wood on a rifle

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by flakxd, Feb 22, 2010.

1. flakxd

flakxd

i just ordered a set (handguard, stock, and pistol grip) for my saiga. was wondering if anyone had any advice and/or tips on treating this wood before installing it on my saiga.

i was planning on sanding it down real good several times with 220 sandpaper, then going over it with 0000 steel wool, before coating it several times with some form of lynseed oil, tung oil, etc.

anyone have any advice before i begin and it's too late

TIA

edit: the wood is ash, fwiw

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Linseed only helps to waterproof the wood, but offers no protection from abrasion,etc. You need a real varnish, such as polyurethane or shellac. If you want your AK to have a more "traditional" look, pick up some Bullseye amber shellac at any well stocked home improvement store. A very light sanding is ok, but steel wool isnt a good idea because the preservative used to keep it from rusting can get into the wood, preventing the varnish from drying correctly. I finish with 150 sandpaper and then use amber shellac on anything russian. It's very easy to use, gives the wood a nice orange/amber glow and it dries quickly. Once dried, just buff it with some fine steel wool and it's done. Go to www.ak47.net and ask around.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010

3. hoffy

hoffy

Linseed oil, boiled I think and something else 50/50, for the life of me I can't remember. I worked at a gunshop years ago and a veteran owned it and had a lot of military weapons and gave me a jar of this stuff, whatever it is it has stayed mixed for all these years, might be turpentine, I don't know. But if you want toughest then some sort of polly will be the ticket, just may be shiny. Easiest way to fix scratches is to take some oil and put it on the scratch and take your finger and get some floor dirt(I am not kidding) and rub on the scratch, it will still be there but way less apparent. Learned that at the shop.

4. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

I don't think I've ever seen a Saiga conversion with wood furniture.

Is it prefabbed, or are you doing the work?

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Go to a wood working shop.

There are more options than I can go over and all products are not created equally.

Steel wool is probably not a good option, period.

Additionally if you are planning on adding grip diamonds this is the time to do it.

6. flakxd

flakxd

i ordered the set from a guy up in ohio who does a few batches a year. all i have to do is sand it and stain it. i just want to make sure i do it right before i begin. i have done the same with a few other rifles many years ago, but can't remember the exact steps and products i used before.

7. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Go to www.ak-47.net. They have a "refinishing forum" there that could be very helpful to you.

8. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

This. Interesting to see a saiga in wood furniture. Keep us posted i would like to see how it looks.

9. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

He's probably referring to the Saiga carbines, not the shotguns.

10. -gunut-

-gunut-

If anyone was wondering about wood on the saiga shotguns (not my pic)

[​IMG]

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Various forms of linseed oil are traditional and will provide some protection and have the advantage of being repairable, just sand and refinish or add more rubbed in oil to fix blemishes. My favorite stock finish is a synthetic, the brand name is Varathane Plastic Oil Sealer. I have not used it in a number of years, but you work it in like oil, then wet sand it to fill the grain of the wood. It takes several applications and you finish it using wet or dry automotive sand paper, you keep applying a coat, then sanding it level with the wood. Once the grain is filled you can finish with a top coat.

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

The wood on my Yugo came unfinished, and I didn't want the really shiny finish that people can put on their hardwood floor. I did a few applications of Tung oil, and am very happy with how it turned out. It is a matte, lightly shiny finish, but provides the protection that boiled linseed oil doesn't.