close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WOOOO HOOO fur check came !!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Jun 21, 2006.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

My Father and myself sent our fur out about 2 months ago and got our first check yesterday!

We sold almost all our fur ( we just ran a small line behind my house) the rest is to be re offered.

We did real good on 'rats ( av. $ 9 a rat, high was 10.50!)

Beaver went well (av. 25, high of 43)

Otter was a little dissapointing, it was going for about $200 at the earlier auctions, we sold one for $75 and the rest were pulled to be re offered.

None of our 'coon sold, there is such a surplus I don't really know if they will.

I got $13 for a big female 'yote I shot with a 12 gauge slug during deer season, I was happy with that.

Mink and grey fox also went pretty good.

All in all it was a very good auction, and the money I made (split 50/50 with Dad)) will just about pay for my Alabama hunting trip this January.

We're going to target Fisher this year (av. $100 ea.) so I'm all pumped for the next season!!

2. noway

noway

I'm surprise that otter was so low and yes you are correct that coons aren't getting anything. I give them pelts to a beginner taxidermist that trying his hands at tanning furs.

if you want to make me an offer on a otter pelt PM .

3. Toyman

Toyman

Rats? You got that much for Muskrats?

4. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I know,(wonderfully) insane , isn't it?:) The high was $11 for rats!! I'm setting out a TON of 110's this fall!!!

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Always a good feeling. I've never made money on my furs, but it does take the bite out of the costs. I'd do it all for nothing though.

I don't know anyone making money on raccoon now. Most guys I know use coon hunting as dog training anymore.

Bobcat has jumped up quite a bit. Enough where I'm going to stick to mostly bobcat and fox sets this winter and leave the coyotes for the call.

6. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Good pale cats were going for around $300 I think.

You're dead on about the coon, there's no market for them right now.

And as for making money on the line, I've had good and bad years, I just enjoy being out there with my Father. When he had bypass surgery 2 years ago He missed the entire hunting season.It was the first hunting season in 47 years he had missed(when he was in 'NAM he hunted whenever he came back for leave)so i would be damned if he missed the entire trapping season! He was house bound almost all winter. The doc gave him the O.k. in January and I promptly got him out running a small line with me behind my house. We've done it for the last 2 seasons and I have no intention of stopping.

It's what Hunting/trapping is all about, the connection with the outdoors and the people we share it with.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Damn straight. :thumbsup: