... that's the worst, LOL.