WOOHOO, I WON, I WON...........

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flyover, Mar 9, 2017.

1. flyover

flyover

Yep, got the call from PCH, that's Publishers Clearing House for you that don't know. The guy said I won $950K and a new 2016 Denali pickup. I'm thinking damn this is nice, then I start paying attention and remembering stuff.

#1 PCH does not call, fax,email or send letters to major prize winners. They show up at your door and Surprise!!!
    #2 Why do I hear 15 dogs barking in the Background?
    #3 Oh, you will pay 99% for taxes on the prize, I just need to send you $225.00.

Scam, damn,damn scam. :fist::steamed::fist::steamed:

They didn't get anything from me but the bank and the state Attorney General will get a call tomorrow.

2. OldDad

OldDad

Dang! You scared me! I'm expecting PCH to show up here any day now. I'm already spending the money on guns and ammo!

3. fusegsp

fusegsp

Those scams are getting more and more intricate. My girlfriend thought she won last year when Ed McMahon knocked on the door. She was crestfallen when I told her he died in 2009.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

People everywhere trying to give you money :)

First shot likes this.
  5. First shot

First shot

At least it could give you something to dream about, till the scam guys enter and ruin it. I had one on the phone last year that got so mad at me because I wouldn't give him my CC#, that he lost it and started swearing at me. Of course I may have toyed with him a teeny weeny bit first. Even my 95 year old mother has chewed a few of them out.

6. Dragline

Dragline

Report the info to The Hoax Hotel.

7. Tvov

Tvov

There are various places to "report" these scams, but from what I understand most of the people who fall for these scams don't check sites like that.

Police, Attorney General's office, Town Hall, etc - they will all politely take your complaint / report, and file it. If they are honest they will tell you that nothing will be done. There are so many of these scams running constantly that there is realistically no way to pursue / prosecute them.

I love, on Facebook, all the people "liking" and forwarding all the "like this and get a new car!" BS posts. Same with all those "surveys" that "only 4 out of 10 people get right", or "what does your name mean in your past life", or "Can you do these math equations", etc etc. Even when you tell them it is fake and only being done for advertising and information gathering, they just say "well, it doesn't hurt anything and maybe one day I'll win... why are you just a Debbie Downer??".

8. glock collector

glock collector

on the "other" hand....the world needs some dumbarsses to fall for these scams, otherwise some dude in a lil tin shack with internet, in india, would have to wear the same undershorts each day....

9. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Some people have all the luck. I got a call from the "IRS" the other day. It seems that I owe a lot of money and if I don't settle the matter immediately I can be "Damn sure" extreme legal action will be taken. I just wish I could meet the "agent" in person to settle the matter.

I get so many scam calls that it is really starting to get frustrating.

10. JohnnyJ

JohnnyJ God, Family and Friends

Western Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi
    Ever wonder how many people fall for those scams? It is a darn shame.

11. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Simple solution that's worked for me:

Don't take calls from anybody not in your phone directory. Just send them to voicemail. If they don't leave a message block the number. Its really started to cut down on the number of fake calls I get.

12. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

:number1: For using the word "crestfallen" in a sentence and spelling it correctly.

Send $10,000 is small, non-sequential bills to me and I'll forward your prize, a brand new Ferrari delivered by Christie Brinkley! Hurry now.
    [​IMG]

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  13. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

My crest fell many years ago.
    And it can't get up. :sigh:

14. misterfox

misterfox Still Standing

Having the scammers swear at you is a BIG win!

Even bigger if they call back to swear at you!

railfancwb and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  15. Dragline

Dragline

Look up The Hoax Hotel scammer videos on YouTube.
    He strings them along, often talking nonsense and sometimes for hours and then ends up cursing at them in their own language.
    Really freaks out the scammers.
    This guy also has a ton of followers and he will spam out the scammers phone numbers to everyone so they get blasted with fake calls until the number gets taken down.

Also here is story in today's news explaining the culture of Nigerian scammers where they essentially feel it's ok and matter of pride to steal from people in other countries, especially the US.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/nation-world/world/article137299238.html

This one is pretty funny.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Just_plinking likes this.
  16. flyover

flyover

Last night I called the local Sheriffs Office, they have a FB page they post the scams that are going around. I have spent most of the morning on the phone alerting the bank and credit card company. I put a call in to the State AG Office and was told to report it to the Federal Trade Commission for all the good it will do.

17. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Ugh! So they had an actual guy show up at her door pretending to be Ed?

That's more than a scam...that's a possible prelude to a home invasion or kidnapping.

18. wnr700

wnr700

I had this guy who worked for me.

He was borderline homeless because he was bad with money but the hardest damn worker I ever had.

Walked in on day and said... "this rich girl in Nigeria is dying and wants to send me $7 million dollars because she wanted to make people happy before she died."

The "negotiations" went on for weeks if not more than a month because he did not have a bank account.

He never believed it was a scam despite me printing off scam reports of this girl doing the same scam on others.

In the end, he had to pay USPS or UPS $395 or something for the delivery of the packet of info from the scammer.

Guess he didn't inherit the $7M, because Christmas Eve that same year I had him arrested when I caught him on a trail/deer camera stealing TV's from one of my storage units.

19. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Post of the day!

20. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

[​IMG]

JMag likes this.