Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased the Hill People Gear Kit Bag V2. I had a V1 version a few years ago and I did like it. I ended up selling it because the color was foliage green and I sold the bag that matched it. I thought I’d replace it with something else but never did. Here’s the type of bag I bought (just the darker brown bag):
D88A7583-48D7-4932-911D-6FE6D173FA46.jpeg

As you can see it’s a chest carry type system. I like that it doesn’t really interfere in wearing a pack. I dislike off body carry so this seems to be a good way to keep the gun on me, accessible, yet out of the way. Like I said, I’ve used one before. My concern is that it’s a bit big. However, with my 43 and some other small items it’ll still function well. The key is to not overload it. Just because there is space doesn’t mean it needs to be filled. I was going to go with HPG’s smaller bag called the Snubby. However they said for larger frame folks that most people wish they’d gone bigger. So, I guess I’m back where I started.

What do you use for carry while hiking, bumming in the woods, or whatever? I’m curious to see what other people have come up for solutions and why. Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am considering the same bag to carry my Glock 40 MOS with optic mounted. Do you think the G40 would fit? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am considering the same bag to carry my Glock 40 MOS with optic mounted. Do you think the G40 would fit? Thanks for sharing.
They hold a 1911, so that’s close to the same dimensions. I had a Glock 19 in my V1 years ago and it was roomy with that.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I own the heavy recon. I use it for Amateur radio community service events, recumbent trike rides, and hunting trips. Very well made. I use a velcro holster and mag carrier in the aft compartment and pack according to the event.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I carry my S&W 500, Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull or S&W 629 3” Deluxe 44 Magnum in a Chest Holster such as by Gunfighters, Inc Kenai chest holster, Quicklock Holsters Susitna chest holsters or my 2A holsters chest holster.

The Quicklock Holsters Susitna chest holsters can convert to an OWB belt holster.

The 2A can change from barrel up, barrel down or barrel horizontal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Recon chest bag here too. Got it years ago for fishing. Great pack and good way to somewhat discreetly carry. I just got the little 26 and it’s nice to just throw it in my back pocket with the trigger guard that Hill People sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the gunfighters inc kenai chest holster for my glock 20 that I carry in the backwoods when dispersed camping. I just ordered a tlr-1 HL for it as well. For some reason, wife, myself and the 2 dogs tend to come across bears and coyotes when out camping. Bear spray on the belt, glock on the chest and 12ga semi auto in the camper trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,308 Posts
I have been eyeballing those for years, I really need to just order one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I carry a g40, 10mm 200 gr Underwood hard cast in a kenai chest rig. Wore it w my pack for a 14 hour hike the first time I used it....dropped the pack a few times for breaks.....never felt like taking off my rig. Recommended it to a friend who Carrie's a g10 the same way for 4 to 6 hour fishing. We are in.big bear country.... I carry more in the woods....just that in the rocks at altitude

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've tried various chest holsters and have yet to find one that doesn't make me feel claustrophobic. I don't like all the straps everywhere. Backpack straps, chest holster straps, binocular straps. Makes me feel like I've been cargo netted. That is all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Today I purchased the Hill People Gear Kit Bag V2. I had a V1 version a few years ago and I did like it. I ended up selling it because the color was foliage green and I sold the bag that matched it. I thought I’d replace it with something else but never did. Here’s the type of bag I bought (just the darker brown bag):
View attachment 740898
As you can see it’s a chest carry type system. I like that it doesn’t really interfere in wearing a pack. I dislike off body carry so this seems to be a good way to keep the gun on me, accessible, yet out of the way. Like I said, I’ve used one before. My concern is that it’s a bit big. However, with my 43 and some other small items it’ll still function well. The key is to not overload it. Just because there is space doesn’t mean it needs to be filled. I was going to go with HPG’s smaller bag called the Snubby. However they said for larger frame folks that most people wish they’d gone bigger. So, I guess I’m back where I started.

What do you use for carry while hiking, bumming in the woods, or whatever? I’m curious to see what other people have come up for solutions and why. Thanks!
Arming yourself in the woods is always a good idea but what is the purpose of concealing your firearm in the backcountry? It seems like a OWB holster would keep it at the ready.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arming yourself in the woods is always a good idea but what is the purpose of concealing your firearm in the backcountry? It seems like a OWB holster would keep it at the ready.
I’ve hiked on national parks and other recreation areas. It’s nice to keep a low profile around the crunchy granola types. OWB does work ok in some instances, but with some of my packs with a waist belt it’s a no go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’ve hiked on national parks and other recreation areas. It’s nice to keep a low profile around the crunchy granola types. OWB does work ok in some instances, but with some of my packs with a waist belt it’s a no go.
Understood. Crunchy granola types...I laughed out loud when I read that. We don’t have too many of those in Alabama.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looking for a holster that will hold a couple different pistols in a Maxpedition Falcon II pack, I’m not crazy about the one Maxpedition makes so looking for other options. Pistols will be one of the following…

HK P30
S&W MP2.0 Compact 4.25”
Sig Nightmare Carry 4.25”
S&W MP2.0 Full size 5”
S&W 329

I could drop the full size S&W, as the rest are basically the same size, length wise, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought the Hill People Gear Kit Bag V2 and carry my Glock 40 MOS in it. It works well with my Maxpedition Falcon II using the V2 lifter straps. I am planning to use this as my handgun deer hunting setup.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've looked at those I don't know how many times, but for some reason cannot commit to one. I don't carry the Falcon all the time, sometimes it's a Versapack or a 3 day pack from years ago. The Falcon is the only bag that gives me "issues", and if I had to guess, it's due to the fact when I carry it I use the belt as well, the other bags, not so at all.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I like that holster from gunfighters inc, chest holster. Most of the time out & about it’s cool enough for a sweatshirt or light jacket. My idea is at least semi-concealed.

Don’t have one yet, thinking about it though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts