Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Deputydave, May 24, 2018.

1. .40 S&W

62.1%
  2. .357 Sig

37.9%
  1. 1canvas

1canvas

That’s what I do with my 23 when I don’t want to tote my 20. I carry the 23 loaded with Underwood’s 200 hard cast bullets.

Deputydave likes this.
  2. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

How much harder is it to carry (or shoot) a G20 than a G31 or G22? A G20 makes a lot more sense.

There is little difference between carrying even a smaller G23 and a full sized G20 when both are carried in an open carry holster with or without a cover garment.

fredj338 likes this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

In earlier days, when I was an avid handloader, my light/medium-duty backwoods 4-wheeling gun/load was a 160gr half-jacketed LSWC or a stoutly loaded 140gr JHP, both carried in one of my .357MAG revolvers.

During those occasional times when bodies were being found in the mountains (murder victims, body dumps), or the bears were coming a lot closer to hikers, campers and gold panners, I carried one of my .44MAG revolvers. Sometimes a stoutly handloaded .45Colt revolver.

I still have some .44 & .45 Colt handloads left over from those earlier days (80's-90's), but I also have quite a variety of suitable factory loads stored away, including some of the more modern heavier bullet weights for the .44MAG's.

There are a variety of heavy-for-caliber options for .357MAG available nowadays, too. It never goes out of style, and it doesn't require patronizing one of the smaller specialty ammo companies to get good performing loads. ;)

1canvas, George Kaplan, M 7 and 2 others like this.
  4. 1canvas

1canvas

There is enough of a difference for me to carry a 23 if I don’t need 10mm power. The 23 loaded is a half pound less by my scale and much less bulk.

AdamRodgers and Bus007 like this.
  5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

That's only an 8 ounce difference. But as far as overall bulk, I love my G23 and can carry it concealed much easier than a G20 or G21, but with open carry there isn't a lot of difference.

I still think that it's better to have the extra power and not need it than to need the extra power and not have it.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

357 sig with minuteman 125 grain 6 petal golddot 1500 FPS from a 4.5 inch barrel 625 ftlbs energy gets my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

triggerjerk and Railsplitter like this.
  7. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Both calibers are excellent as general purpose woods/trail guns especially when loaded with an Underwood product. The .40 has better choices of ammo when boars or black bears are a possibility, otherwise the 357 Sig gets the nod.

Deputydave likes this.
  8. Tino_Bustamante

Tino_Bustamante

I’d go with 40. To carry anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deputydave likes this.
  9. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

My $0.02 between the two options I would pick the .40 S&W with a hard cast flat nose bullet of some sort. I want to drive the bullet deep, braking anything on the way to the important, life sustaining organs. I don't have anything in 40 anymore, so I don't know if a bullet like the one I would like even exist, but a 180gr Simi-Wadcutter loaded fairly warm would be something that if I was stuck with these 2 choices and could not or didn't have one of my Big Bore Revolvers, I would pick. :cheers:

10. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

You can get a 200gr wide flat nose (WFN) from a few different bullet makers, it's relatively short for a 200gr and can be loaded past 1100 fps from a G23, which I think makes for a sweet setup if you're looking for max penetration. It's on the right beside the 200gr HST .40

[​IMG]

pAZ Ron and Deputydave like this.
  11. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Why? The SIG has more energy.

12. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Energy, at typical general-purpose handgun velocities is not a significant factor when choosing a SD/HD or woods carry round. Penetration is the significant factor with either caliber.

For grins I ordered some 357sig 125g FMJ and 125g Gold Dots to try out in my P2000. The GD’s seem to get adequate penetration, though about the same as my 124+P 9mm GD’s. But at least it will give me a viable HP option if I ever want to drop the 357sig barrel in the P2000.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Generally no, bear hide & muscle is a lot tougher than a person. Something like the XTP might hold together well enough @ 1200fps to penetrate to vitals, but a 200gr WNFP will go more than double that & break bone along the way if needed.

fastbolt, CanyonMan, Out West and 2 others like this.
  14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

OP, between the 40 and 357 sig, 40 for me...

I've always liked the .40. I've hand loaded for it for a good number of years, with 180 WNFP Hard Cast bullets, and good doses of Blue Dot or Power Pistol, or Unique. Several G23's (my favorite platform for this cal), and all of them performed flawless with the Hard Cast loads and OEM barrel.

In 357, I'll take the "Magnum," not the Sig. Other than my 45acp 1911, the 357 Mag, or G23, go out the door with me. However, I would not, over larger calibers, 'choose' either the 40 or 357 Sig for "woods carry," I would still, as I said, trust the .40, with the heavy hard cast flat points, 'If that was all I had'.

Don't know why so many are down on the .40 and G23/27 platforms for 'two legged critters'. I think loaded right, it's a fairly nasty round for 'human SD' and in a pinch, 'with the Hard Cast', on a big lion like we got here on the ranch it will work fine as well! There are better choices though. ;)

Be safe.

CanyonMan
    :horse:

Deputydave and AdamRodgers like this.
  15. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

On all the penetration test channels on YouTube 357 sig out penetrates 40 so I’ll stick with 357 sig for woods

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

Bus007 and Railsplitter like this.
  16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Also deep penetration isn't required for the great majority of woods threats. Big cats, wild dogs, humans and a variety of other threats that are much more likely to be encountered require less penetration than what is required for boar or bear and are stopped quicker with expanding bullets. Woods carry isn't all about bears and boars.

Also agree a G32 loaded with UA will take care of anything short of moose or brown bear.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

deleted.... Concerning rails post above here. Maybe later. Gotta go right quick. I saved what was writing to ya rail. Crazy post man ! Completely unbelievable !

CM

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  18. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Well, yes and no. Mostly no.

It depends on the bullet weight for each caliber in direct comparison to each other as well as bullet design. I've discussed this at length in other threads. To recap;

Using the Luckygunner data base.

357sig 125g Gold Dot 13.2 inches of penetration and .67 expansion.
    40 S&W 180g Gold Dot 14.5 inches of penetration and .65 expansion.

In this example I'd rather have the extra 1.3 inches of penetration rather than the .02 expansion.

I could list other examples back and forth but the above illustrates the point. Sometimes, depending on the load, the 357sig will penetrate deeper and sometimes the 40 S&W will penetrated deeper. However, in those tests, the largest expansion for a .357sig was .69 with the 125g PDX1 (and 15.4 penetration) which is respectable. But the largest 40 S&W was .82 with the 180g Golden Saber (with 13.8 penetration). A good number of the 40 loading expansions were in the .70+ range of expansion. So while the 357sig may occasionally penetrate a bit deeper the 40 usually expands larger while still penetrating deep and often out penetrates and out expands the 357sig. Again, depending on the load used as a comparison.

19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

As far as woods carry is concerned a lot depends on what part of the country you are going to be in and what animals/dangers will likely be encountered. Both the .40 and 357 Sig when properly loaded for the threats will be adequate for 95% of the wooded areas in the lower 48. Keep in mind that the majority of hikers, campers and tree huggers don't carry anything at all, I know I work with some of them, so just carrying a J frame puts you a step above.

Deputydave likes this.
  20. 1canvas

1canvas

Back in the day revolvers were tops for woods carry for me also. I really liked the .357 and .44 mag but my go to was a S&W .41 mag. Years later being more worried about multiple two legged encounters I began carrying autos. But those big magnum revolvers sure felt mighty nice on my side.

Deputydave likes this.