Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Watcher.
41,287 Posts
Need or want,I handle winter with bdus and long johns.I have/use wool socks/gloves/wraps ect.'08.

·
Combat Diver
3,726 Posts
I agree with 08. The benefit of wool is it keeps you warm when wet. If you can stay dry or manage moisture in another way that is cheaper, they you are OK. I wear poly pro long johns over nylon North face hiking pants. The nylon helps the poly pro stay dry and it keep the wind off. All much cheaper than the $245. I have some Filson hunting gear and while very fashionable on the dove field, it is by no means a mandate.

Try the Cabelas first.

·
Watcher.
41,287 Posts
There is a lot of European surplus out there, most of them will do well in the winter. The downside is its heavy.'08.

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
I agree with 08. The benefit of wool is it keeps you warm when wet. If you can stay dry or manage moisture in another way that is cheaper, they you are OK. I wear poly pro long johns over nylon North face hiking pants. The nylon helps the poly pro stay dry and it keep the wind off. All much cheaper than the $245. I have some Filson hunting gear and while very fashionable on the dove field, it is by no means a mandate.

Try the Cabelas first.
The other benefit is wool is fire resistant. If a coal jumps out of the fire, it won't melt the wool to your skin. Pay once, cry once.

·
Registered
11,743 Posts
As a long time Filson fan and their headquarters is here locally, I asked the question about the price. It, to a certain extent, reflects that the wool is US of a grade that meets their standard and is all put together here, in the US. It's pricey but very, very good stuff. I'm in luck (or cursed?) that they have an outlet store 45 minutes away from my house . . .

I evolved in that as a kid, wool was cheap for hiking and camping so I wore that. Then off to synthetics in the military. Then watching a friend get pretty badly burned when his synthetics caught fire. More wool researching. Settling on Merino as a favorite and now back to wool for my usual camping and hiking stuff.

Reactions: nursetim

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Don't know what your use for wool pants is. I work construction and in the winter you can't beat them. I hit the Goodwill store and often find wool pants. Sometimes you have to buy the whole suit they come with, but for $25-35 and maybe a little outdated, they work. I had a plaid pair years ago and everyone laughed at them while I was warm and they were freezing their baguettes off. Just a thought and besides, we're still in tough economic times regardless of what the media says. First shot.

·
Registered
11,743 Posts
I hit the Goodwill store and often find wool pants.
It is amazing what you find at Goodwill stores. If you can beat the professional gleaners there, you can find some good things.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,572 Posts
If a coal jumps out of the fire, it won't melt the wool to your skin.
Pay once, cry once.
Or just yell:

"Holy frickin' geezus this synthetic sh*t is doing a nuclear melt through my thigh!!!"
:laughing:

Reactions: wiskeyVI

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have two pairs of the Cabelas Legacy Superwash wool pants that I bought on sale. If I remember correctly one pair was $40 and the other was $60(sale prices... they usually go on sale just before hunting season). I do not own the Filson Mackinaw pants, but I do own a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser jacket and I have to say that the Filson wool is a tighter weave that does a better job at blocking wind. The Filson wool is also made from finer gauge and longer wool fibers making it less itchy, and likely more water resistant.

On sale the Cabelas 100% wool pants are very much worth the money in my opinion, but they are Made in China. Someday I will buy a pair of the Filson wool pants simply for the fact that the Filson wool itself is of such high quality when compared to the many other wool items I own, and the construction of my American-Made Mackinaw Cruiser is absolutely perfect in every way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By all accounts they make amazing wool products. Do they have 30% coupons? That would probably be the only way I'd be able to get them.

Were the GI pants in WWII that good of a weave? They seemed to do alright. If I can find them on sale I'll take a chance, but the Cabela's may be good enough. Maybe I could throw a layer under or over them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.