GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Its fun to read reply's from guys that have zero real woods skills or hunting experience .

Borg warner most carry a 500sw revolver after reading his old reply .

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,497 Posts
I usually carry a 30-30 lever gun when in bear areas.. A handgun is a weapon of last resort IMO.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
While I think the "What is the best round for.." discussions are fun, this one is, perhaps, un-needed. If you are in the woods in Georgia, you aren't really going to need a gun against an animal. Black bear or hog, they are going to be running away, not toward you. If you do need a gun, it will be against a human, or MAYBE a dog pack. A g26 loaded with good JHP self-defense ammo is going to be fine.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,141 Posts
Borg maybe the OP should carry a 454 casull then ?? Mo Power
If not for having 52 years hunting and woods experience around black bears , hogs and even panthers as I spent most of my life in SW FL swamps as often as possible I might pay attention to what you and a couple others had to say but I know what it takes to stop a black bear or hog but smart enough to avoid getting there attention focused on me by paying attention in the woods or even around your house in the spring time when young bears are out and about , at least here . In the hands of a novice woodsman its doubtful anything is just right if needed and if you have to ask what load should be you carry , your a novice . So at least be able to shoot what your have quickly and accurately and carry comfortably all day long . Might be a standard 180gr speer gd or ranger t series would be better if the OP can shoots it better and quicker . I stay with my 40sw for a day in the woods .
I have as little interest in your reply as you have in mine so lets move on and hope the OP does not need to draw his bang bang .
"Borg maybe the OP should carry a 454 casull then ?? Mo Power"

Reading your entit post, I actually agrew iwth most of what you say. but as far as teh 454 Casull, compared to a Glock 20 with full power heavy bullet loads, a 454 Casull is a bigger, heavier gun, slower to get out of the holster and slower to get into action, and less controllable for repeat shots and would probaly take a lot more time to learn how to shoot well.

I have a choice of two woods guns that I carry when hiking the Bob Marshal wilderness in Montana where there are Grizzlys. I could carry a 4 inch S&W model 58 with 6 rounds of Underwood 265 grain Hardcast flat nose loads which develop 1350 fps/1072 fpe or I could carry my Glock 20sf with 16 rounds of Underwood 10mm 220 grain hardcast flat nose which develop 1200 fps/703 fpe.

I chose the Glock 20 because with the heaviest loads in both guns I shoot the Glock better and even though I started out shooting DA revolvers and shoot them very well, I shoot the Glock better.

And even for smaller critters than Grizzly the ease of shooting the Glock 20 with even the hottest loads is not going to kill smaller predators or two-legged ones TOO dead. There are no feral hogs in my area but if there were, I wouldn't want anything less than my Glock 20 especially considering how well I can shoot it.

And anybody carrying any gun need to learn to shoot it well first and foremost, and as far as that goes it really helps to know how to reload.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Borg Warner I was just replying to your comment - Better to have too much gun than not enough. You can't kill anything TOO dead. So maybe a 454, even a 500 s&w !!

Carry what you want , a 10mm makes for a good short range deer gun too . Not like I care , but small care serve well too on black bear just expect the occasional smart arsed reply when you open the door so wide for it !! ha

But for all - I've been around black bears since I was 13 mostly around our fakahatchee strand hunt camp or our hog trap areas do to the sour mash we used for bait till I was 42 years in sw fl and now in NC mountains for the last 23 the occasional younger bear will visit or pass thru occasionally most often in the spring but perhaps I'm a bit more woods wise than some guys . I keep a 12ga filled with rubber buck shot for chasing them off from around the house young old or moma with cubs . I've never had to shoot one yet but when hunting I could smell them first then hear them walk by in the dark when going to a stand or hear the warning woof or jaw pooping so I could just size up a change in direction I was walking . I have had to walk away from a deer stealing skinny younger bear during bow season that wanted it more than I did or had to changes stands when a I shine a bear sleeping in my ladder stand one morning .

I would worry more about edge of city bears than wild woods bears .
Asheville has more issues every year with BB's like in the link below -

april this year and sorry for the corvid -19 news . - https://wcti12.com/news/offbeat/peo...=dd90c0518b164dc6b8c8a17adaf89b31&jwsource=cl

Hunters around have have killed bears with all sorts of smaller cartridge handguns mostly during bow season . To many people walk around in the woods like there on a city sidewalk blind to most of what's going on around them . I've been in a climber about 25 foot up and had some mutt looking for genseng stop to pee on my tree when he notice the pull rope at eye level and looked up and saw me watching him . Never seen a guy run like that down a hill side .

Leave the cell phone on vibrate , no punch buttons while walking and no music or ear buds , no running or mountain biking alone ether . some one need to be able to help you if needed and call 911 ! Just enjoy the out doors for what I offers . Don't shot first , It might be just a hunter or season nature lover .

41 - 45 of 45 Posts