Woods carry round type philosophy

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by FoatieFiveACP, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Jonny Yuma

Jonny Yuma

This.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Again, depends. I wouldnt want to try & stop a big grizz with jhp in anything under 50 & even then, wnfp is a better tool.

3. fredj338

fredj338

You could bump that charge a bit. Hornady says 13.2 & I've gone a bt more in a stock glock bbl with no smily face.:cheers:

CTM_357 and jr24 like this.
  4. jr24

jr24

Yeah, probably, it's just a really good accuracy spot with my RIA 1911. I'll confess to not wanting to push it too much because ... well, it's an RIA and then I'd want to go with some heavier springs and then there's a whole nother ball of variables.

As it is I get just under 1200 fps on average, depending on conditions, and very good accuracy. Good enough for lower 48 black bears.

When I was worried about running into real bears (900+ lb Alaskan coastal browns) or moose, I had my Redhawk with 300 grain Garrett Hammerheads. Not fun to shoot but I got 1350-1140 fps out of my 4" Ruger.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    fredj338 likes this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

I get 1200fos or a bit more in my g20sf. Your 5" bbl helps. I wouldnt run my load in my gen1 delta, they were prone to cracking.

CTM_357 and jr24 like this.
  6. Lil

Lil

My woods load is predicated on the most difficult-to-stop threat (moose, cat, bear) not the highest probability threat (two-leg). When the fur's flying I'll take straight-line penetration to infinity with a wide, sharp meplat. No deflection or deformation. FMJ - no thanks. 200 gr WFNHC carries the day. Two-leg pass-thru singing Ventilator Blues? Doesn't concern me in the least.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    fredj338 and unit1069 like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I seriously doubt that a 200 grain hardcast flat-nose developing 700 foot pounds is going to fail to stop a human threat, but if for some freak reason it fails to do so after the first shot, just keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.

CTM_357, fredj338, jr24 and 1 other person like this.
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1

I see this treads started by a guy looking for options for those ornery wild pigs and black bear in georgia woods and made a left hand turn into covering the needs for Grizzly bears and Moose and them wild big cats .

9. t-shooter

t-shooter

Imagine a Glock Talk thread going off topic. I never heard of such a thing, LOL!

clancy and hardluk1 like this.
  10. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I also do a lot of hiking in Georgia and am more concerned with people, dogs and traveling light than wild animals so my "woods gun" is currently a Glock 43 loaded with Speer +P Gold Dots. I did buy a S&W 69 after the pig incident described below but found it was too large and heavy to carry on long hikes. And while I can carry my G43 IWB with a pack on carrying a big gun with a pack is a pain.

Most of the people and dogs I have met on the trail have been friendly but there are so many more of them than there are wild animals that is what I worry about.

I have run across several black bears including mothers with cubs and never felt threatened by them. The single bears run away and the ones with cubs do the same after they coax the cubs out of the tree they run up when startled. I do back off to give them a lot of room.

I did feel threatened by a wild boar/feral pig once. I was on the AT near Blood Mountain, came around a sharp bend and surprised a sow nursing a few piglets on the trail. They all ran into the brush but the mother came back, kind of grunted at me and bobbed up and down a bit while her piglets crossed the trail and then ran off after them. I guess the grass was greener on the other side of the trail. It was all bluff but I am glad I did not have to rely on a 9mm against a big pig.

I did try some 147 grain +P hardcast rounds from Underwood in my G43 but had 3 FTFs out of 20 rounds in a gun that has gun that has never had a FTF with any other type of ammo. After that I decided to carry ammo best suited to the most likely threat instead of picking a round that tries to do everything. And even if the 147 hardcast SWC ammo had worked well it doesn't really make the 9mm a good choice against wild boar.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1

But a wise person pays attention hears or see's the hogs and moves away and around them down wind of course . They smell very well but eye sights not so hot .

12. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Better to have too much gun than not enough. You can't kill anything TOO dead.

CTM_357 likes this.
  13. hardluk1

hardluk1

Borg maybe the OP should carry a 454 casull then ?? Mo Power
    If not for having 52 years hunting and woods experience around black bears , hogs and even panthers as I spent most of my life in SW FL swamps as often as possible I might pay attention to what you and a couple others had to say but I know what it takes to stop a black bear or hog but smart enough to avoid getting there attention focused on me by paying attention in the woods or even around your house in the spring time when young bears are out and about , at least here . In the hands of a novice woodsman its doubtful anything is just right if needed and if you have to ask what load should be you carry , your a novice . So at least be able to shoot what your have quickly and accurately and carry comfortably all day long . Might be a standard 180gr speer gd or ranger t series would be better if the OP can shoots it better and quicker . I stay with my 40sw for a day in the woods .
    I have as little interest in your reply as you have in mine so lets move on and hope the OP does not need to draw his bang bang .

14. 1canvas

1canvas

My opinion is for woods carry if I’m defending against an animal attack it will be coming at me, also an animal running at me will be moving so my aim will be off. I think the best choice is a flat nose hard cast bullet. As far as people are concerned don’t dismiss what damage a flat nose will do to a person. Maybe not as much as a hollow point but hit them anywhere and the attack will stop.
    I carry bow hunting and I have a G20, G23, and a G30 that I sometimes carry in the woods and they all have Underwood’s flat nose hard cast ammo for woods carry.

15. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

My woods gun in South Georgia is normally a 642. When I'm in the woods my HST's are swapped for wadcutters. Rolled up on a large rattle snake returning to our trucks after hunting dove this morning. We were all looking at it pulled my 642 from my pocket and popped him in the neck. So far a 642 has always done what I needed it to do. I'm convinced it has a place in my pocket no matter what else I at be carrying

16. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Yes, I am revitalizing an old thread.......

Jeff Cooper used to say that carrying a truncated cone round was the best for all situations. Unlike a HP, you get the benefit of superior penetration, but less likely to over penetrate than with a round nose projectile. The RN goes through tissue like a knitting needle, where the flat tip truncated cone goes through like a paper punch. Hollow points typically perform well in test media, in an actual target, all bets are off. If you are unsure, carry the truncated cone with as wide a flat tip as your pistol will function with.
    [​IMG]

CTM_357 and fredj338 like this.
  17. Gokyo

Gokyo

Hard cast.

Because that is what drops out of my mold.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    CTM_357, fasteddie565 and fredj338 like this.
  18. 1canvas

1canvas

I believe that for woods carry if your defending against an animal it won’t be a broadside shot, it will be running at you, in that case penetration is king. In that scenario a truncated cone would be good but a hard cast seems it would be better.

IAhunter likes this.
  19. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona

20. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

A lot to think about here. In the woods I carry a Glock 20 with double tap bear tooth 200 gr hardened projectiles. I plan for confrontation with big forest animals. The same rounds will work just as well on the human counterpart. I also carry two mags as back up. Here it's mostly black bear, a crazy elk, a deer during rutting season, and occasionally a coyote or Puma. I have never had an encounter with any of these, except once with a weird hiker.